PDA

View Full Version : SS is down once again

V
04-22-2007, 08:49 PM
About 2 days ago i had the car out on Rt 17 and i started hearing a high pitch squel/screech. I originally had power steering system issues when i first got the car on the road but steering was fine still. All gauges showed fine too. I stopped and popped the hood, couldnt see anything. Then i had it out again yesterday and it would come and go. If i punched it, and left off, after a while the noise would go away. i would then punch it again and back it would come. So yesterday with the engine running, i lightly released some tension on the belt and the noise went away. So at least its only belt related, not engine internals. With all my spare parts, i swapped out the tensioner/idler combo for the engine belt. Fired it up, no change. tonight i went out to swap out the other idler pulley. When i removed the belt, i noticed shiny specs all inside the grooves... metal shavings. I started spinnign the accesories only to find the altenator is the culprit. Apparently it didnt like sitting a year and a half and decided to chew itself up on the inside. I was kinda curious why my voltmeter was only reading right around 13 volts all the time. At least its a simple fix. To bad the other ls1 alt i have is probably no good, it was on a wrecked engine and took a hit... Oh well... the funny thing is i was kinda hesitant about using my original alt because i didnt think it would like sitting for a long time... guess i was right.

Knipps
04-22-2007, 08:52 PM
sorry to hear paul, at least you got the problem figured out already

Teds89IROC
04-22-2007, 10:21 PM
:stupid: The iroc loves 13 volts, either a bad ground or I too need a new alt, that powermaster was expensive :-(