PDA

View Full Version : "Audio Boost"

Rafterman
03-29-2007, 06:28 AM
I have a switch in my 2nd gen that says "Audio Boost" and has high or low, yet the thing does ntohing. what is it suppose to do?

chevylover5
03-29-2007, 01:11 PM
here ya go man, i hope this answers your question... it was found on this website...
http://www.firebirdtransamparts.com/techinfo/harness/optionwire/optionwire.htm#ra

The UQ3 Audio Power Booster
In 1979 Pontiac included a unique sound system on the 10th Anniversary Limited Editions. In 1980, they decided to do the same thing for the Indianapolis Pace Car. In this case they added an audio power booster to the top-of-the-line stereo they had used in the 10th Anniversary. After the pace cars were built, the audio booster was generally available on any Firebird.
The amplifier was mounted in the middle of the dash, where the old single front speaker used to be. The amplifier plugs in line between the stereo and the rest of the car. All 12 4-speaker stereo circuits pass trough the amplifier.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n251/munchiedo5/uq3.jpg
In the photo shown here, the amplifier is still plugged into the car and speakers on the left. The 3 plugs on the right would have plugged into the stereo. The shorter wires on the right would have plugged into the "audio boost" switch on a 1980 car, but went nowhere in 1981.

UQ3 Weird File
On the 1980 Indy Pace Car, Pontiac used a toggle switch to turn the amplifier on and off. They also used a toggle switch to dim the turbo boost lights on the hood. Add the switch for rear defrost, and you had too many switches to fit on the instrument panel. This is true of all Indy Pace Cars. In 1981 the audio boost switch was just deleted (the amp was apparently made to work with or without it), and the turbo boost light switch was relocated. So, in 1981, no matter how many options you had, you couldn't get enough toggle switches to fill up the instrument panel. They should have planned better!

when it comes out your amp is probably blown or just has bad wiring...