PDA

View Full Version : open track events?

NJSPEEDER
02-25-2007, 10:31 AM
jsut wondering who has had the opportunity to attend an open track day at a road course. what track? how was the place?

i went to road america in elkart lake, WI many years ago with the mid-west f-body association. it was a great time with 3 days of racing and some instruction from more experienced drivers.
i ran the track in a very lightly modified 91 RS(305TBI + 700R4) and still managed to get above 120mph every lap. great combination of wide open straights and technical corners.

EchoMirage
02-25-2007, 06:07 PM
never have, but want to in the worst way. i know this idea wont get anywhere, but we should get a group together and make a track day, like Lime Rock, Watkins Glen, Pocono....anywhere close. be nice to caravan down and spend a weekend racing TAs and Camaros. though if only a handful of people can afford a $50 dyno day, i can only imagine how many could plunk a few hundred or a grand for a weekend race.

2MCHPWR
02-27-2007, 08:23 PM
i'm going to Pocono (east course) on May 5th with PDA.

http://www.pdadrivingschool.com/

crainholio
05-16-2007, 10:09 PM
i'm going to Pocono (east course) on May 5th with PDA.

http://www.pdadrivingschool.com/

I'm thinking of going to PDA's thing at Pocono North in early June this season, I sat out the entire '06 season and the itch has returned.

Good to see your ride is still doing well, I thought I was the only LS1 conversion on the track back in '05.

2MCHPWR
05-17-2007, 09:06 AM
my car broke a valve spring in the middle of the first session, and my power steering hose burned against the header and spit fluid all over the motor. i thought it was on fire. sucky day for me :(

http://gallery.pdadrivingschool.com/pdaImages/2007/20070505_POC_DE3_2850.jpg

http://gallery.pdadrivingschool.com/pdaImages/2007/20070505_POC_DE3_2849.jpg

http://gallery.pdadrivingschool.com/pdaImages/2007/20070505_POC_DE3_2836.jpg

NJSPEEDER
05-17-2007, 01:22 PM
I'm thinking of going to PDA's thing at Pocono North in early June this season, I sat out the entire '06 season and the itch has returned.

Good to see your ride is still doing well, I thought I was the only LS1 conversion on the track back in '05.

wow! look who showed up. how's the car running?

2mchpower, pleae tell me you passed that viper. :)

Knipps
05-17-2007, 02:14 PM

:stupid: & you had !passenger in your favor

those pics take a few glances, otherwise it looks like you're on 3 wheels :lol:

Squirrel
05-17-2007, 02:54 PM
:stupid: & you had !passenger in your favor

those pics take a few glances, otherwise it looks like you're on 3 wheels :lol:

i believe he is..you can clearly see the shadow of the tire, the turn coupled with the lil dip right there= tre wheelios:)

NJSPEEDER
05-17-2007, 04:31 PM
how was the east course anyway? i have been told that there are a few spots that it is hard to pick up landmarks because it is so flat.

j0n
05-17-2007, 04:49 PM
i believe he is..you can clearly see the shadow of the tire, the turn coupled with the lil dip right there= tre wheelios:)

wrong, try again buddy...if you look at both pictures that dark blotch is merely a mark on the pavement. look at the shadow contacting the left front tire, no breaks in-between shadow and tire = tire's still on the ground

crainholio
05-17-2007, 06:58 PM

Yup, glad to be back and can't believe I remembered my userid & password after all this time.

The car woke from it's long storage with only minor drama. The battery was dead, brakes needed bled, chipmunk nest needed removed from the radiator shroud, that's it. I changed the oil and hit the zerks, it runs like a top.

I'm putting street miles on it when time & weather permit.

RE: Pocono East. It's the least fun of the three road courses for big V8 RWD cars in my opinion. Very tight and twisty, not much straightaway or sweeper turns. It's probably the most error-tolerant of the three courses, in that there's no cornering on the speedway unlike the South and North courses.

crainholio
05-17-2007, 07:02 PM
my car broke a valve spring in the middle of the first session, and my power steering hose burned against the header and spit fluid all over the motor. i thought it was on fire. sucky day for me :(

Ouch! At least it sounds like the valve didn't drop. I've boiled my PS fluid and had it spooge all over the drv side exhaust manifold, very smokey/stinky and tough to clean up.

Hope we're at the track some time this season after you're back up.

2MCHPWR
05-22-2007, 12:39 PM

haha whenever you see a car that close behind another car going in to the turn, you know the car in the back is faster.
On this particular session, I didn't pass him because I was merely cruising. He was slower than I and he was horrible driver. He kept getting his wheels half off the course and kicking up rocks. After a few laps of that BS, I just kept back from him to avoid a broken windshield.

how was the east course anyway? i have been told that there are a few spots that it is hard to pick up landmarks because it is so flat.
Its my favorite infield course at Pocono. Its the most techical course there. North course is way too easy and I won't run it anymore. South course is fun though.

RE: Pocono East. It's the least fun of the three road courses for big V8 RWD cars in my opinion. Very tight and twisty, not much straightaway or sweeper turns. It's probably the most error-tolerant of the three courses, in that there's no cornering on the speedway unlike the South and North courses.
Diff strokes for diff folks. Its the hardest of the 3 to get the line correct and I don't think that is an opinion.Twice as many turns as the other two:

http://www.pdadrivingschool.com/images/stories/Tracks/poconomap.gif

I even loved it with my big v8 firebird. Fun course.