PDA

View Full Version : POSITIVE posts in the classified section

unstable bob gable
05-12-2007, 11:30 AM
I don't appreciate the fact that admins deleted 2 positive comments I posted about 2 of the cars for sale in the classified section. No where in the rules does it state that POSITIVE comments are not allowed. I know if I was selling something and someone took the time to try and help I would be thankful for it! :-x

NJSPEEDER
05-12-2007, 11:59 AM
This is from the Classified Forum Rules

The only member that is entitled to bump the thread will be the member that posted the ad.

posting commentary on parts/cars/pricing without being interested in purchasing the item in question is in effect bumping the thread up for the seller.
it would appear that there is some rewording or expansion of the explanation of this rule in order so that everyone is clear that constant bumping of threads in the classifieds is not allowed.

Knipps
05-12-2007, 12:00 PM
so in other words, no well wishers...

NJSPEEDER
05-12-2007, 12:57 PM
it isn't a matter of well wishing, it is about he classifieds getting cluttered up with threads being bumped by friends. if someone has items for sale, they can tke care of seeing that the thread stays towards the top by bumping it every other day(as per classified rules).
the rules changes for the classifieds were made after several members noted that the number fo meaningless posts they had to go through to get information or find people inteested intheir items was getting out of hand.

unstable bob gable
05-12-2007, 03:26 PM
If you were going to buy a car, doesn't it make sense to take someone with you to give an unbiased opinion? Well, I think I've been around cars long enough to be able to give an opinion on them, especially if I personally know the car. It's not a matter of "bumping" or "clutter." I don't like having my time wasted when I go through the effort of giving my opinion, then have you over bearing mods zap it.

NJSPEEDER
05-12-2007, 09:11 PM
the classifieds are there for buying and selling, not getting a survey of opinions about the cars or parts for sale. if the seller and the items for sale are quality, the iTrader feedback left will reflect it.
if you are not buyer or seller, you are just adding to the number fo posts a potential buyer has to sift through to find useful information or a seller has to hunt past to look for someone with actual interest in the item for sale.
this is why the rule was requested, this is why it was put in, this is why it is enforced. if you would like to see the rule change all you have to do is provide sol;id reasoning with supporting examples of why it should be the way you want it.
jsut saying you have been around cars and know what ones you think are nice doesn't exactly qualify as the basis for the rest of the world to agree to follow your actions or your opinions.

unstable bob gable
05-13-2007, 01:32 AM
the classifieds are there for buying and selling, not getting a survey of opinions about the cars or parts for sale. if the seller and the items for sale are quality, the iTrader feedback left will reflect it.
if you are not buyer or seller, you are just adding to the number fo posts a potential buyer has to sift through to find useful information or a seller has to hunt past to look for someone with actual interest in the item for sale.
this is why the rule was requested, this is why it was put in, this is why it is enforced. if you would like to see the rule change all you have to do is provide sol;id reasoning with supporting examples of why it should be the way you want it.
jsut saying you have been around cars and know what ones you think are nice doesn't exactly qualify as the basis for the rest of the world to agree to follow your actions or your opinions.

Whatever. Sorry I tried to do something positive. Just continue being a Nazi fembot and keep repeating your rules. It doesn't matter if anyone opposes you, 'cause it is your ball. Have fun playing with yerself, er I mean it.

NJSPEEDER
05-13-2007, 08:45 AM
as i said before, the rules were created at the request of users. if you wold like to see a change to the rules, state your position and provide support. jsut saying you like certain cars is hardly the basis for the rules to change.

GP99GT
05-13-2007, 06:27 PM
if someone is attesting that they have seen the car in person and are saying its a nice car/well kept/whatever, then they should be able to post that...i dont see why one person shouldnt be able to help another sell their car/items/whathaveyou

NJSPEEDER
05-13-2007, 06:37 PM
hwo does it help? would you buy a car because someone you never met before said it was nice?
the only result i see on any forums that allow commentary is that sellers who don't have friends bumping their threads up with comments get pushed down/off the page without getting noticed.
it isn't fair to the members who's cars you haven't seen. it is also a waste of time for everyone to have to sift through post after post of "if i only had the money" and " i saw that car and it was nice". neither comment has anything to do with actuaklly buying the car, so all they are doing is wasting other people's time.

johnjzjz
05-13-2007, 07:24 PM
Ruels of any site are just that not up to who ever thinks its not ok --cause

SamhainZ28
05-13-2007, 07:31 PM
IMHO i don't think there are enough posts by day to push someones classified ad off the first page anyway, so i don't see how compliments that will help someone sell something should be removed, i mean there are only like what 2 or 3 post on the classifieds board a day, if that?

NJSPEEDER
05-13-2007, 08:00 PM
the rules were made at the request of members. not something i or anyone else pulled out of thin air. if you look around you will find that bumps and friend bumps are not allowed on a lot of sites, that fact along with the imput of the members who contacted us about this issue are the reason the rule was made.
if you would like to see the rules changed, come up with a reasonable statement of position and support for it. jsut saying you want to be able to tell people their car is pretty and claiming that it somehow helps with the sale isn't enough to call for a reversal of the rules.
there is also no sense in crying that we are being unfair by enforcing the rules since everyone has agreed to follow them in order to use the classifieds in the first place.

unstable bob gable
05-13-2007, 10:03 PM
the rules were made at the request of members. not something i or anyone else pulled out of thin air. if you look around you will find that bumps and friend bumps are not allowed on a lot of sites, that fact along with the imput of the members who contacted us about this issue are the reason the rule was made.
if you would like to see the rules changed, come up with a reasonable statement of position and support for it. jsut saying you want to be able to tell people their car is pretty and claiming that it somehow helps with the sale isn't enough to call for a reversal of the rules.
there is also no sense in crying that we are being unfair by enforcing the rules since everyone has agreed to follow them in order to use the classifieds in the first place.

Yer a one hit wonder. THE PEOPLE are saying there is nothing wrong with being able to leave compliments. But yer stuck on YOUR rules, and not giving the people what they want. What r u trying to be, an American Castro? :-x

GrandmasterCow
05-13-2007, 11:42 PM
IMHO, i think that by people complimenting a car for sale would look good for the seller. if i was to be searching for a car on a forum and compared one that had alot of people saying good things about it compared to one that only the seller keeps "bumping" the thread up by himself, then i would be more interested in the one that has the more positive responses from the other members. i see both sides of this argument though and i think it should be a seller's opinion. if the site had huge amounds of classifieds like ls1tech, then bumping would definately be needed by the seller as most people would definately see it all the time. but on a smaller site compared to that, i think it would be fair to leave it to the seller and by having compliments, in my iopinion, make the item look much better and has been recommended by other members. then i see who my money goes to :)

GP99GT
05-14-2007, 06:31 AM
hwo does it help?

i'd certainly have a bit more confidence if someone that has been on the site a long time said something good about the car being sold. you know, saying something like..."i can personally say this is one of the cleanest cars ive seen" would tell me that the seller most likely isnt BSing about the condition of his/her vehicle. now, posting something like this: "omg that car is beautifulzor!!!!11111one" just because they saw the pictures and never have seen the car in person, is a waste of my time.

BonzoHansen
05-14-2007, 10:43 AM
A reminder to please keep posts on topic. Off topic posts are disrespectful to the initial poster who is trying to voice a concern.

BonzoHansen
05-14-2007, 11:58 AM
I got to tell you from a user point of view I am not really against the friendly bump thing. Hell, I’ve wanted to add “great car” a number of times. We don’t police that too much at NastyZ28 and to my knowledge we don’t hear too much about it. Rare is the moderated for sale thread there.

The catch is policing what is allowed, as now we are talking about judgment calls on specific content, and with this club it would be fairly difficult. We will get accused of playing favorites and/or 'having it out' for someone. We get that now even though from what I have seen the moderating there has been as consistent as possible. If we relax the current rules, we will get complaints from Member A about why we deleted his off topic post but let Member B’s ‘nice car’ post stand in the same thread. Hell, I know people who have posted in this very thread have complained about off topic and low-ball posts in their for sale posts – so for me there is also some level of hypocrisy here. So from a moderating viewpoint, our current ‘all or nothing’ stance is easier to moderate on an unbiased basis.

On a lesser point, the ‘friendly bump’ could conceivably aid scamming (similar to shill bidding at eBay) or members may incorrectly feel “Hey, that guy trusts him, it must be good.” But I’m relatively sure that is not an issue for us. I guess this points are more theoretical in nature.

While we are talking about the classified, I’d like to be able to go back to making posts that just pass on info of interest, like if I see something in the local newspaper classified section. Currently, that is a violation of the rules regarding posting items you do not own. But I think that rule was put in place to prevent people from selling parts they might buy, opposed to simply passing on info. I’d like that clarified, but I could see why Justin would not want to change that.

Just some lunchtime thoughts.

GP99GT
05-14-2007, 02:11 PM
well theres a difference between just saying "nice car" and saying that youve personally seen the car and you KNOW its a nice car...this is a pretty tight knit forum, most of the regulars all know each other. common sense needs to be used when purchasing anything, look around at previous posts, post count, etc. to determine what kind of person the seller is before even considering buying from them. rules here are becoming like laws in America, theyre there to protect stupid people with no common sense

NJSPEEDER
05-14-2007, 02:13 PM
the biggest problem i see happenign if we get back to allowing friend bumping is that someone is going to want to go back to posting up complaints or negative commentary about items.
the problem being that to be fair if you allow one, you have to allow the other.
i also do not see how it helps anyone buy a car since it would take a real fol to buy a car just because someone that the seller had met before thinks it is nice.

NJSPEEDER
05-14-2007, 02:18 PM
But yer stuck on YOUR rules, and not giving the people what they want.

i am really starting to wonder if you have trouble with reading comprehension bob. as i stated before, the rules about bumping were instated after suggestions and comments from members. not something i or anyone other mod/admin puled out of thin air.
the people who made suggestions stated their position clearly and provided supporting examples of other sites and other ways teh classifieds are handled.
so far all you have provided is that you want to be able to say something jsut cause you want to say it. that isn't very constructive and certainly doesn't carry the weight of those who provided a clear statement of their position and examples of how it has worked on other sites.
blame me all you want, but ranting about want want want isn't the same thing as providng a convincing argument for changes to the rules as they stand.

GP99GT
05-14-2007, 03:36 PM
Lets say i was interested in Chicken Little's T/A he's selling. I've personally never seen the car. If someone like, say, Jon (bad64chevelle) has seen it, and he posted that the car is in good condition, etc, i'd be more inclined to buy it, because i know Jon and i'd trust his opinion. now, if i didnt know Jon, i wouldnt take his opinion into consideration, because i have a brain in my head, unlike many other people in the world today.

unstable bob gable
05-14-2007, 11:18 PM
i am really starting to wonder if you have trouble with reading comprehension bob. as i stated before, the rules about bumping were instated after suggestions and comments from members. not something i or anyone other mod/admin puled out of thin air.
the people who made suggestions stated their position clearly and provided supporting examples of other sites and other ways teh classifieds are handled.
so far all you have provided is that you want to be able to say something jsut cause you want to say it. that isn't very constructive and certainly doesn't carry the weight of those who provided a clear statement of their position and examples of how it has worked on other sites.
blame me all you want, but ranting about want want want isn't the same thing as providng a convincing argument for changes to the rules as they stand.

I can read very well, thank you, and at least I'm not so retarted that I spell "the" as "teh" like you. YOU are the one who stated several times that the rules are created at the request of the people. Well, who is making the posts here in favor of positive comments, friggin' robots? Even your clone Bonzo stated it isn't a bad idea. You should run for office, since you are so good at talking outa both sides of your mouth AND yer azz!

NJSPEEDER
05-15-2007, 01:37 PM
so i type 'teh' but you can spell retarded. lol

i am stil waiting for you to provide support for your position, as in examples of how it works on other sites or some supporting evidence of how many cars your commentary has sold.
all you seem ready to offer is your opinion, which would be great if you would provide any substance to put behind it instead of just having an opinion.

Mike
05-15-2007, 06:01 PM
he has had support of his opinon....

your argument is that the people asked for the rules....

his is that the people should be able to change them back..

the other posters in this thread supporting him show that the people want it back. so will they get it, or will you stick to the rule that you claim is for the people

NJSPEEDER
05-15-2007, 09:10 PM
no, what i said was that the people who previously asked for an end to theopen commentary in the classifieds forum provided support for their position. they offered more than just an opinion, they offered information to show how it worked.
we received enough complaints about people putting up useless, off topic, and non-interest posts that it was clear that the rule change was needed.
the current opposition is based solely on the opinions of a few, certainly not near the number of people who asked for the rules to be changed previously or complained about the lack of such rules.
it is a common practice to leave classified threads to the interested parties only, not allowing free for all posting prevents threads from getting pushed out of sight and lost because the seller doesn't have as many or the right friends in the forum to hand them free bumps all day long.

SamhainZ28
05-15-2007, 09:23 PM
i re-iterare, there aren't enoguh posts made by people selling something on here that it would get pushed of by a few comments regarding the item for sale. This site isn't as big as LS1tech, so there is pretty much no need to delete posts and such due to "someone's ad being pushed off the page"

GP99GT
05-16-2007, 06:33 AM
i re-iterare, there aren't enoguh posts made by people selling something on here that it would get pushed of by a few comments regarding the item for sale. This site isn't as big as LS1tech, so there is pretty much no need to delete posts and such due to "someone's ad being pushed off the page"

exactly. looking at the classifieds right now, the oldest post on the first page is from 6 days ago...the section really isnt busy enough for peoples ads getting 'pushed off the page'

unstable bob gable
05-16-2007, 12:06 PM
he has had support of his opinon....

your argument is that the people asked for the rules....

his is that the people should be able to change them back..

the other posters in this thread supporting him show that the people want it back. so will they get it, or will you stick to the rule that you claim is for the people

DING! DING! DING! This is just one of the supportive posts in this thread. The people want the rule changed. What else needs to be said? :idea: :idea: :idea:

NJSPEEDER
05-16-2007, 01:40 PM
and i said before that there are still not as many people asking for this change as commented/complained/asked for the change before. it is also common practice to not allow BS posting in the classifieds.

the rules were changed because there was a constant stream of general off topic conversation and commentary that sellers didn't want in their threads.

the rules are not jsut for how things are this week, it is for the long term good of how the forums run. wanting to be able to pick and choose what commentary you want in the classifieds now will jsut force us all to go through thsi same headache again later.

at this point you have proven that all that is behind this is a few opinions and the one example that bonzo provided. sorry to break it to you guys, but that isn't even half the information or people sharing this opinion that asked for the rules to be the way they are now.

whenever you can come up with some actual proof that your commentary sells cars in our classifieds or show examples of how you being special enough to make off topic and useless posts is helpful, get back to me. until then, this issue is closed.