PDA

View Full Version : Erhm... help..?

TheBandit
08-22-2007, 01:54 PM
Ok picked up my 94 firebird a couple weeks ago and just went to put in my 7700mp.. got the harness adapter from bestbuy hooked everything up, and the speakers(subs?) midrange drivers whatever they are in the sail panels arent working. how do i go about hooking them up? because i dont think the wires that run off them are on the harness adapter i bought.. any help is appreciated

maroman88
08-23-2007, 08:47 AM
got the monsoon or bose systems or just the plain one?

TheBandit
08-23-2007, 01:45 PM
not a clue im guessing i have the regular one.. its a 94 formula

NightRydaSS
08-24-2007, 09:34 AM
if you have 6 speakers in the car you more then likely have the Monsoon system (or BOSE, i don't remember what yr they threw the Monsoons in), anyways, your beat unless you want to rewire the whole system. You can't just add a H/U into these cars (normally).

TheBandit
08-24-2007, 04:27 PM
damn it :( im new to the fourth gen scene, so sorry if these things were already covered.. but theres no way of wiring them in?.. i was thinking of runnign them off an amp out of one of my preouts

SamhainZ28
08-24-2007, 06:22 PM
if you need any help just let me know i'd be glad to help

TheBandit
08-24-2007, 10:49 PM
i may take you up on that offer.. i have an amp and everything.. it would be nice to have some help to run the wiring and everything but i'll definitly let you know

NightRydaSS
08-25-2007, 08:50 AM
damn it :( im new to the fourth gen scene, so sorry if these things were already covered.. but theres no way of wiring them in?.. i was thinking of runnign them off an amp out of one of my preouts

Well you can rig them, but it is seriously not recomended. An aftermatket H/U is not designed to run anymore then 4 speakers without an amp. Normal RMS is about 18 watts per channel. H/U have 4 channels. If you hook up 2 speakers to one channel your deviding the RMS. So you end up with 9 watts. That isn't good b/c ur liable to blow the speakers (your more likley to blow a speaker by under-driving it then over-driving it), also, you're over driving the H/U which will make it run hot and possibly fail.

The right way to do it is hookup a 4-channel amp to your H/U and run you 4 rear speakers off the 2 rear channels of your amp. Amp's are designed to run at 2ohms so you won't have any issues (just make sure the amp you get has an internal cooling fan...trust me).

TheBandit
08-25-2007, 11:35 AM
underdriving a speaker won't hurt it unless your pushing your amp/headunit to its limit and clipping than it ill hurt your speaker, but if you have a 300watt amp lets say and you have the gain down to run only 100 for speakers and the speakers are rated for 200, you won't hurt them :P but whats the impendence of these speakers, you can run them at different configurations but 2 is probably the best

i just wanted to clarify to underpowering thing im not trying to pick a fight and start an argument its just been debated so many times and everything underpowering doesnt kill speakers clipping the signal does :) but thanks for the help, i realize bridging speakers onto 1 channel onto a headunit is a terrible idea, probably kill the headunit that why i suggested i use the amp

deadtrend1
08-25-2007, 06:20 PM
just a question. The blue wire out of the headunit is hooked up to turn the factory "AMP" on right?

I did that in my friends ram once. Took me a little bit to find out why no sound came out of his speakers...

TheBandit
08-25-2007, 07:43 PM
yeah it is.. i have sound in the speakers, just those midbass ones in teh sail panels.. which i may just run an amp and run them off of it with the gains set real low to match my other speakers.. everntually i will get some nice component speakers and tweets and everything to put in the car, but ive had no radio for like 4 days and its driving absolutely crazy

Tru2Chevy
08-25-2007, 08:06 PM
If the amp you have is a 4 channel, I would just wire it up to have the aftermarket amp run the front speakers and the speakers in the sail panels, and remove the rears for weight reduction. They are practically worthless anyway....

- Justin

NightRydaSS
08-26-2007, 08:57 AM
If the amp you have is a 4 channel, I would just wire it up to have the aftermarket amp run the front speakers and the speakers in the sail panels, and remove the rears for weight reduction. They are practically worthless anyway....

- Justin

tru, in reality you don't hear the rear ones (in the hatch) anyway. However, i only recomend removing them if you install a custom system. I say this b/c the ones in the sail panel are free air subs, not normal speakers. It won't sound right b/c u will only have full range speakers in the front and mid air subs in the middle. The monsoon system uses the rear speakers in the hatch area to even out the sound.

Here is what i did: I put components up front, and full range (4-way) speakers in the middle and took the rear hatch ones out. this all runs to a 4-channel amp and i have a sub in the back w/ its own amp. You can't even tell i don't have speakers in the hatch.

i have a set of speakers im going to install in the hatch area b/c they have been sitting in the garage for over 2 yrs. Im installing them "just b/c", i prob wont notice them much.

And yes; the blue wire coming off of the headunit is the remote wire that runs to the remote port on the amp. that is how the H/U tells the amp when to trun on and off.

TheBandit
08-26-2007, 10:51 AM
yeah i wouldnt take out the rear speakers unless i got new component speakers, just like you said having full range and midbass speakers wont sound very good. i just wanted something for now because not having a radio in my car drives me crazy

zuuhlsT/A
09-02-2007, 03:56 PM
I had installed a Sony HU in my 95 T/A and all the speakers worked. You sure you got the right harness?:?:

TheBandit
09-11-2007, 05:07 PM
positive they only make one for this year car? it cant be anything with the headunit can it? i went to bestbuy for it cause it the last resort.. but they only carry one that fits a 94 firebird so i assumed that was it

slasherbarb
09-16-2007, 09:54 PM
I had installed a Sony HU in my 95 T/A and all the speakers worked. You sure you got the right harness?:?:they only make on for 82-present GM cars...mine also work as well and i have an aftermarket Pioneer H/U...there is a wire in the stock wiring harness that activates the amp so that the speakers get power...it could be either the speakers are done or that there is something wrong with the wiring from the amp to the speakers...or you don't have a monsoon/bose system...

TheBandit
09-17-2007, 07:57 PM
im not sure what i have.. but i have the speakers in the doors with the tweets the midrange ones in the sail panels and the ones in the hatch. everything plays except for the midrange speakers, so im thinking there not getting power, whats the color of the wire that powers them? maybe i got a bum wiring harness

SupermanX24
09-23-2007, 05:21 PM
Well you can rig them, but it is seriously not recomended. An aftermatket H/U is not designed to run anymore then 4 speakers without an amp. Normal RMS is about 18 watts per channel. H/U have 4 channels. If you hook up 2 speakers to one channel your deviding the RMS. So you end up with 9 watts. That isn't good b/c ur liable to blow the speakers (your more likley to blow a speaker by under-driving it then over-driving it), also, you're over driving the H/U which will make it run hot and possibly fail.

The right way to do it is hookup a 4-channel amp to your H/U and run you 4 rear speakers off the 2 rear channels of your amp. Amp's are designed to run at 2ohms so you won't have any issues (just make sure the amp you get has an internal cooling fan...trust me).

explains why my head unit has been cutting out at high volumes lately...I just thought the radio didn't like Atreyu...

sam, if you want I can pass by one of these days and we can compare yours to mine. lol

TheBandit
09-23-2007, 07:05 PM
hey if you want.. i tried hooking it up 2 times a few weeks ago, and it didnt work so i never tried again.. by ive had enough of the radio its driving me insane. i cant see how everybody gets a harness and it just works, but when i buy mine it doesnt..