PDA

View Full Version : Removing bumper supports?

ar0ck
06-27-2007, 08:35 PM
If I was looking to ditch some weight in the form of removing bumper supports will it effect the shape of my front & rear bumper? I remember James car didn't have them and you could push the bumper in & it would pop back out but is this going to have any adverse effects?

BonzoHansen
06-27-2007, 09:16 PM
I might this it would get 'floppy', not to mention potential reduced collision protection.

Untamed
06-28-2007, 09:04 AM
Safety > weight reduction

If this is a race-only car that you will trailer somewhere then its probably ok. If you drive to the track, you might consider removing something else for weight reduction.

Pampered-Z
06-28-2007, 09:16 AM
It won't really sag or cave-in. But without the support it they do tend to "pull away" from the mounts resulting in gaps between the hood and fenders.

For a street car, you could lighten the support but drilling out the steel back plate and maybe removing some of the plastic supports. But I wouldn't dump the entire thing.

For me front mount intercooler I made supports to hold the nose up. If I ever had a front impact it will mostly destroy the intercooler!

ar0ck
06-28-2007, 03:09 PM
Well on the LT1's at least is there a separate bracket that holds the fog lights in? I may just want to remove that and have nothing behind the bumper in that area so I can run ducting.

Savage_Messiah
06-28-2007, 09:46 PM
Well on the LT1's at least is there a separate bracket that holds the fog lights in?

no.

GrandmasterCow
06-29-2007, 12:09 AM
It won't really sag or cave-in. But without the support it they do tend to "pull away" from the mounts resulting in gaps between the hood and fenders.

For a street car, you could lighten the support but drilling out the steel back plate and maybe removing some of the plastic supports. But I wouldn't dump the entire thing.

For me front mount intercooler I made supports to hold the nose up. If I ever had a front impact it will mostly destroy the intercooler!

i did same thing for my FMIC, and the nose and all holds together well.