PDA

View Full Version : How to remove wiper arm on 89 z28

magisnyc
08-23-2007, 08:08 PM
Seems like a simple thing and I feel pretty stupid for asking, but I cannot get the wiper arm off my 89 camaro. I see the little "tab" on the end but even with that opened, I can't get the arm to even budge.

Any tips?

Pro90rscam
08-23-2007, 08:52 PM
I had the same problem with trying to get mine off my 90' Camaro and with the tab out it would not come off. I gently tried prying it off and this did not work, then I used a pneumatic grinder with a cut off wheel and started to cut from the top down just before you get to the spline where arm attaches and then with a flathead screwdriver insert the tip into where you cut and this will split the metal of the arm and it pops right off and the exposed spline is fine. I applied a little lithium grease to the wiper spline and when I installed a new wiper,it went right on. Hope this helps you out. Good luck!

magisnyc
08-25-2007, 08:23 AM
That would work but were you able to reuse the arm after cutting? I need to sell the wipers and don't want to wreck them trying to take it off.

Thanks for the reply.

edpontiac91
08-25-2007, 09:55 AM
You need to get a screw driver under the bottom lip(where it fits on the shaft), and a small block of wood. Use the wood under the screw driver, and press upward(on the edge of the wiper arm) or twist the blade end, and it should wiggle the arm off. :rofl:

Pro90rscam
08-25-2007, 04:40 PM
I did not reuse them because I was putting on brand new ones. That other idea with the screwdiver and block of wood sounds good. I tried this also and that one side was so stubborn I had enough and cut it off. Just be careful when you try this method,because when putting pressure to the wiper arm to pry it off the screwdriver can slip if the arm is on there that tight. Good luck!