PDA

View Full Version : How about a Tech write up section?

V
05-23-2007, 09:39 AM
I was just thinking today, maybe we can have a special section or link to a place where we can have a bunch of Tech writeups for different projects/mods.

Here are some requiremnets i think should be used when accepting a write-up...
In order to get a write up accepted, it must need to be accompanied by an adequate number of pictures. All pictures MUST be in focus and of good quality or better. You could also require that a list of tools needed/use is included, along with time it took to complete the job. And most important of all, the write up MUST be in depth and explain just about everything needed to do. Punctuation and spelling would also be important.

I am about to go swap out a tierod on my 4th gen, and i'll be taking many pictures. Its not a common job but if you ever have to do it, theres not much info for the beginner. Heck, even installing an aftermarket air lid on a LS1 could be a reasonable article.

like i said, its just an idea...

bubba428
05-23-2007, 10:19 AM
Thats a good idea. I think it should be done. It would help eliminate alot of questons in the Tech forums and I've got a few little things I wouldn't mind doing one on.

NJSPEEDER
05-23-2007, 01:05 PM
it has been discussed and it is something we are planing to do this summer with the help of some members.
the thing we are worried about is how bad so many tech articles and tech sites are with their DIY descriptions. rarely will you find a site that actually lists every step, includes a list of required/recomended tools, a realistic time frame for doing the work on jackstands at home, or even a list all the required parts to do the job right.
there will be a few articles coming, it is jsut a matter of finding the time to do the work, take pics, write up the articles, and edit everything.
i promise that the technical knowledge data base will be up and running by the end of the summer.

Untamed
05-24-2007, 12:21 PM
Yeah a bunch of us have been calling for this section to be implemented since shortly after NJFBOA went live.

I would think a template with required fields would at least standardize the look and feel that each article has. Come up with a bunch of required data fields, sticky it to the top of the thread, and have folks C/P it to their thread, then fill in the info. Then make it sort of like a wiki - allowing people to add or change information, with the moderators making appropriate changes, while keeping out the discussion-type posts. That way each project / tech idea is clean and to the point.

Tru2Chevy
05-24-2007, 02:05 PM
Then make it sort of like a wiki - allowing people to add or change information, with the moderators making appropriate changes, while keeping out the discussion-type posts.

I was actually contemplating the idea of setting up an actual Wiki for this project - just not sure what they are like to manage yet.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki

- Justin

bobb1589
05-29-2007, 09:13 PM
i dont know if a wiki is the correct type of app to do this with... you need more like a tutorial app... if i get time i could write something custom to do this and let you guys see it... seeing that i have all summer i may give it a shot

WildBillyT
05-29-2007, 09:13 PM
I would give a thumbs down on the Wiki, just because people could give bad advice that isn't checked properly.

Untamed
05-31-2007, 11:21 AM
I would give a thumbs down on the Wiki, just because people could give bad advice that isn't checked properly.

Bad advice will always be problematic, whether its in a wiki format, or the tech forums we already have now. Technically vetting the advice could come from either trained (and experienced) mechanics, or by general consensus. The former allows for quick, concise agreements or suggested changes to the advice, eliminating long discussions; the latter allows for additional ideas or approaches to the topic in question as well as technical vetting, though the discussion threads get long and ambiguity sets in with the disagreements.

Like setting up moderators of a forum, pick out three competent mechanics within the club to respond to advice posted in a wiki, correcting mistakes, clarifying misinterpretations and offering other suggestions (these are all opinions, not professional recommendations) that become add-ons to the topic in question. Since all we're really doing is capturing people's experiences - what went right and wrong, and what would you do differently next time - I don't think we have to worry about giving professional testimonials that will be used in court, or sold in books to the public. Just preserve the experience and advice of those who have truly "been there, done that".

The tech section shouldn't be a place to post hypothesis, philosophical discussion, or other think-tank type topics. It should just be a repository for "what's worked for me" so that other people, who may be working on the same thing, can get some insight into the process. It's recording the facts of what happened during the event, while also providing opinion about how things might be made easier.

I can't see too many of these being posted each day, so a daily or weekly sweep of the "tech experience threads" would be enough for most people, without placing any real burden on the mechanics who moderate the threads.

Feedback?

EDIT: The kinds of things that would probably be most useful to people, aren't the "big" things like swapping engines, but instead those little, annoying these we have to do that are specific to the model / year of our cars.

Ex.

"How to remove A-pillar trim from a third gen Firebird without breaking the plastic pins."

"Replacing the Engine Temp Sending Unit, in a Chevy 305 - Without Pulling Out the Engine" (if there is any advice on this, I'm all ears, so to speak.)

"Realigning the hood on your third gen Camaro, by yourself."

.. and so on.

Untamed
05-31-2007, 11:34 AM
Of course I keep thinking of other things on this topic...

What would be real helpful, is the ability to post pictures within the text. In addition to describing the experience, any color pictures that can be edited in PhotoShop, then added to the tech article, would be that much more useful. Pictures that can be taken, then edited in PhotoShop to include arrows, diagrams, or whatever - drawing attention to the specific item in question - would be awesome! That way, true F-body Dummies, like me, can really go to work on items that may just be within our skill, but made easier by everyones experiences and pictures.

WildBillyT
05-31-2007, 11:53 AM
Bad advice will always be problematic, whether its in a wiki format, or the tech forums we already have now. Technically vetting the advice could come from either trained (and experienced) mechanics, or by general consensus. The former allows for quick, concise agreements or suggested changes to the advice, eliminating long discussions; the latter allows for additional ideas or approaches to the topic in question as well as technical vetting, though the discussion threads get long and ambiguity sets in with the disagreements.

Like setting up moderators of a forum, pick out three competent mechanics within the club to respond to advice posted in a wiki, correcting mistakes, clarifying misinterpretations and offering other suggestions (these are all opinions, not professional recommendations) that become add-ons to the topic in question. Since all we're really doing is capturing people's experiences - what went right and wrong, and what would you do differently next time - I don't think we have to worry about giving professional testimonials that will be used in court, or sold in books to the public. Just preserve the experience and advice of those who have truly "been there, done that".

The tech section shouldn't be a place to post hypothesis, philosophical discussion, or other think-tank type topics. It should just be a repository for "what's worked for me" so that other people, who may be working on the same thing, can get some insight into the process. It's recording the facts of what happened during the event, while also providing opinion about how things might be made easier.

I can't see too many of these being posted each day, so a daily or weekly sweep of the "tech experience threads" would be enough for most people, without placing any real burden on the mechanics who moderate the threads.

Feedback?

EDIT: The kinds of things that would probably be most useful to people, aren't the "big" things like swapping engines, but instead those little, annoying these we have to do that are specific to the model / year of our cars.

Ex.

"How to remove A-pillar trim from a third gen Firebird without breaking the plastic pins."

"Replacing the Engine Temp Sending Unit, in a Chevy 305 - Without Pulling Out the Engine" (if there is any advice on this, I'm all ears, so to speak.)

"Realigning the hood on your third gen Camaro, by yourself."

.. and so on.

My point about the Wiki is that anybody can modify it and it won't be corrected until somebody sees it. Somebody could change something just to be a jerk, or say something that isn't quite right and another person who doesn't know any better thinks it's the truth and the way to go. It would probably be a lot of work to police a wiki like that.

Untamed
05-31-2007, 12:00 PM
My point about the Wiki is that anybody can modify it and it won't be corrected until somebody sees it. Somebody could change something just to be a jerk, or say something that isn't quite right and another person who doesn't know any better thinks it's the truth and the way to go. It would probably be a lot of work to police a wiki like that.

Point taken. Wiki's allow people to over-write whats on there, whereas a forum just allows people to post to a thread, preserving whatever is already on there.

We need to find a way to keep each tech article on point, without long discussion threads attached.

WildBillyT
05-31-2007, 12:03 PM
Point taken. Wiki's allow people to over-write whats on there, whereas a forum just allows people to post to a thread, preserving whatever is already on there.

We need to find a way to keep each tech article on point, without long discussion threads attached.

Agreed.

I am thinking static HTML pages for each topic, kind of like the way Install University does it.

BonzoHansen
05-31-2007, 07:26 PM
Agreed on above - lots of wrong wiki info out there.

bobb1589
05-31-2007, 09:31 PM
Agreed.

I am thinking static HTML pages for each topic, kind of like the way Install University does it.

i disagree'd with the wiki idea. like i said i can make something that you would login and post a tutorial, static html can take too much time and keep people from wanting to write it, a dynamic approach would be something where certain people have access to it, and this access can be changed by an admin. writing/editing permissions could be granted separately. there are other things out there other than a wiki. i personally am against the wiki idea because of its ease of access restrictions..

Untamed
09-05-2007, 08:51 AM
*BUMP*

Anything on the radar screen thats real? Anything we can do to help make this happen?

Thanks.

NJSPEEDER
09-05-2007, 03:01 PM
closer than you think :twisted:

basic layout and format are pretty much final(need to be spell and grammar checked since i wrote them. lol). the vehicle volunteered is in for a good amount of work in the next seveal months, so i am sure once we get the first article up there will be several more following close behind.
also, once we get the format out there and get some feedback we will be reaching out to our membership to include us in their winter projects so that we can cover as many different gens, topics, and parts swaps as possible all with complete tool and parts required lists, real step by step instructions and tips, and an accurate display of the time frame for the average enthusiast at home to complete projects of all sizes.

jims69camaro
09-09-2007, 10:12 AM
since the fall equinox falls on the 23rd, that pretty much spells out the end of the summer...

let me know if i can do anything to help.

Untamed
10-03-2007, 02:17 PM
Winter work weather coming up.

*BUMP*

Ian
10-03-2007, 07:41 PM
I plan on putting together a tech write up of my LT1/T56 swap. the basic mechanics of it are pretty simple, but the wiring and the fuel system are where I'll probably put most of the effort.