PDA

View Full Version : Headliner repair

bokey
06-08-2007, 09:22 AM
What have you used to repair your sagging head liner?

Mine is starting to sag on the driver and passenger side. I'm not sure if somebody makes it, but i was thinking of something like an injection glue: stick a needle through the liner spray it up on the foam and then press the cloth back to the foam?

jamessr
06-08-2007, 01:48 PM
Well depending on dried out it is...
They do sell an Adhesive spray. Trick is not to drench the area. I've helped a buddy do his before. I suggest spraying lightly then once the area is tacky, gently lay the cloth over so it doesn't soak up the glue and that should stop it from showing threw. Any local parts store will carry adhesive spray. Just a suggestion

http://ken-co.com/permatex/99ma.htm

http://ken-co.com/images/permatex/spray-adhesive.jpg

NJSPEEDER
06-08-2007, 08:11 PM
to get it to hang up correcty again you are gonna have to pull the headliner down and do a little prep work. be very careful with 3rd gen headliners, they weren't made to ever be removed and the backer board is rather fragile.

V
06-09-2007, 01:24 AM
also, there is a different type of spray adhesive made for carpet and headliners. Not sure if its actually any different or just a marketing scheme but worth looking into.

WayFast84
06-09-2007, 08:04 AM
check tgo, there are a few threads about DIY headliners, even a tech article. You should pretty much EXPECT to Have to fiberglass some parts of the board.

edit, dont do this, It just get a headliner, and board from some where.

johnjzjz
06-09-2007, 05:48 PM
we have always used vinal top adheasive spray - do both side to be put back together let dry 1/2 hour and form together no do overs its how you put it is how its going to look note you can not pull it back apart one time deal only -- jz

WildBillyT
06-11-2007, 09:42 AM
also, there is a different type of spray adhesive made for carpet and headliners. Not sure if its actually any different or just a marketing scheme but worth looking into.

3M's general trim adhesive works great for this type of stuff (the best IMO), but be SURE to use it in an area with good ventilation.

It comes out kind of silly-stringy, and once it hits it bubbles up a bit. You should let it set up for a minute and then press your material down. I used it on an entire car and it has held up great.

bokey
06-12-2007, 09:49 AM
the head liner isn't sagging very badly at all -- just starting to ... I really don't want to pull of it out.

Ideally, what I wanted to do was make a small incision and then spray a little bit of adhesive on the board and then push it back up. And it's not just a thin piece of cloth hanging it actually feels pretty thick (yet soft) :?:

jims69camaro
07-08-2007, 11:16 AM
well, i don't think your surgery idea is very practical. it will need to be done in other areas a little bit down the road, and you will end up with a patchwork design if you repair each sag like you stated above. if you are not ready to buy a new board or repair the one you've got, a temporary fix is to use push pins or thumbtacks to hold up the sagging area. i don't recommend leaving them in very long, just until you get ready to do the complete job. it looks a lot nicer if you can match the color of the thumbtack and your headliner, but the tacks can always be painted with a dot of nail polish or something similar to get the color closer to the fabric.

i have done the above in a pinch, and basically it was just to keep it from hitting my head as i got in and out of the car. i eventually pulled the board and painted it with texture paint. unless you touched it, you didn't know it wasn't fabric. of course, there are arguments aboot acoustics and what-not, but i wasn't ready to shell out for a new board and i've seen the glue sprays fail on a number of headliners. btw, this was a non-fbody. both my f-bodies will get authentic headliner replacements when the time comes.