PDA

View Full Version : fans wont kick on in my 92z...

chevylover5
04-26-2007, 12:09 PM
ok so before you ask, its not the usual problem! ok so i was driving around after having my car in stow all winter and i drove it all night and at the end of the night i shut it off to get some water ice. i come back and start it up and the fans dont kick on and i start to over heat. so i spend 35mins fighting with the hood, finally got it open and check the coolant i was fine and put the key on on the fans didnt come on. so i checked the fuse, thats fine, babied it home and the next day i look at the one relay on the rear wall and there is melted tape over it. so i take the tape off and i find a corroded bare wire jumping the two wires going into the relay. so i figure wtf were the people before me thinking. i bought it from a car lot, which ill never ever do again and i fight it thru all of its little "quarps" which i thought i had worked out by now and i find this crap UGH. so i change out the relay figuring it might have blown. nope. i checked the fans with a jumper, they both work. i replaced another relay for it, under the thermostat, nope. i check all the grounds i could find and they are all tight as can be. what else could it be?

OK so if i lost you heres a quick synopsis...
my fans wont kick on
the things i have checked and replaced or just weren't bad are...

-fans
-fuse
-relay on fire wall
-relay under thermostat
-fixed corroded jumper
-checked grounds

SO

What else could my problem be?

and

Why on gods green earth would they put a jumper, jumping the two wires on the relay that is on the fire wall?

V
04-26-2007, 12:36 PM
afaik, fan relays are by the battery, not firewall

chevylover5
04-26-2007, 01:30 PM
uh uh :-?
idk about a fourth gen but in a third gen they are def on the fire wall...

and know one is ever on epfba anymore, no comment- i dont want to get myself in trouble...

tried thirdgen too, it just got lost in cyberspace

so i figured id try here...

V
04-26-2007, 04:17 PM
well i know the dual fan setup relays are by the battery, ive parted out more then enough to know

BonzoHansen
04-26-2007, 04:37 PM
Read here: http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24790&highlight=autozone

If you have ruled out bad fans, bad wires from relay to fan, primary power circuits & relays, then that leaves you triggers & trigger circuits. But I am not sure you have actually done this.

*Your car might be ECM triggered, you'll have to find out. Else a fan switch.
*The trigger circuit wires are bad (relay to switch/ecm).

chevylover5
04-26-2007, 04:53 PM
1. thank you very much for the intell
2. i have ruled out all of those things
3. i have an ecm triggered fan setup from factory

BonzoHansen
04-26-2007, 06:54 PM
Ok, so if you jump the trigger (ecm lead at relay), the fans come on?

Fast92RS
04-26-2007, 09:22 PM
1. thank you very much for the intell
2. i have ruled out all of those things
3. i have an ecm triggered fan setup from factory

Only one fan is triggered by the ecm the other is triggered by a temp switch in the passenger side head. I have the factory manual I could probably make a copy and email it to you.

BonzoHansen
04-26-2007, 11:27 PM
http://autozone.com/images/cds/gif/large/0900823d80163fec.gif

914, but I bet it is the same, it is as you describe.

chevylover5
05-01-2007, 07:48 PM
yea i bought a temp switch that hooks up to the radiator hose and it turns on the second fan when the air conditioner is on. it seems to be working now. and the guage seems to be working also so, w/e i changed it must of worked. thanks guys!
-ken