PDA

View Full Version : Changing transmission fluid

Kojak
04-22-2007, 01:01 PM
I have to change my tranny fluid on my 2000 Cavalier. I've done everything else but this so I'm kind of new to it. Anyway I have a few questions if anyone can answer for me.

What kind of fluid?
How do I know when its full since it doesn't have a dip stick?
and
Is their anythign special I have to do other than drain it and repalce it like purge it or somethign?

Thanks...

NightRydaSS
04-23-2007, 02:59 PM
How many miles are on the car and when was the last time the fluid was changed? If it has a 'ish load of miles on it and you don't know when the least time it was changed, i would leave it alone. Changing the fluid on a high mileage car that has never had the fluid changed before can cause problems

bobb1589
04-23-2007, 10:09 PM
yeah... true... but no dipstick... thats odd

BigAls87Z28
04-23-2007, 11:49 PM
Hrm...i hate not having a dip stick.
Dont do it with over 100k miles on it.

Mike
04-24-2007, 07:39 AM
if the cars a manual, its not odd that it dosent have a dipstick.......

the manual will tell you what kinda fluid to run, and if its a manual you fill it through the fill plug on the side and stop when it starts to come back out that hole

johnjzjz
04-24-2007, 07:57 AM
i don't get it - been doing this 40 plus years and never seen a car / truck golf car what ever - that had NO issues with the trans - changing the fluid is a bad thing -- IF its not working correctly and changing the fluid ( coincidently ) the unit fails - that happens all the time -- why would anyone tell some one not to do it when it would help and give it more life -- i am at a loss i must have missed something Please fill me in ??????????????? --

#1 why does changing the fluid in a trans ( auto / stick ) with high mileage and NO issues a bad thing ------------- jz

BigAls87Z28
04-24-2007, 09:19 AM
A trans with high milage, 100k or more, the tolerances have increased between the parts greatly. Dirt and metalic particles help this, and actualy help keep the tolerances tight like stock. Once you remove this dirty fluid, and flush it out via full fluid exchange, you now remove all these particles that might have been giving an artificial reading in line pressure, which will then cause the trans to slip and cause possible problems.
Trans Fluid Exchanges should be done as a maintence, not as a problem solver. If you have a slipping trans, you are going to need to see a trans shop. Higher milage trans service will only cause more problems.
Having it done ever 50k will increase the life of your trans, just as an oil change does.
Here is some food for thought. ATF and engine oil are pretty much the same thing, made along the same lines with just different treatments. Your engine oil is changed every 3k cause it breaks down and becomed sheared, and that oil is being tossed around an engine that can reach high temps. Trans fluid can sometimes experiance temps 2x greater then engine, especialy in trucks in towing situations, and is being pushed, squeezed, spun and shot around the trans, and people disreguard it as just to be left alone.

Kojak
04-24-2007, 11:57 AM
It's at 65,000 miles now, it was supposed to be done at the 50,000 mile mark but I never got to it. I want to do it soon because it’s starting to slip sometimes when I go from reverse to drive after a long ride and its 15,000 miles overdue. If it’s too much I guess ill just send it to the stealership, unless anyone wants to buy a 2000 Cavalier LOW MILES, Well Maintained..!

ps: its an auto

johnjzjz
04-24-2007, 05:54 PM
the oil and filter should be a fix the filter gets semi -- colgged with clutch material and causes the oil pressure to drop as it cant suck the oil fast enough for correct line pressure -- its not to late to do the service go to chevy and buy the correct filter and the pan gasket is reusable but ask the parts guy if it is -- just drop the pan and snap the old filter out and clip in the new put dextron 3 if its before 2003 but ask the chevy parts guy to be sure and your good to go 4 quarts maybe to top it off cheap at wallmart -- jz

johnjzjz
04-24-2007, 06:04 PM
A trans with high milage, 100k or more, the tolerances have increased between the parts greatly. Dirt and metalic particles help this, and actualy help keep the tolerances tight like stock. Once you remove this dirty fluid, and flush it out via full fluid exchange, you now remove all these particles that might have been giving an artificial reading in line pressure, which will then cause the trans to slip and cause possible problems.
Trans Fluid Exchanges should be done as a maintence, not as a problem solver. If you have a slipping trans, you are going to need to see a trans shop. Higher milage trans service will only cause more problems.
Having it done ever 50k will increase the life of your trans, just as an oil change does.
Here is some food for thought. ATF and engine oil are pretty much the same thing, made along the same lines with just different treatments. Your engine oil is changed every 3k cause it breaks down and becomed sheared, and that oil is being tossed around an engine that can reach high temps. Trans fluid can sometimes experiance temps 2x greater then engine, especialy in trucks in towing situations, and is being pushed, squeezed, spun and shot around the trans, and people disreguard it as just to be left alone.

WOW - having re done probly thousands of auto transes in shops i worked as a kid late 1950s as well as owned a few trans shops never met anyone who believed that -- i stand corrected -- i guess its all in what you believe -- jz

bobb1589
04-24-2007, 10:06 PM
if the cars a manual, its not odd that it dosent have a dipstick.......

the manual will tell you what kinda fluid to run, and if its a manual you fill it through the fill plug on the side and stop when it starts to come back out that hole

i was under the impression that it was auto

bobb1589
04-24-2007, 10:10 PM
i didn tthink it was possible to NOT have a dipstick in an auto?

BigAls87Z28
04-26-2007, 10:24 PM
i didn tthink it was possible to NOT have a dipstick in an auto?

Its possible...mine doesnt.

BigAls87Z28
04-26-2007, 10:25 PM
WOW - having re done probly thousands of auto transes in shops i worked as a kid late 1950s as well as owned a few trans shops never met anyone who believed that -- i stand corrected -- i guess its all in what you believe -- jz

Well, I dont want to take the chance and do a trans flush on a car with 160k miles on it, and now I have to buy a 3000 trans. I dont want to find out.

bobb1589
04-29-2007, 09:57 PM
but the car only has 65k miles he said didnt he?

Tru2Chevy
04-30-2007, 09:51 AM
but the car only has 65k miles he said didnt he?

Al's comment wasn't specifically towards Kojack's car - it was just a general response to Johnjzjz

- Justin