PDA

View Full Version : Starting problem after Intake removal

BigAls87Z28
03-09-2007, 02:04 AM
Ok, took the intake off to redo the intake gaskets. Put everything back together, hook everything up, double check all my connections, drop in the dizzy...well, it doesnt go in the same way I took it out....
Ok, so I rotate it clockwise a little, and it slides into the spot...
I figure that maybe I was off a little, so I hook it all up, go to start it...nothing.
Alright...somethings not right here...why doesnt it want to fire up?
Ok, so maybe the dizzy is 180* off. Take it out, rotate it, drop it down, slides right in, hook it up, go to start.....again, nothing only this time with a loud bang....dunno what it was, didnt see fire or smoke.
Any ideas? It just tries and tries, but doesnt start.

Tru2Chevy
03-09-2007, 08:38 AM
Are you getting spark?

- Justin

Pampered-Z
03-09-2007, 09:17 AM
Sounds like the distibutor isn't in right. Turn the engine over so #1 is TDC on the comp stroke and set the rotor on the dist so it's pointing at the #1 spark plug. Some times they don't go into the oil pump drive, you might need to reach down into the dist hole with a screw driver and turn the drive a bit.

if the distr. is 180 out your get back firing.

BigAls87Z28
03-10-2007, 05:47 PM
gotcha. Now, should I turn the oil pump twards the #1 or #5 cyl?
I didnt want to do it the long way...

BigAls87Z28
03-10-2007, 11:20 PM
Ok, brough it to top dead, or so I think. I start it, and it stumbles and stumbles, but doesnt start. So I flip the dizzy 180* and it does nothing. So Im going to flip it back, but wtf why does it stumble!?!?!

The Fixer
03-11-2007, 09:41 AM
Probably because the timing is still off. Once you flip the distributor back to where it stumbles and wants to start, try turning the top of the dizzy a bit clockwise/counterclockwise to advance/retard the timing until she fires up. Good luck!

Pampered-Z
03-11-2007, 09:50 AM
As Monte SS said. Setting the rotor is a basic setting, but #1 in the distributor cap need to be facing towards the front of the car. That will get you in the area for the timing to start the car. Then you'll need to use a timing light to get it set properly. Does it run well enough to get a reading on the timing?

If you can;t get it timed then the dist. could be a tooth off. Might need to bump the dist. up one tooth ( more facing the front of the car then at the #1 plug. ). So you will ned to reach in the screw drive and move the oil pump drive a few degrees.

BigAls87Z28
03-11-2007, 11:19 AM
Ok, flipped it back this morning, shifted all the plug wires over one, counterclockwise, started to stumble again, then retarded the timing and it started to run, so I kept turning it till it ran smoothly. I went to go time it, and its WAY WAY advanced, the mark is showing up when the flash hits it, as pointing strait up twards the upper hose. I go to retard it to bring it back to the timing marks, and it starts to stumble, so I advance it back to where it runs the smoothest. Took it out for a drive...mind you, this is 5am this morning...and it ran very well. I dont know if the oil leak has stopped, cause the car was shooting up spray from the rain on the ground. Im gunna have to take it out today to see if it still happens. Im gunna go to Pepboys or Straus today and get a new cap and rotor, and of course some oil, cause this one is trash, so maybe that can help. Still sounds like its missing one, but I think that might be the spark plug wire that is tooo close to the header, so might go pick up myself a plug boot...anyway, so far so good, hopefuly no more oil leaks for worry free, crop dusting free, driving.

Pampered-Z
03-12-2007, 08:18 AM
Is it a vac. advance distributor? You need to pull the hose off and plug it. When you set the timing get the engine to the correct idle RPM.

The Fixer
03-12-2007, 10:16 AM
Woot, good to hear Al!

BigAls87Z28
03-12-2007, 12:32 PM
I did unhook and pluged the line, still off. But it runs, and runs very well. Drove it to work today, no oil leaks. Gunna see if I can get my SS brake hoses installed today at work.