PDA

View Full Version : column lockout on my 98 vette

Icemansghost
03-02-2007, 07:47 PM
Hi I'm having a problem, when I put my key into my 98 corvette the screen in front of me says please remove key for 10 seconds, so I do that?? well after the ten seconds it says service column lockout?? and when I put it into gear the car shuts down?? I don't know what to do other than resetting the dic codes and unplugging the battery

NJSPEEDER
03-02-2007, 11:59 PM
your car htes you gary. sell it and buy another SS. lol

it is prolly just the built in security system. once the key or lock in the column wear a bit the computer can easily freak out about it. try to experiment with how far you push the key in and maybe it will let you drive the car again.

Jersey_TA
03-03-2007, 09:04 AM
take it to a dealer. there was a recall on it i think. After like 2002 they built them to not have that problem. if you check corvetteforum.com they can tell ya all about it.

Frosty
03-04-2007, 10:46 AM
take it to a dealer. there was a recall on it i think. After like 2002 they built them to not have that problem. if you check corvetteforum.com they can tell ya all about it.

What he said.

Icemansghost
03-20-2007, 10:38 AM
I first tried to figure it out..No Good! So it went to the dealer, Reedman toll. Oh They first said it was the bcm, then they said no. it was a couple of relays. Now they say its both because the relays shorted my bcm.SO now its 900 bucks,and now there looking into my transmission for a shake going into overdrive..I do have a warranty on that so atleast thats covered.

foff667
03-20-2007, 02:34 PM
Sounds like your receiving it up the rear IMO http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1584556&highlight=column+lock

armymp1983
03-22-2007, 04:45 PM
I first tried to figure it out..No Good! So it went to the dealer, Reedman toll. Oh They first said it was the bcm, then they said no. it was a couple of relays. Now they say its both because the relays shorted my bcm.SO now its 900 bucks,and now there looking into my transmission for a shake going into overdrive..I do have a warranty on that so atleast thats covered.

********!!!! i have a 99 c5 and i had this happen to me in Germany. I had it flatbedded to an Opel dealer and they fixed it free of charge. My car isn't under warranty anymore, it was a recall by GM. Basically the install a harness somewhere near the drivers side of your center console. Check out corvetteforum.com If anything they shorted you relays/bcm. How far are you from 08030? If they give you crap, i can read the codes off you display in your car and tell you if it's your BCM. I hate when stealerships try to rip people off.

chummmma
03-22-2007, 08:51 PM
Yeah if its an automatic the column lock harness should completely eliminate the problem the manuals not really gotta buy the kit. IF the dealership is telling you its not a column lock problem and is making you replace computers take it to another dealer.

armymp1983
03-22-2007, 09:52 PM
as far as your transmission, my car did the same thing under column lock. I put it into gear and it cut right off. It's definately the column lock issue. I f you have any more problems PM me your number and i'll help you out the best i can, and call the people who serviced my car.

Icemansghost
04-01-2007, 09:58 PM
well Im 1300 in the hole. They said it was the bcm at first, then a relay. I get it back. NOT FIXED..... I take it back then they say its a ignition switch and the tumbler. I get it back after they said it was fixed, no more than half hour into driving it,and still says service column lock!!!!!!!!! Im so pissed and it goes back to them tomarrow.

Icemansghost
04-01-2007, 10:00 PM
And I can read codes without a code checker too, the dic display tells you...

armymp1983
04-01-2007, 10:04 PM
I would refuse to pay them anymore money. Have them fix it free of charge or take it to another dealer. I would try to get ahold of someone higher up in GM. Make a complaint against the dealer.:|

Jersey_TA
04-01-2007, 10:41 PM
I would refuse to pay them anymore money. Have them fix it free of charge or take it to another dealer. I would try to get ahold of someone higher up in GM. Make a complaint against the dealer.:|

^what he said. if they don't fixe it the first time, or the second time....contact corporate GM and complain. Trust me lol, that works bigtime.

Icemansghost
11-17-2007, 12:31 PM
let me start off by saying this issue has been to reedmans 5 times now!!!! It started in may,and the column lock iddiot light has been on since then!!!!!!!!!!!

Reedmans has not fixed it yet Im still stranded. Reedmans wouldnt even call back today. My sales person said there is no managers in on saturday. I called gm yesterday as to this is a HUGE issue in 97-04 corvettes. Ive paid 2 grand into repairs, and it wont even go more than 2 miles an hour untill the fuel cuttoff
happens. Gm is contacting reemans on monday to see what they can do. There is some sort of compensation out there for this ongoing issue! you should all see the write-ups on this. its frieghtning! gm Has issed 6 service bulletins,and another recall last year! 3 recalls in total for the column lock issue.

So in other words, when this started in may this problem here where it say to pull the key and wait 10 seconds, then when poped into gear,and hit the gas. I stall!!!!!!!!!!!! Gm Needs a class action lawsuit, or needs to fix it once and for all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Subject: GMP06-029 - 05081 Special Policy Adjustment - Electronic Column Lock System

MODELS:

1997-2004 CHEVROLET CORVETTE EQUIPPED WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION
1997-2000 CHEVROLET CORVETTE EQUIPPED WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
2001-2004 CHEVROLET CORVETTE EQUIPPED WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION – EUROPEAN EXPORT
VEHICLES ONLY

DESCRIPTION:
PRODUCT SAFETY #04006C
DATED: FEBRUARY 8, 2006
IMPORTANT:

THIS BULLETIN CANCELS AND REPLACES BULLETIN 04006B, ISSUED NOVEMBER 2004. THE SERVICE PROCEDURE FOR U.S. VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION HAS BEEN REVISED. PLEASE REVIEW THIS NEW INFORMATION IMMEDIATELY.

ALL COPIES OF BULLETIN 04006B SHOULD BE DESTROYED.

General Motors has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 1997-2004 model year Chevrolet Corvette vehicles. When you remove the ignition key, the electronic column lock (ECL) system prevents turning of the steering wheel. When the vehicle is started, it unlocks the steering. Two conditions can prevent steering while the vehicle is moving:

1. The vehicle is designed so that if the column fails to unlock when the vehicle is started, the fuel supply will be shut off if the driver tries to move the vehicle. If voltage at the powertrain control module is low or interrupted, however, the fuel shut off may not occur and the vehicle can be accelerated while the steering is locked.
2. During quick cranks, the ECL lock pin may not withdraw fully and, in vehicles where there is abnormally low clearance to the lock plate, there may be contact between the pin and lock plate. This can cause a noise or ratcheting when the steering wheel is turned or, if there is insufficient clearance, the steering wheel cannot be turned.

If one of these conditions occurs, a crash could occur without warning.

CORRECTION:
Dealers are to remove the column lock plate on U.S. and Canadian vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission and U.S. vehicles equipped with a manual transmission. After the service correction, the steering column will no longer lock when the key is removed.

On Canadian and export vehicles equipped with a manual transmission, and export vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission, Dealers are to 1) reprogram the PCM, and 2) verify there is adequate lock plate clearance and, if necessary, replace the lock plate. After the service correction, the steering column will continue to lock when the key is removed.

Refer to the Product Safety Bulletin #04006C for further information.

EFFECTIVE DATE:
Owner mailing is scheduled to begin February 15, 2006.

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Parts required to complete this recall are to be obtained from General Motors Service Parts Operations (GMSPO). Please refer to your "involved vehicles listing" before ordering parts. Normal orders should be placed on a DRO – Daily Replenishment Order. In an emergency situation, parts should be ordered on a CSO – Customer Special Order.

The Parts list follows:

Part Number Description Quantity/Vehicle
89023816 Harness Kit, Strg Whl Theft Dtrnt Lk Shorting (US manuals and all automatics except export vehicles) 1
88952428 Wire Kit, Strg Whl Theft Dtrnt Lk (1998-2000 Canadian and export manuals & export automatics) 1 (If Req'd)
26056108 Nut, Strg Whl 1 (If Req'd)
26094767 Plate, Strg Shf Lk (Canadian manuals) 1 (If Req'd)
88964588 Plate, Strg Shf Lk (Export vehicles) 1 (If Req'd)
05694191 Ring, Strg Shf Lk Plt Ret 1 (If Req'd)

Here is the full special policy adjustment Letter directly from GM as I work for GM haha Hope this helps yall.....

A

Document ID# 1761088
2001 Chevrolet Corvette

Subject: Special Policy Adjustment - Electronic Column Lock System #05081 - (02/08/2006)
Models: 1997-2004 CHEVROLET CORVETTE EQUIPPED WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION (MM6/M12)
1997-2000 CHEVROLET CORVETTE EQUIPPED WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION - EXPORT VEHICLES ONLY
2001-2004 CHEVROLET CORVETTE EQUIPPED WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION - EUROPEAN EXPORT VEHICLES ONLY

BEFORE PERFORMING THIS REPAIR, VERIFY THAT RECALL 04006 HAS BEEN PERFORMED ON THE VEHICLE (LABOR CODES V1144, V1145, V1153). IF THE REPAIR WAS NOT PERFORMED, PERFORM THE REPAIR IN RECALL BULLETIN 04006C, AND SUBMIT THE CLAIM USING THE APPROPRIATE RECALL LABOR CODE.

Condition

Some customers of 1997-2004 Chevrolet Corvettes equipped with a manual transmission (MM6/M12); 1997-2000 Chevrolet Export Corvettes equipped with an automatic transmission; and 2001-2004 Chevrolet European Export Corvettes equipped with an automatic transmission may have a condition where the column lock may fail to unlock the steering column when the vehicle is started.

Special Policy Adjustment

This special policy covers the condition described above until February 29, 2008, regardless of ownership. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after February 8, 2006, are covered by this special policy and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to February 8, 2006, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

Vehicles Involved

Involved are certain 1997-2004 Chevrolet Corvettes equipped with a manual transmission (MM6/M12) and 1997-2004 Chevrolet export Corvettes equipped with an automatic transmission built within the following VIN breakpoints:

Year

Division

Model

From

Through

Chevrolet

Corvette

V5100002

V5109705

Chevrolet

Corvette

W5100026

W5130977

Chevrolet

Corvette

X5100004

X5133278

Chevrolet

Corvette

Y5100002

Y5133592

Chevrolet

Corvette

Chevrolet

Corvette

Chevrolet

Corvette

Chevrolet

Corvette

Parts Information

For U.S.: Parts required to complete this special policy are to be obtained from General Motors Service Parts Operations (GMSPO).

Part Number

Description

Qty/ Vehicle

Harness Kit, Strg Whl Theft Dtrnt Lk Shorting (US Vehicles Only)

For Canada & IPC: Parts required to complete this special policy will be determined as you go through the diagnostic table. When it is determined which part(s) will be required, they are to be obtained from General Motors Service Parts Operation (GMSPO).

Customer Notification

General Motors will notify customers of this special policy on their vehicles (see copy of typical customer letter included with this bulletin - actual divisional letter may vary slightly).

Service Procedure

For U.S. Vehicles Only:

The following service procedure provides instructions for disconnecting the electric column lock (ECL) on U.S. vehicles.

Important: DO NOT use this procedure on Canadian or export vehicles.

• J 1859-A Steering Wheel Puller
• J 42120 Steering Wheel Puller Legs
• J 23653 SIR, Steering Column Lock Plate Compressor
• J 42137 Cam Orientation Plate Adaptor
Important: Disregard all instruction sheets that may be in the harness kit, and follow the instructions provided in this service procedure.

Turn the steering wheel so that the vehicle's front wheels are pointing straight ahead.
Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
Open the hood and disconnect the negative battery cable.

:moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::m oon::moon:

I believe GM does have a REAL fix for this issue....the only problem is it would cost them considerably more the do the real fix instead of the way they've been told to do it through all of those recall bulletins that the service departments keep referring to. My GM service manager finally got so pissed at GM for the "run around" he's been getting for years and the many, many corvette customers who had to keep coming back time and time again for the CLB problem.

The service manager decides to call GM Engineering division in Detroit and finds out that they actually solved the problem after 2003 with a redesigned Column Lock mechanism. They told him that they haven't had any problems with it on 04's, etc. He asked why they didn't share this information with the dealerships and they said the mechanism costs of $250 compared to $45 for the K Harness. He was as pissed as I was. Apparently GM wasn't real anxious to share this with us or the dealer's service people.

The part # for the new mechanism is 88965331 (Lock 2.195)

They installed it back in June 07 and I've had no problems since then.

Can anyone else verify what I've said here?????

This is all from corvette forum. com

I should of bought the 2002 ss like I was going to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But no I wanted a freaking corvette............

The Fixer
11-17-2007, 01:47 PM
Condition

Some customers of 1997-2004 Chevrolet Corvettes equipped with a manual transmission (MM6/M12); 1997-2000 Chevrolet Export Corvettes equipped with an automatic transmission; and 2001-2004 Chevrolet European Export Corvettes equipped with an automatic transmission may have a condition where the column lock may fail to unlock the steering column when the vehicle is started.

Technically, your car does not qualify under the conditions they stated in the recall, since it is a domestic A4. They were only doing the repairs on export A4 cars. Dunno why GM would do that, but they do crazy stuff all the time. At least the repair they did is working for you now, cause that must have sucked to be stuck without a car!

Ian
11-17-2007, 05:13 PM
well Im 1300 in the hole. They said it was the bcm at first, then a relay. I get it back. NOT FIXED..... I take it back then they say its a ignition switch and the tumbler. I get it back after they said it was fixed, no more than half hour into driving it,and still says service column lock!!!!!!!!! Im so pissed and it goes back to them tomarrow.

if there is anyway you can stop your payment, DO IT! nothing gets the dealerships attention like not getting paid. refuse to pay until the car is fixed.

Icemansghost
11-17-2007, 10:20 PM
They would say its fixed.. The head manager got involved this time around and told me he road tested it, and everything is great. ENJOY!!!!!!!

That was his words. 5 minutes into driving it freaking comes on.. I wanna strangle them!

what does it matter if its domestic or euro... Id like to know!!!!!!!!!

Blackbirdws6
11-17-2007, 10:34 PM
My dad's 2000 M6 vette had the same issue with the column lock. Left us stranded in a mall parking lot. Had to flatbed it to the dealer. If Reedman is not treating you right, give Paterson Chevrolet a call and have them take care of it. They have a great Corvette tech over there that did all the warranty work and maintenance work to my dad's vette.

They are located in Hamilton, NJ 1170 Route 33, Hamilton square - (609) 587-1599

Good luck getting it all taken care of.

-Brian

Tru2Chevy
11-18-2007, 05:35 PM
what does it matter if its domestic or euro... Id like to know!!!!!!!!!

Export cars are often built with different parts to meet other countries laws and such....

- Justin

Icemansghost
11-18-2007, 10:01 PM
so you telling me the fuel cutoff and my steering wheel lock plate are different for both domestic and euro....:shock:
Im no expert, but I worked aircraft electrical systems to know why change safety features because another country wants it.... safety features have nothing to do why my car is a euro or a domestic.

the only dealing a euro car has is a different speedo, and a different rear end fascia... I know I looked it up....

This ongoing column lock has the potential to kill someone! Im not hear to argue.
But if anyone owns a 1997-2000 corvette it is a problem for us all! :!:

Im just tired of paying so much to have a nice car sit pretty in the driveway!

Tru2Chevy
11-18-2007, 10:03 PM
Im just tired of paying so much to have a nice car sit pretty in the driveway!

Then sell that POS and get an F-Body :mrgreen:

- Justin

Icemansghost
11-18-2007, 10:05 PM
The whole reason I bought a vette was to enjoy it.....
I almost own it, why trade it in.

Icemansghost
12-19-2007, 02:47 PM
well gm is telling me to see my dealership and show them the service policy and bulletins as to that they know nothing about? and reedman toll is telling me to bring in my paperwork,and these safety bullentins and they will go through them with me?

88BluBird
12-19-2007, 03:57 PM
Reedman-Toll.. good sales new and used.. their service dept SUX big canadian moose ****

Icemansghost
12-19-2007, 04:01 PM
please tell service manager darren albirto and dave rheil to kiss my :moon:......Ill never take my car there again...The only reason it went there is because of how hard it is to pull a corvette steering wheel.