PDA

View Full Version : Always check your grounds...Thanks 198ESP

1QWIKBIRD
03-04-2007, 06:13 PM
Hopefully someone else can benefit from my stupidity....or bad luck or whatever....

Last fall my car developed problem with the speedo. All of the sudden it would bounce then stop working altogether then the motor would start to misfire. After replacing the VSS ($65 out the window), and lots of head scratching and bouts of frustration I let the car sit all winter. Well after saturday's nice weather and the auto-x season fast approaching (and the related threads here) I decided to get motivated and attempt to fix the problem. Well I popped off the two main harness at the pcm to check the for crud/moisture?? Found some moisture, but not near the pin connections. Buttoned it back up, charged the battery and got it started (barely). After running for 5 minutes, it just died. So I jump in and try to restart it, but notice the gas gauge on "E". So go get some fuel, dump it in and after some cranking (which shouldn't be necessary with an electric pump) it starts up and seems to be fine. Great, I jump in back down the driveway and head out for a quick blast thinking the moisture I found near the pcm may have been the culprit. Well I was wrong. I died on the side of the road in traffic and had to tow the POS back to my house with my truck.:-x Battery is completely cooked at this point. So i think maybe the battery (a lightweight odessy) is just so drained, the car won't stay running. Even with a booster box, the car wouldn't start. So by now I am pissed. I swap in a yellow top optima from another car and it starts, but has a miss. Now I am really super pissed. I decide call it a day. Then I think maybe a clogged fuel filter?? So off to Autozone I snag a fuel filter and a new red top optima for my car. At this point I am really considering selling it I am so pissed.:evil: Then today 198ESP and vegaken stop over and after me bitching for an hour like a school girl, we go out and after about 5 minutes we (I mean 198esp) discovers the grounds on the back of the driveside cyl. head are loose (probably from when I pulled the motor last winter). We tighten them up and bingo...all is well. Couple of quick blasts later, we are back in the game.:nod:

ALWAYS CHECK YOUR GROUNDS

Chris

198esp1
03-04-2007, 07:12 PM
Any time Im just glad it runs, now order some tires,springs and front arms so I can ftd :nod: Next up the green monument parked in the garage.

1QWIKBIRD
03-04-2007, 10:14 PM
Any time Im just glad it runs, now order some tires,springs and front arms so I can ftd :nod: Next up the green monument parked in the garage.

ftd does that mean fastest time of the day???? those are some pretty strong words.....careful careful.....last i checked you were in a different time zone.....:rofl:

vegaken
03-05-2007, 02:00 PM
He called it a green monument! That is wrong. Monuments don't move, I have seen you push it out of the garage so I can work on my bucket of bolts in there. Glad to see the Firebird back in the game so you can concentrate on the green monument!:nod: