PDA

View Full Version : NJ State Inspection questions

97Formula
03-14-2007, 05:41 PM
1. Will my car fail due to the fog lights not shutting off when the hi-beams are on?
2. Will my car fail due to the brake light on the dash not lighting up when you pull the hand brake (DRL's disabled)?

maroman88
03-14-2007, 06:14 PM
just leave the fogs off when u go, they dont check em anyway
no idea about the ebrake light, just plug the DRL's back in if your that concerned, in my 02 it was one little clip behind the radio duno if its the same for pre 98's

The Fixer
03-14-2007, 06:40 PM
Mike has a good point; if you leave the fogs off, they shouldn't check them. If they are on, they will fail you since they're supposed to turn off when the highs are on. I failed for that once on one of my old cars.

97Formula
03-17-2007, 01:38 PM
I can turn the switch off, but I'm thinking I should disable them completely (temporarily) in case the inspector flips the switch and sees my fog's not shutting off with the high beams.

Oddball
03-18-2007, 05:51 PM
Some thoughts:

1. They don't have time to check the fog lights. I have one fog light out and passed cause they didn't turn them on.

2. If your car came with DRL and you disabled them, and the inspector knows they should be on they might fail you. It is better to return the car to stock when getting inspected. You never know...

3. I don't know about the brake light. Chances are they will test the system to make sure it actually works.

97Formula
03-18-2007, 09:27 PM
Thanks Oddball.

Well, if I fail inspection for no DRL's and/or no brake-light on the dash when the e-brake is pulled, this will be the first time! I never failed for either of these items before (DRL's aren't even required in the US). My concern was with the brake light on the dash, though it does light up for 1-2 seconds when I turn the key.

And if I fail for the brake light or DRL's, no problem. I plan on taking a 7-8mm socket with me so I can remove the radio and plug the DRL module back in, go thru the backdoor, and get my 2 year sticker.

I also have Hypertech installed and was concerned about the OBDII check, but it seems that a lot of people have passed the OBDII check with aftermarket tuning in the PCM. And since Hypertech says I don't need to reprogram back to stock before emissions testing, I SHOULD be good (hopefully).

97Formula
03-25-2007, 06:27 PM
Well, the car passed even though the brake light does not illuminate on the dash with the e-brake, and the DRL's disabled. Maybe they don't care if the brake light shows on the dash when they check the e-brake.

WildBillyT
04-02-2007, 07:53 PM
Well, the car passed even though the brake light does not illuminate on the dash with the e-brake, and the DRL's disabled. Maybe they don't care if the brake light shows on the dash when they check the e-brake.

For what it's worth, if I were an inspector and I noticed that I'd fail you right away. That light does more than just tell you when your ebrake is on, it also tells you if your brake fluid is dangerously low. You may want to consider plugging that back in if it does not work when your brake fluid level is down. That way if you have a fluid leak you will be alerted before you find out that you have lost your hyd. braking system.

97Formula
04-03-2007, 05:33 PM
For what it's worth, if I were an inspector and I noticed that I'd fail you right away. That light does more than just tell you when your ebrake is on, it also tells you if your brake fluid is dangerously low. You may want to consider plugging that back in if it does not work when your brake fluid level is down. That way if you have a fluid leak you will be alerted before you find out that you have lost your hyd. braking system.

The light does come on briefly when starting the car (like all the other warning lights do). But like you said, I'm not sure if it will come on if I'm having a problem with the brakes. Maybe I'll have to do that "jumper" mod.

WildBillyT
04-03-2007, 10:03 PM
The light does come on briefly when starting the car (like all the other warning lights do). But like you said, I'm not sure if it will come on if I'm having a problem with the brakes. Maybe I'll have to do that "jumper" mod.

Yeah, just in case you ever have some type of brake issue that leaks fluid. :nod: