PDA

View Full Version : new CAI idea

maroman88
08-23-2007, 07:33 PM
i was thinkin of gettin rid of my TPI air box, and building a CAI box where the charcoal canister was, and since my high beams dont work, removing the bulb and the other stuff and having kind of a ram air to a big cone filter.

im goin to use a TPI firebird intake elbow and turn it upside down so it goes towards the driver side.

i have to extend the MAF wires to the end of that

then i want to make a nice sheet metal L shaped box to box off that corner of the engine bay and install the cone filter in there.

i already have a nice size filter and aluminum pipe from my moms GP that got wrecked so all i need is the rubber elbow and some sheet metal :)

ar0ck
08-23-2007, 08:05 PM
You could probably use an LT1 style elbow on your car to have that work and it'll take a lot less work flipping things upside down. I'm pretty sure our throttle bodies are pretty much the same and you would already have an end for your MAF to connect then you could just go to home-depot and grab some rubber PCV couplers and then go buy a U-Build it intake pipe from PepBoys/Autozone and have a nice peice going to just behind your headlights. thats how I used to have it.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b9/Arock301/My%20Camaro/new25001copy.jpg

thats the best picture I have of it. I ditched it for a real K&N FIPK and a Trick-Flow hard intake elbow when I went heads & cam.

SamhainZ28
08-23-2007, 08:43 PM
^ that is the coolest picture ever hah

BonzoHansen
08-23-2007, 09:22 PM
IIRC, you need high beams for inspection.

maroman88
08-24-2007, 08:45 AM
its for the 88 and im goin with the collectors sticker next time im due. they never worked right once i put the xennons in and then when i was changing the ignition switch the metal bar fell out anyway lol

alex, that looks pretty good as well. it doesnt really matter which way i go, just want something more custom lookin then a regular TPI box

maroman88
08-24-2007, 02:42 PM
rough draft, i borrowed the elbow and bought a 3" piece of 90* PVC, gotta love home depot performance. i gotta make a bracket to support the bottom of the filter

The Fixer
08-24-2007, 09:21 PM
Mike, get 3" PVC from the electrical section, not the plumbing section. It's a large piece, with a nice smooth bend and a length of tubing on each side.

Edit - Check my thread out here - http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21196 with some pics of the one I made for the Monte.

maroman88
08-25-2007, 12:13 AM
ive got it right where i want it to sit, that piece works great for your location tho

the *** dyno likes it :)

Camvill
08-25-2007, 01:10 AM
alex i want that painted on my hood and then i will put a monster engine inside and everyone will think its a lt1 :-)

njfastestcamaro
08-31-2007, 11:41 AM
You could probably use an LT1 style elbow on your car to have that work and it'll take a lot less work flipping things upside down. I'm pretty sure our throttle bodies are pretty much the same and you would already have an end for your MAF to connect then you could just go to home-depot and grab some rubber PCV couplers and then go buy a U-Build it intake pipe from PepBoys/Autozone and have a nice peice going to just behind your headlights. thats how I used to have it.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b9/Arock301/My%20Camaro/new25001copy.jpg

thats the best picture I have of it. I ditched it for a real K&N FIPK and a Trick-Flow hard intake elbow when I went heads & cam.

Is that a clear hood

maroman88
08-31-2007, 11:37 PM
nope, fancy camera work from alex lol

quasar34
09-01-2007, 04:47 PM
its actually both camera work and photoshop..take one pic with the hood shut, then one with it open without moving the camera.. paste the hood ontop of the pic with the engine bay showing then change the opacity level of the hood so its transparent.. pretty cool concept (im a photoshop guru)

jims69camaro
09-06-2007, 12:51 PM
they used to do this back in the '80s, with the tube running right from the high beam headlight opening to the carb housing (round filter inside, natch). pretty cool setup. since you are going to make a box for it, to close it off from the engine bay, i would suggest cutting a half moon into the side of it for the pipe to lay on, thereby supporting the weight of the filter. of course, you will want to gasket that opening, along with the edge that fits against the hood. pretty nifty idea, though. beats $300 and change for a "custom" CAI from Jegs and Summit.