PDA

View Full Version : good places to get a car restored???

NJSPEEDER
08-15-2007, 05:17 PM
i was wondering where to look for ratings and rates for shops that do resto work?
some of my friends have cool cars that would sell for big bucks if restored properly but none of them know where to search for a good shop.

90FormulaWS6
08-15-2007, 06:40 PM
doesnt paul (hardcoreZ28 ) do resto????

JW
08-15-2007, 06:52 PM
I know Cody works at a shop that restores cars, he might be able to chime in here.

JW :D

JL8Jeff
08-15-2007, 07:57 PM
I don't know of any real registry for restoration shops, but Hemmings has a lot of ads and most of those shops are reputable. The real problem is what one place defines as a restoration vs another. When you look at 80% of the cars for sale at overinflated prices you can see how poorly done they really are but they still think they are worth the big money. Go to a car show and look at the subframe on most cars. Most of them were hit with a wire wheel and then painted gloss black leaving all the pock marks visible. A true quality restoration will level off and smooth out any uneven surfaces and I don't mean they fill it with bondo. Also look at all the panel alignment and that will also tell you about the quality of the restoration. Those are easy to spot things that can show the difference between a $25K car and a $50K car. The real cost is in the NOS parts and that has nothing to do with the restoration shop. I think there is a well known shop here in NJ in Hibernia or something like that. Out in PA is the Supercar Workshop but they are very, very expensive. I'll ask around some of the boards and see who seriously recommends some quality shops in our area.

BonzoHansen
08-15-2007, 08:45 PM
I've heard good things about these, but no 1st hand experience.

www.garybetsysautobody.com

CurtisMotion Restorations - Stephen Verfelt
908-534-4699 Lebanon, NJ

Search over at Team Camaro and Team Chevelle. There are a number of related threads. And some NOT to use.

Good resto guys are not cheap and have waiting lists.

bad64chevelle
08-20-2007, 11:26 AM

908-534-4699 Lebanon, NJ

Search over at Team Camaro and Team Chevelle. There are a number of related threads. And some NOT to use.

I have lately heard that gary betsy has had problems with workers and what not. I know he lost one of his best painters last year who is now trying to start his own business I believe. Ill get in touch with him and see if he is doing anything. Ive seen some of his work and its absolutely amazing.

camaro2you
08-20-2007, 01:28 PM
little ants customs, www.littleantscustoms.com.

WildBillyT
08-20-2007, 03:58 PM

908-534-4699 Lebanon, NJ

Yeah, CurtisMotion is who Jim (SCHOON at TC) used, his Z came out really well IMO. $45/hr labor rate there.

johnjzjz
08-20-2007, 08:20 PM
resto work is a looser for any shop that does the entire job and does not cut corners -- today its 25 thousand and you get 45 percent of what you wanted -- it just costs to much -- painters are wacko artists who want 100, thousand a year for 4 days a week and 8 hours maybe -- and the avarage guy who works for a living just cant do it -- 2000 hours or 8 months is an avarage in a body alone not counting parts or shop supplies -- buy a car that looks done its a lot cheaper even at the prices they ask today -- just my take being on both sides -- jz

Slo86Bird
08-20-2007, 08:26 PM
u can try my old boss...he mainly does sh!tstangs but he will do anything. the name of the place is Jennings Restorations in sussex/wantage nj. i can get u his number if u want it. he is a easy guy to deal with, little wierd but cool once u get to know him. he also has a 73? cuda for sale.

bad64chevelle
08-20-2007, 11:00 PM
u can try my old boss...he mainly does sh!tstangs but he will do anything. the name of the place is Jennings Restorations in sussex/wantage nj. i can get u his number if u want it. he is a easy guy to deal with, little wierd but cool once u get to know him. he also has a 73? cuda for sale.

Info on that Cuda for sale please. PM me though.

JSPERFORMANCE
08-21-2007, 08:41 AM
resto work is a looser for any shop that does the entire job and does not cut corners -- today its 25 thousand and you get 45 percent of what you wanted -- it just costs to much -- painters are wacko artists who want 100, thousand a year for 4 days a week and 8 hours maybe -- and the avarage guy who works for a living just cant do it -- 2000 hours or 8 months is an avarage in a body alone not counting parts or shop supplies -- buy a car that looks done its a lot cheaper even at the prices they ask today -- just my take being on both sides -- jz

:werd:

HardcoreZ28
08-23-2007, 07:21 AM
Sorry some of you guys feel resto and paint shops are a rip off. It's true that the average person can't do a lot of the work themselves however there are shops out there that won't rip you off. Obviously I'd love to plug my shop. Anytime someone needs resto work done feel free to call me or e-mail me. www.RPMRestoAndCustom.com

bad64chevelle
08-24-2007, 05:19 PM
I will say that paul does some amazing work, ive watched him at work, and seen his finished products and its #1 quality stuff.

Fast92RS
08-24-2007, 06:17 PM
Ive also seen some of Pauls work and it is outstanding.

SteveR
08-24-2007, 10:22 PM
Are we talking just in NJ? I know that Back In Time Auto near Henry Jackson's place in Cream Ridge is really good. I also have a number for a guy that does restos for really ultra rare cars that end up on Barrett-Jackson. Right now he's working on a one-of-one hand built Alpha Romeo race car.

zuuhlsT/A
09-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Try these guys in NY. Aint gonna be cheap though.
www.classicresto.com

jims69camaro
09-08-2007, 08:57 AM
Sorry some of you guys feel resto and paint shops are a rip off. It's true that the average person can't do a lot of the work themselves however there are shops out there that won't rip you off. Obviously I'd love to plug my shop. Anytime someone needs resto work done feel free to call me or e-mail me. www.RPMRestoAndCustom.com

i think what it is, is that people really don't know what goes into a complete restoration. it's not like you can call the local chevy dealer and get a fender, door skin or hood for an antique/classic car. the prices that some of the aftermarket companies charge is unbelievable, and that has to get factored into the final bill.

there is time involved - and if you want quality work, multiply that time by 10, which is what it takes to get it perfect. with my limited exposure to the industry, i've seen a whole lot more of replacement parts than repaired parts. that's how the body shops stay in business. that, and they are constantly battling with the insurance companies to give them what they need ($-wise) in order to get the job done with a profit.

did i mention that a good restoration will take time to complete? lots of time, especially if the damaged/worn part is not available. then you either have to fabricate a new one or piece together new and old to get the end result. i thought i would see a lot of metal bumping, but i rarely saw any hammers/dollies being used at all.

it's like anything else, really: you get what you pay for. if you want quality, it'll cost you. as to shops that only do restorations? i think they're all in southern california. a shop that only did restorations wouldn't last too long in this area - my opinion. they'd have to do some collision work to stay afloat. :shrug:

WildBillyT
09-08-2007, 09:26 AM
it's like anything else, really: you get what you pay for. if you want quality, it'll cost you. as to shops that only do restorations? i think they're all in southern california. a shop that only did restorations wouldn't last too long in this area - my opinion. they'd have to do some collision work to stay afloat. :shrug:

And to further prove your point, places in CA have to deal with CA cars- not the slop that we find around here that's totally rusted out. Paying for a resto is very expensive.