PDA

View Full Version : Killing the Cats

96BlkBrd
08-06-2007, 09:54 AM
Hey guys, I was fortunate enough to have bought and registered my car (96 T/A with Ram Air) in South Carolina even though I live in NY. Since SC doesn't do inspections and I won't have to do it up here, I was wondering what the pros and cons of removing the catalytic converters would be. Would there be any adverse effect on the car? Will it run a little faster/better? Will removing the cats mess with the computer? Any input will be greatly appreciated..Thanks in advance.

Predator86
08-17-2007, 06:02 PM
It can throw off the O2 sensors i believe so your gonna have to replace the sensors with fake ones that basicly tell the computer your running with cats.

It will reduce your back pressure wich is good and the sound will clearly be much louder but it will also sound raspy.

bubba428
08-17-2007, 06:32 PM
V8 rasp is sexy........F the cats stock cats are nothing but a limitation, some after market High flow cats are extremely good for street cars and they keep you legal to visual police inspections. (I've had it done before)

Firebird67dude
08-17-2007, 07:02 PM
Inspection wise you dont need it but visualy up here you do. It needs to be there physicly. Take it off and hollow it out and have a straight pipe welded thru it. If u get a road side inspection, I've gotten two already, it needs to be there

bubba428
08-17-2007, 07:13 PM
High flow is the way to go

jimfear
08-17-2007, 09:16 PM
Inspection wise you dont need it but visualy up here you do. It needs to be there physicly. Take it off and hollow it out and have a straight pipe welded thru it. If u get a road side inspection, I've gotten two already, it needs to be there

make sure when you hollow them out you breathe in the palladium...

Predator86
08-18-2007, 02:34 AM

Thats a good idea...but one thing u dont wanna do is just hollow out the cat and put it on just like that... i know a kid with a mustang that did that and i sounded like absolute ish!

Batman
08-19-2007, 10:09 AM
On a stock or mildly modified car high flow cats are plenty. You can tune out the rear O2's and the car will make more power but you are going to lose a good chunk of fuel mileage in the process. I would get a good set of highflow cats (Magnaflow!). The power difference over straight pipe will be negligible and you won't lose 4 MPG in the process. Plus, living in NY, if you get caught here without them and your address is a NY address they are going to rape you with tickets because by law if you change your address or buy a car out of state, then go to another state you have to register and insepect your car in that state, if memory serves, within 90 days. Not worth the risk IMO, especially when high flow CATS are just about as good.

Firebird67dude
08-19-2007, 05:29 PM
Thats a good idea...but one thing u dont wanna do is just hollow out the cat and put it on just like that... i know a kid with a mustang that did that and i sounded like absolute ish!

Mine is liek that. its not asloud as the one with the puipe thru it was but i have a much better tone out of it.

1QWIKBIRD
08-19-2007, 07:33 PM
Mine is liek that. its not asloud as the one with the puipe thru it was but i have a much better tone out of it.

I have cats on my car that are gutted. After the "brick material" came loose inside the shell and rattled I just pulled down the y-pipe, cut it at the cat, broke the brick material up let it fall out and then did the same to the good cat. Welded it all back up and bolted it back up without a pipe through it. Sounds fine to me, it is a little raspy, but not horrible. In fact I don't really think its that noticeable. But my memory is kinda shot.

Right now, I have it dumping at the end of the bullet muffler plumbed into my intermediate pipe because my electric cut-out died so i just took it off and now the car sounds really good and it screams from 2500 to 6200 when the big yellow light says shift.....It is a little on the loud side at full throttle, but no worse that anything else on the road (ricers/harleys with drag pipes/hot rodded diesel trucks, etc.) and there is a bit of drone in sixth gear on the highway, but it's a trade off I like. If the cutout was working and I was making use of the full exhaust system, you would not suspect anything and the sound would be near stock.

Your car will smell if you gut the cats....Kinda like old school muscle cars. There will a gas odor, so don't be surprised.

Chris

JL8Jeff
08-19-2007, 07:57 PM
If you want to run a gutted cat, definitely put a pipe through it. Having that empty cat shell will mess up the exhaust gas flow big time. The hollow chamber will allow it to expand too quickly.

GP99GT
08-19-2007, 08:01 PM
it smells delicious

Predator86
08-22-2007, 07:42 AM
If you want to run a gutted cat, definitely put a pipe through it. Having that empty cat shell will mess up the exhaust gas flow big time. The hollow chamber will allow it to expand too quickly.

I forgot to mention that...and about the way it sounds...i probably shouldnt have compared it with a fox body mustang lol im sure an fbody of any year would sound better

96BlkBrd
08-31-2007, 12:46 PM
Hey guys thanks sooo much for the advice..I was pulling out what little hair I have left trying to figure out what to do..Since rape is never a good thing and this car is a cop magnet, I'm gonna go with a set of high flow... You guys rock.