PDA

View Full Version : FIRE!

Syzygy
08-15-2007, 10:48 PM
i need to replace most if not all of my underhood wires, there was a fire behind the distributor because the previous owner swapped engines and didnt hook everything back up, anyway, i want to know the best or easiest way to do this, and where all the wres come through the firewall. thank you

this was originally an 84 5.0 5-speed, now its a non computer controlled 350, no a/c, no emission control, i dont want this car to be a wiring jungle anymore.

Mike
08-16-2007, 01:47 AM
i would get another wiring harness from a similar year / optioned car and before installing it strip out all the un-needed wires to make it as thin as possible, then run the needed ones in a nice manner

Syzygy
08-16-2007, 02:11 AM
i want easy, isnt there only like 10 wires i need for the setup i want? i dont feel like running wires to the back of the car, interior etc...

that and ive never done this before, i dont want to mess anything up.

BonzoHansen
08-16-2007, 07:26 AM
It all depends on what was damaged. Do it right or expect fire #2.

Got pics or the carnage?

Syzygy
08-16-2007, 11:18 AM
fire #2...HA! its been on fire 5 times or more, i just dont know when to call it quits, luckily the car is in great shape still and none of them burned the car down.

anyway, all of the wires that come out of the passenger side bundle are burnt about 3 feet from where they come through the firewall, this led me to believe i could cut them short and solder longer wires on them and reconnect them.

i didnt feel like putting in a new wiring harness because its only underhood stuff, and its a non computer controlled vehicle, i figured it would be easier to replace 10 wires then to rewire my car...or could i cut the wires that go to the back and rewire them into a new wiring harness?

also, ill get pics soon

BonzoHansen
08-16-2007, 02:24 PM
Aren't the pass side wires all ECM related? Oh, and HVAC?

Hit up Ted Gerlach. He might have a wiring harness for you.

Tru2Chevy
08-19-2007, 05:56 PM
Everything that comes through the passenger side (right by the fender) is ECM related. If you are no longer computer controlled, you can ditch all of them.

- Justin

camaro2you
08-20-2007, 02:04 PM
If you need any help let me know, i did that swap last year, now im going prostreet and im going to be building my own harness in the spring.

JW
08-22-2007, 03:49 PM
If you need any help let me know, i did that swap last year, now im going prostreet and im going to be building my own harness in the spring.

Cody, we need to hang out and do the brakes and line lock on the Trans Am. I am bored and need something to do to it.

JW :D

Syzygy
08-23-2007, 11:17 AM

i do need help, i just want to know which wires to keep, and which to throw out, and where in the firewall they come through....thus far, i know the wires coming through the passenger side are useless to me.

where exactly do the engine control wires and gauge wires come through?

also, on the drivers side next to the master cylinder those relays and what not, i dont need those do i?

thanks, Jeff.

camaro2you
08-24-2007, 07:12 PM
I dont think you need any of those relays maybe one or two of them, all of the wires that you need will come from the harness that comes out of the firewall on the drivers side near the brake booster assembly, for right now go under the dash on the passenger side and take now the plasic panel. Then look up there and there will be a silver case, that is the computer unbolt that bring it down disconnect it and do what you want with it cause its usless to you any more then take the kick panel out and take that hole harness out that runs outside of the car and the plugs that are left inside just wire tie them up and them put the panels back in. Now you can just pull that haress through the fender opening and take it out of the engine bay. If you need anymore help ill be glad to help. Cody

Syzygy
08-27-2007, 06:30 PM
i ripped everything pertaining to computer control out, now i just would like to know which wires go where, like green - coolant temperature sender.

there are i think 16 wires in the main harness, i can probably figure out 10 with my multimeter, its just alot easier if it were spelt out to me, thanks in advance.

BonzoHansen
08-27-2007, 07:40 PM
The haynes manual has the wiring diagrams in it. Go spend $14

camaro2you
08-28-2007, 07:12 PM
So your main harness coming out of the firewall on the drivers side is all cut?

If you want i can lay my harness out on the floor and take a picture of it for you.

Syzygy
08-28-2007, 08:06 PM
no no, the passenger harness is all cut, and the drivers side is not the best after about 2 feet of wire so i was going to cut it and solder longer wires onto the ends of them. i just needed to know where all the wires went to. i have the haynes manual already, but it's no help to me, pictures are no good for me (unless they are labeled of course) i just wanted a list. green - temp sensor etc... if someone knows i don't think its too hard. and thank you very much Cody, you've been such a help

camaro2you
08-28-2007, 08:19 PM
Well if they still have all of the factory ends on them it shouldn't be to hard to figure it all out, especially if you run it all out in the bay since its all cut to certain lengths, but if you want me to lay it out and label it for you i will. Cody

Edit, you can take out that passenger harness completely, you dont need anything from it anymore.

http://www.njfboa.org/forums/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l86/camaro2you/HPNX0080.jpg%5B/IMG%5D

http://www.njfboa.org/forums/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l86/camaro2you/HPNX0080.jpg%5B/IMG%5D

Syzygy
08-28-2007, 08:27 PM
the only problem with lying them all out is some of them are cut and the rest were in about 5 fires so i have 2 good feet of wire then a melted blob of calico plastic with copper hanging out, the previous owner didn't make this easy heh.

as i said, i can figure a few of them out, but there are a few that i havnt the slightest about.

camaro2you
08-28-2007, 08:28 PM
This is what my bay looked like, now its stripped down to nothing again, the cars getting tubbed and a 600hp 383 is going in.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l86/camaro2you/HPNX0080.jpg

camaro2you
08-28-2007, 08:30 PM
the only problem with lying them all out is some of them are cut and the rest were in about 5 fires so i have 2 good feet of wire then a melted blob of calico plastic with copper hanging out, the previous owner didn't make this easy heh.

as i said, i can figure a few of them out, but there are a few that i havnt the slightest about.

If you can tell me what you have and what you don't have i might be able to figure out which ones you are missing and where they go.

Syzygy
08-28-2007, 08:53 PM
i'm not missing any wires completely except the passenger side ones.

the drivers side wires are melted, but a good portion of them are still there, im just trying to reconnect them to where they need to go, i just want to know which wire is which, there are like 16-20 wires coming out of the firewall on the drivers side, i just want to know whats what.

im well aware i sound like a moron, im not sure how to make it clearer other than a pic, but my camera is busted. oh well