PDA

View Full Version : specialty tools?

WayFast84
07-01-2007, 07:56 PM
What specialty tools will i need to finish my camshaft and oil pump install?

I have a harmonic balancer puller, and the balancer is off.

thanks in advance

BonzoHansen
07-01-2007, 09:13 PM
Balancer installation tool is a nice to have or must have, depending on who you ask. Same for cam degree wheel. Torque wrench, given the heads are off..

WayFast84
07-01-2007, 09:50 PM
what about a crank gear puller?

BonzoHansen
07-01-2007, 10:30 PM
Oh sure. A timing light for when you get it back together.

WayFast84
07-01-2007, 10:36 PM
what would a light do?

im dumb :(

BonzoHansen
07-01-2007, 10:43 PM
You gotta time the ignition when you get it running.

WayFast84
07-01-2007, 11:08 PM
how?

what did they do before they had lights?

WildBillyT
07-01-2007, 11:19 PM
how?

what did they do before they had lights?

Probably had locked in timing or something like that. Timing lights have been around a while, it's basically a strobe light in tune with your spark so that you can view the timing mark on the balancer as it spins very fast.

The Fixer
07-01-2007, 11:36 PM
If you don't don't have a cam handle to install the new one, you should head down to the hardware store and get 3 long bolts with the same thread pitch as the ones you pulled out with the old cam gear. Screw them into the cam and wrap some tape around them, and presto! Instant cheap cam handle.

deadtrend1
07-02-2007, 06:39 PM
If you don't don't have a cam handle to install the new one, you should head down to the hardware store and get 3 long bolts with the same thread pitch as the ones you pulled out with the old cam gear. Screw them into the cam and wrap some tape around them, and presto! Instant cheap cam handle.

I just use the timing chain sprocket as my cam tool .. :-P

You may want to get a oil pump primer, or a long screwdriver to align the oil pump dowel to the dizzy when you reinstall it

Pampered-Z
07-03-2007, 09:52 AM
You should have ALLOT of tools!

All of the tools mentioned about plus I would:

If you haven't done so, taps for all the holes to ensure they are clean and the threads and goods. So you need a quality tap/diy set

1/2 drive drill to prime the engine

Crank snout socket ( to turn the engine over )

Torque wrench

Not a tool ,but you'll need all the torque specs!

How big a cam and was the block decked or the heads milled? might need a pushrod length checking tool. big cam? then valve spring removal tool and test valve sping and dial indicator (used in conjunction with degree wheel to check piston to valve clearance)

BonzoHansen
07-03-2007, 10:31 AM
Not a tool ,but you'll need all the torque specs!..the manual has all that...:wink:

WayFast84
07-03-2007, 11:59 AM
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Mechanics+Tools&pid=00947368000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Automotive+Specialty+Tools&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

will that work for the crank gear?

Pampered-Z
07-03-2007, 12:35 PM
You want a 3-finger puller, not a 2-finger. The three applies/distributes pressure as to not pinch the gear.

You can save a few buck buying from Autozone. Since this isn't a tool you will use very often no need to buy a real good one.

http://www.autozone.com/selectedZip,17820/initialAction,accessoryProductDetail/initialR,NONAPP23484/shopping/selectZip.htm

BonzoHansen
07-03-2007, 12:54 PM
You can 'rent/borrow' some of these at autozone/advance auto too. Like the balancer install tool, some others.

SamhainZ28
07-03-2007, 01:15 PM
distributer wrench for when you are going to put it in time

WayFast84
08-22-2007, 02:51 PM
I got a 3 finger puller and cant get the gear off, It didnt come with directions and I stripped the blancer hole. how can i get this thing off?

BonzoHansen
08-22-2007, 03:16 PM
You stripped the threads in the crank??

WayFast84
08-22-2007, 03:33 PM

yep, I wish it had directions :-x

camaro2you
08-22-2007, 03:57 PM

Not good....

WayFast84
08-22-2007, 05:29 PM
would it be because I used the wrong puller?

BonzoHansen
08-22-2007, 05:48 PM
I have no idea how you did that. I must pull them gears off differently. You eff'd up entirely.

WayFast84
08-22-2007, 05:53 PM
I have no idea how you did that. I must pull them gears off differently. You eff'd up entirely.

no directions, how do you do it so I know how?

edit

I used the pin/ long screw in the balancer bolt and attached the 3 fingers to the crank gear and tightened. wrong or right?

BonzoHansen
08-22-2007, 06:46 PM
The screw in the middle shoud not have gone into the bolt hole. It should have rode on the snout. At least that is how my pullers work.

Tru2Chevy
08-22-2007, 07:14 PM
If you stripped the crank where the balancer bolt goes, you've gotta get that fixed. Otherwise the crank is junk.....

Also, heads are not part of a short block.

- Justin

WayFast84
08-22-2007, 07:23 PM
The screw in the middle shoud not have gone into the bolt hole. It should have rode on the snout. At least that is how my pullers work.

snout? the out side of the hole? errrrrrr it wouldve just slid off,

WayFast84
08-22-2007, 07:24 PM
If you stripped the crank where the balancer bolt goes, you've gotta get that fixed. Otherwise the crank is junk.....

Also, heads are not part of a short block.

- Justin

I know, i said the shortblock all together meaning, its a shortblock now.

how do I get the crank hole fixed?

WayFast84
08-22-2007, 07:44 PM
so no one get this messed up again(i cant be the only one) heres what i did, I duct taped a old lifter to the crank and then used the puller, worked perfectly, what size helicoil should I get? how much do they cost and where can i get them?

BonzoHansen
08-22-2007, 10:03 PM
STOP

Wait for someone who knows what they are doing to help you. A simple tap might fix it up. Hasn't Paul been helping you? I guarantee he knows what to do.

If you rush this and screw your crank up you will be pissed.

WildBillyT
08-22-2007, 10:10 PM
STOP

you will be WayPissed.

Fixed.

And agreed. Find someone who knows how to do it properly or you can/will make it worse.

Tru2Chevy
08-22-2007, 10:11 PM
Depends on how bad the threads are....you may be able to just use a tap and die set to clean the threads up (I would advise that you have it done by a professional, or at least someone with plenty of experience).

If they are bad enough, then the crank is prolly junk. You can't exactly helicoil your crank or something like that.

- Justin

johnjzjz
08-23-2007, 08:09 AM
crank threads are at least 3/4 of an inch long its a 7/16 fine thread and chasing it will fix the end you messed up - a little blue lock tight will retain it just fine - note before they had threads in the end the balancer was just pressed on and and lock tight was not invented yet - yep 327 vetts had a problem with them falling off -- so it does not need a Helli coil and the cranks metal ( cast ) steel is not the best for a cut thread the end is a rolled thread that is why you will need blue ( NOT RED ) lock tight because when you - re tap the threads the pitch depth will change and the bolt will feel a little on the loose side -- just have some one help you so it does not become a complete disaster -- jz

WayFast84
09-05-2007, 08:35 PM
the tap went in fine, but the stock bolt wouldn't go in, I got a new bolt from the auto parts store but it looked different and didn't want to go in either, But One bolt I had went in I just need to get a right balancer bolt and it should go in. If not Ill use the bolt that fits in just a shorter version. I'm sure Hardcorez28 can explain what was happening better then me.

HardcoreZ28
09-06-2007, 12:23 PM
Something is still funny with either the hole or the balancer bolt. The beginning of the threads were smooshed in from pressing against them with the pulley puller but I was able to clean them up with a tap. The "balancer bolt" was just a Grade 8 hardware store bolt and still won't go in straight even after I chased it with a dye. I've suggested that he get an actual balancer bolt and see where that leaves him. If it still doesn't want to go in I'm going to run back over there for him one night and use a better quality tap....the one I had was from an offshore brand set and a good one might be slightly larger and clean the threads better.

johnjzjz
09-06-2007, 07:38 PM
i dont want to say this -- but -- if its not a chevy crank it might be a china thread -- but i think its an OEM chevy unit from the pictures i have seen -- i can mail you a correct bolt and an american tap you can keep if need be send me a PM - about address -- jz

HardcoreZ28
09-06-2007, 10:55 PM
i dont want to say this -- but -- if its not a chevy crank it might be a china thread -- but i think its an OEM chevy unit from the pictures i have seen -- i can mail you a correct bolt and an american tap you can keep if need be send me a PM - about address -- jz

Definitely not a metric tap. The 7/16 x 20 went in very easy once I got the first two or three threads straightened out.

WayFast84
09-14-2007, 09:31 PM
What If I used the bolt I had that worked, locktighted it. and used washers so its the perfect size.

Savage_Messiah
09-16-2007, 01:14 PM
THis is kinda an important bolt, don't wanna half-*** it.