PDA

View Full Version : Just Sea Foam'd My Car...

hardline_42
06-09-2007, 12:22 PM
BEST...............MOD..................EVER! :headbang:

I went to Retarded Auto Parts and picked up two cans of Sea Foam and one can of Sea Foam Deep Creep. Went to the gas station, dumped one can of Sea Foam in the tank and filled up with premium.

Drove home, popped the hood and unplugged the brake booster vac hose. I poured half a can of Sea Foam into an empty water bottle, stuck a funnel into the vac hose and started the car.

After letting it run for a few minutes (the vac leak makes it idle high) I slowly poured 2/3 of the water bottle contents into the funnel making sure not to let the car stall out. The last third gets dumped in all at once to make the car stall. This suspends the Sea Foam in the chambers and lets it do it's job.

I reconnected the vac hose and removed the airbox and elbow assembly to expose the throttle body. I had my sister-in-law hold down the gas pedal to open the throttle blades and sprayed the Deep Creep into the throttle, wiping away any grime I could reach. Then I reinstalled the airbox assembly.

I waited about 20 minutes and then I dumped the remainder of the Sea Foam can into the crankcase (scary, I know). Sea Foam is pretty aggressive and I'm afraid it's gonna disintegrate my already-weak seals, so I'm gonna change the oil after I get back from work tomorrow and add some Lucas Oil Stab to the new oil.

It took a little while to start it up afterwards but it finally took (thanks to my new starter :| ) and the tailpipes started spewing copious amounts of thick blue smoke (tip: close your windows before you start it up). After letting it idle for about 10 - 15 minutes, I jumped in the car and tore out of my development leaving a 50 foot long blanket of smoke for the neighbors to enjoy. I drove it hard for about 20 minutes (had to go to Home Depot) and the results were instant.

First off, the idle was way smoother. There was always a slight miss that is now gone, making the idle crisp and effortless (this is nice considering my new poly mounts were amplifying all the engine vibrations).

Acceleration was great. Very smooth compared to before with less bogging between 1st and 2nd (A4).

The engine revs and feels much looser. It's a totally different animal. I'll have to see how much mpg's I gained by cleaning the sludge and carbon out of my engine but, judging by the amount of junk that blew out of my tailpipes, I would say it'll be atleast noticeable.

Even though the Sea Foam instructions say it's safe, I'm gonna replace the O2 sensors. I don't like the idea of all that gunk passing through the exhaust.

In short, for $18 worth of Sea Foam and a half hour of work, I'd say this is a worthwhile maintenance procedure.

SamhainZ28
06-09-2007, 12:27 PM
i did this on my 67 cutlass, when i poured it in the carburator the entire neighborhood was blanketed in smoke, it was so great

deadtrend1
06-09-2007, 12:29 PM
yea, i try to do this at twilight so its not so noticable. I did it on a few cars, it really works wonders

Brando56894
06-09-2007, 07:22 PM
i put seafoam in the gas tanks of both of my 2001 birds, it didnt really make a difference since the cars were only 6 years old but hell it was worth it :lol:

maroman88
06-09-2007, 08:16 PM
i tried it last week but i dont think i got quite that into it lol. i sucked up a little into the vacum hose poured a little in the oil and a little in the gas and ripped it around the neighborhood. i just got an oil change so ill go hardcore right before the next change lol

Brando56894
06-09-2007, 08:27 PM
yea most of the time thats where i messed up, i would end up seafoaming my car like 200-300 miles after i changed the oil :lol: so in the gas tank it went

JL8Jeff
06-09-2007, 09:27 PM
Yeah, I posted about doing it last weekend and got a nice bit of white smoke for a while. I'm still getting some pinging and knock retard when I blip the throttle so I might need another round. But what's strange is that I had a tank of 89 octane in the car, beat on it to burn off the seafoam and revved the car all over for a couple of days. Today I filled up expecting the gas mileage to be down a couple of mpg and to my surprise that tank actually was better than the previous one! I've been averaging a little over 18 mpg and this tank with the seafoam and me revving the heck out of it actually got almost 19 mpg and that's with no highway driving! It's good to clean the combustion chambers once in a while.:nod:

DieselKickYoAss4Sure
06-09-2007, 10:02 PM
sea foam doesnt do diddly squat but make your car smoke and stink up the neighborhood>

j0n
06-09-2007, 10:26 PM
sea foam doesnt do diddly squat but make your car smoke and stink up the neighborhood>

tell us, phil, how do you really feel?

wrong generation
06-10-2007, 02:13 AM
hmm wonder if sea foam would help my wimpy little 2.8 with its lack of power and major lack of burn out ability problems :(

all i want is enough power/torque to burn the tires every so often is that to much to ask for lol

trashman01
06-10-2007, 08:14 AM
all i want is enough power/torque to burn the tires every so often is that to much to ask for lol

gears

wrong generation
06-10-2007, 08:48 AM
gears

lol there isnt any hope for my 2.8

98tadriver
06-10-2007, 07:20 PM
i used that stuff, it didnt do anything for me...

Tru2Chevy
06-14-2007, 08:51 AM

I burned off 1/2 the tread of a 40k mile right rear tire in 2k miles with my '85 2.8. Didn't have any problem making a smoke show with it anytime I wanted to....

- Justin

NightRydaSS
06-14-2007, 09:07 AM
im just afraid if i use it ill foul a plug. I have been using STP's injector cleaner & furl system cleaner after EVERY oil change, and i use NOTHING but 93 oct (no matter how high arabs raise the gas price), haven't had any issues with the stuff. i read on LS1tech.com that you can foul some plugs (makes sense i guess) with seafoam.

I dunno, i guess if i didn't take care of my car it would be worth the risk, but i doubt my car motor is dirty anyways since i'm so anal about it.

hardline_42
06-14-2007, 11:09 AM
im just afraid if i use it ill foul a plug. I have been using STP's injector cleaner & furl system cleaner after EVERY oil change, and i use NOTHING but 93 oct (no matter how high arabs raise the gas price), haven't had any issues with the stuff. i read on LS1tech.com that you can foul some plugs (makes sense i guess) with seafoam.

I dunno, i guess if i didn't take care of my car it would be worth the risk, but i doubt my car motor is dirty anyways since i'm so anal about it.

Schedule it right before a tune up. I changed out my O2 sensors after Sea Foaming and I'll probably change the plugs soon too. For the record, I've only seen an increase in performance. Nothing indicates that the car needs new plugs or sensors but I'm playing it safe.

bokey
06-14-2007, 11:55 AM
When I had my jeep I used it at EVERY oil change and never had an issue with plugs fouling, sensors going bad etc. All I did was slowly pour 3/4 of the can through the throttle body and then the other 1/4 through the valve cover. Wait 15 minutes, turned the car back on.

I never noticed huge performance gains but it did run a little smoother, etc. Besides, it's never a bad thing to have a good ol' cleaning of your valves, combustion chambers, etc.

Tsar
06-14-2007, 12:02 PM
i always wanted to do it to my car.

bokey
06-14-2007, 12:04 PM
i always wanted to do it to my car.

go for it -- at the very least you'll know everything is sqeeky clean :lol: besides, its only like $5.49 at Advance

Tsar
06-14-2007, 12:15 PM
go for it -- at the very least you'll know everything is sqeeky clean :lol: besides, its only like $5.49 at Advance
well the thing that has stopped me in the past is that I've heard that i might have to change spark plugs after i sea foam it. And i really don't wanna do that on my LT1 :lol: And I'm absolutely clueless where to put it :rofl: so someone would have to show it to me...

V
06-14-2007, 12:17 PM
I'm absolutely clueless where to put it :rofl: so someone would have to show it to me...

:-D... i just had to.

Tsar
06-14-2007, 12:18 PM
:-D... i just had to.
:rofl: thanks paul