PDA

View Full Version : Car won't start.. please help

jamessr
06-24-2007, 10:28 AM
The car worked fine the night before when i got home around 10PM.
Woke up the next morning and when I turned the key the lighst on the panel come on but no crank. My security light comes on for 2 seconds then goes off with the air bag and check engine light. I'm hoping its not VATS but it does go off after a second.
After I turned the key I checked for fuel at the rail, I have fuel pressure.
My battery is reading 12.58V, I checked all the fuses under the hood in those 2 boxes. I even changed the relays for starter, fuel pump with the fans, no use. I wasn't reading any voltage on the fuses themselves to ground but the large leads going into the boxes(main power) to ground read 12V. Not sure if that might be the issue. Also inside I checked some fuses inside drivers side, I had voltage to ground on all of them except
3 STG WHL CNTRL 1A
13 STG WHL CNTRL 1A
Everything else had voltage to ground.
I had a turn up 4 days ago but the car ran fine after that. I have to goto work in like an hour but I'd like a few suggestions on what to check.

Thanks in advance, this is my 1st LS1 and I'm clueless on what to check

2000 WS6 Trans AM 6SPD

ins0mnia24
06-24-2007, 03:22 PM
Since you have a voltage meter and you are already in a no start situation try unhooking your ignition harness from the coil pack ..
And check for voltage with the key on..
That will tell you if your coil packs are getting power and source your problem to the ignition switch under the dash behind the knee bolster..

GP99GT
06-24-2007, 05:54 PM
even if the coil packs werent getting power it would still turn over, no?

to me it sounds like either VATS or clutch safety switch

ins0mnia24
06-24-2007, 07:46 PM
No if it was the ignition switch under the dash it wouldnt turn over, click or do anything when you turned the key..
It would be the same symptom as the vat's, ignition key cylinder ect..

Just like sometime when they start to fail they will start sometimes or they won't start at other times..

GP99GT
06-24-2007, 07:49 PM
oh yeah true...i wasnt thinking :lol:

jamessr
06-24-2007, 09:11 PM
I haven't been home since I wrote this, still at work now :)
Anyway a few people at work threw out it maybe a starter issues..
What do you think?

GP99GT
06-24-2007, 09:18 PM
if its the starter usually youll get a click from the solenoid at least

jamessr
06-24-2007, 09:50 PM
Ok I get home like 10 minsute ago and decide to try it again. I turn the key I can here my starter trying to engauge, I can hear the bendix hitting the flywheel.
So I turn in a few more times then it starts up. I turned it off and restarted again 3 more times and it starts up fine. I'm not totally happy due to i don't understand what I just done.

I've worked on marine starter systems before, could it be maybe the teeth weren't lining up proper to turn?

GP99GT
06-25-2007, 05:12 AM
could just be on its way out....if it happens again, give the starter a few raps with a hammer, then try to start it...if it goes then, theres your problem

V
06-25-2007, 09:29 AM
a few years back i had my SS out, was driving 2 hours in VERY heavy rain. came home from CT, parked the car, next morning nothing. it would take 3-5 attempts to get it to crank. rest of the time there was nothign at all coming from the starter. i took it to the dealer and had a new starter put in under warranty. been perfect since then. apparently the rain somehow got to the starter :shrug:

bobb1589
06-25-2007, 09:47 AM
i haev the same problem... ill go out to my car... go to turn... nothing... i just keep turnign to off position then try to crank it again.. cranks eventually... im too lazy to actually look into the problem :X

cam70nfs
07-01-2007, 10:32 PM
i had an older nova
same shi* i installed a bump switch directly to the starter hot wire and battery.

in case it happens again in a pinch it will engage the starter and car should start.