PDA

View Full Version : Tech / Knowledge Center

Untamed
03-06-2007, 11:03 AM
After reading the thread about the home made seat rails, it reminded me of a conversation a while back about setting aside space to start collecting such knowledge.

Where in the "To Do" list is the section where we can start collecting all this stuff so that newbies like me can read through them? TGO has their list of things, broken up by functional area of the car. Good format, easy to peruse.

Any chance we can implement this then go through some history and start pulling out the gems?

WildBillyT
03-06-2007, 11:05 AM
After reading the thread about the home made seat rails, it reminded me of a conversation a while back about setting aside space to start collecting such knowledge.

Where in the "To Do" list is the section where we can start collecting all this stuff so that newbies like me can read through them? TGO has their list of things, broken up by functional area of the car. Good format, easy to peruse.

Any chance we can implement this then go through some history and start pulling out the gems?

I think it's a good idea, but it would have to be cleaned for accuracy.

Untamed
03-06-2007, 11:10 AM
I just read the club newsletter, which mentions the tech section.

I definately agree, much like a wiki, the tech articles should be "policed" in some way so that we aren't throwing up redneck hack jobs that'll get someone killed.

Tru2Chevy
03-06-2007, 01:41 PM
I was actually contemplating setting it up as a wiki.....we'll see though. We've been talking about doing something like this since day 1, so it'll be nice to finally get it up soon.

- Justin

NJSPEEDER
03-06-2007, 03:31 PM
one of the things that has delayed creating the tech center is that we are planning to be rather picky about how the articles are to be written. we don't want it to turn into the slapped together crap that a lot of sites offer.
we want honest, feature quality information. articles that include EVERY STEP, a complete tools required/helpful list(including specific wrench/rachet sizes) at the begining of the article, and most importantly, lots of pictures.
there has also been discussion about how to host the articles on the site as well as having printer/download friendly versions available to make easier reference when it is time to use your new found knowledge.
we are also working on a few things that will accelerate the process of having tech articales available. so stay tuned. :)

bobb1589
03-06-2007, 11:28 PM
sounds like a good idea... i develop websites so if there is anything i can help with i would love to help out :D

NJSPEEDER
03-10-2007, 04:12 PM
thanks man. when we get to the point of laying out our first few articles we will be in touch with some members for feedback. we are putting up pretty strict requirements for the format and content before we will host any technical or how to article. i am sure many of you are with me when i say that 80% or more of the tech information floating around the web is only half complete at best.

WildBillyT
03-10-2007, 07:53 PM
thanks man. when we get to the point of laying out our first few articles we will be in touch with some members for feedback. we are putting up pretty strict requirements for the format and content before we will host any technical or how to article. i am sure many of you are with me when i say that 80% or more of the tech information floating around the web is only half complete at best.

80% is being charitable LOL.

johnjzjz
03-11-2007, 10:10 AM
i am in a week re doing the cam and rockers on busters super comp motor -- we are installing a comp cams belt drive with tensioner and a jessel shaft rocker set up instead on the gold cranes with a stud girdle -- the valve spring pressure is way to high 660 open and the metal T chain harmonics is cracking off the rocker pedestals posts at the rocker has not done any damage yet but we know it will if left unattended -- it may be to over the top for most -- i am also with the belt - making this change - we do not have the wander the chain gives us ( changing the cam timing ) and at the track like for a pinks thing would be available to us -- so a comprehensive cam location change is in order - valve to piston - valve to valve - and how much both ways will be available to us is going to be sought after -- i built the entire combo so we know all of whats in it -- but i would need a volunteer it will BE to much info and time for me to do and photo and write than sort and make it all work as a story article = like a staff writer so to speak -- but again this sort of operation might be over the top and only but a few might ever benefit from it ???????? -- let me know if this is what you are look for in what ever a wiki is hahahahha different generation i guess -- i would be avail to do it and spend what ever extra time so as all could understand ------------ up too u guys ----- jz

NJSPEEDER
03-11-2007, 01:55 PM
once we get started we will be looking for technical information and how to articles for all skill and knowledge levels. one of the goals of this will be to create a sort of "one stop shopping" for everyone from first timer through experienced builder.
it will take a long time to build up, but will be worth it.

1972LT1
03-15-2007, 06:20 PM
Sounds pretty cool....have you considered a page of places the site trusts/endorses. For example....if someone needed machining done where to go, or where to find parts for a "?" It might be easier than having posts in numerous forums.