PDA

View Full Version : Electrical issue...alternator?

Blackbirdws6
07-05-2007, 12:28 PM
I recently had a racetronix fuel pump installed with the upgrade wiring harness. It pulls power directly from the alternator (74000 miles) and for some reason, my lighting has been acting up a bit. One odd thing is that when I hit the brakes, the lights will dim on my head unit. Same will happen when I use the turn signals and will dim in sequence with the signal. The harness grounds to the passenger side ground location btw. The volts (on the guage) are always above 13 and look to be around 14 when running during any kind of driving. The car has the factory alternator and 3 month old red top optima battery. Car starts right up and no other issues. My guess may be that the stock alternator doesn't have enough to sustain all the stuff I have electrically. However, all my lights on the exterior besides the headlights and fogs are LEDs (all of them) so I should be drawing less power to run them. Only additional things that I have running are my small amp and 2 subs which are really not big at all. Any ideas?

-Brian

GP99GT
07-09-2007, 05:09 PM
why is it on the alternator? put it on the battery post

BonzoHansen
07-09-2007, 08:04 PM
What he said. Also, how are your grounds?

WildBillyT
07-09-2007, 08:27 PM
why is it on the alternator? put it on the battery post

Chances are the instruction book told him to do that. I know the instructions for my Casper's rewire said to do so.

Blackbirdws6
07-09-2007, 09:01 PM
racetronix's instructions said that it should be on the alternator to make sure its getting a steady and constant voltage. Update is that I took apart the ground and power area on the right underhood fender, cleaned it all and put it back together. I pulled off the alternator and took it to advance auto to have it checked for free. It failed for not nearly enough amps. Rather than buy a stocker, I ordered a 160A alternator that should keep up a little better. My guess is the alternator was not doing so hot(prob due to the load of the fuel pump) and the optima battery was saving my weak charging system. When the new alt comes in I'll hopefully see if it fixes my issues.

-Brian