PDA

View Full Version : 4th-Gen Remote Locks/Trunk Questions

The Fixer
09-05-2007, 11:21 AM
Hey all,
I'm interested in adapting a keyless entry/remote trunk opener to my '88 Monte, using GM parts. Does anyone know if the 4th-gens use a separate receiver and relays for the keyless entry system, or is it integrated into the BCM? Anyone got a wiring diagram to help me figure it out?

BonzoHansen
09-05-2007, 11:43 AM
Ask me again next spring, I plan on figuring that out over the winter. Some guys on pro-touring have utilized 4th gen BCMs.

ins0mnia24
09-05-2007, 04:53 PM
I did it already on a friend of mines 1997 F1 Camaro that only had power doors and locks and since it was an F1 he wanted to try and keep it 100% original oem keyless entry and alarm..

1996- 2002's the Alarm and keyless entry is part of the BCM so it requires a new bcm and keyless entry remote..
1993- 1995 the keyless entry works off of a Keyless entry remote receiver and the keyless remote...

for 96 and up all it requires is swap out the bcm , get a key entry remote,

Warning!!! The BCM will automatically program to the resistance of the ignition key resistor during the 1st time the ignition switch is turned to the RUN position
And this process can only be performed once per replacement BCM.
So you need to either buy a brand new BCM, Find a used BCM from a car that has the same Key Resistor resistance or switch the resistor on your existing key..

After you install the new BCM it is as simple as Turning the key to Run.
Start the car and verify the BCM system operation by watching the Security light if it comes on for 5 seconds then goes out.
The BCM is programed...

Then to program the Keyless entry..
1. Turn Ignition to RUN
Turn Ignition to OFF
Remove Radio fuse No. 17 ( 15 amp )

2. Turn ignition switch OFF to Run 3 times within 5 Seconds leaving ignition switch in ON position.
BCM will indicate programing sequence by activating Hatch release, Locking doors, Then Unlocking Doors.

3. Press and hold both the Lock and Unlock on the Keyless entry transmitter for 15 seconds
The Doors will Lock, and Unlock, then the hatch release will activate to verify the transmitter has been programed and reconized by the BCM..

These are the part numbers for the items needed for specific year cars.
Theft Module 93-95 gm part #16215659
Key fob Transmitter 93-95 #15725423
Key fob Transmitter w/o anti theft 96-98 #16245103
Key fob Transmitter with Anti theft 96-02 #16245100
Keyless entry remote receiver 94-95 #10273333
Body Control Module (BCM) (w/keyless entry receiver) 96 #16243951
Body Control Module (BCM) (w/ keyless entry receiver) 97-02 #9353691
Body Control Module (BCM) ( w/o Keyless entry ) 97-02 #09353681

BonzoHansen
09-05-2007, 06:42 PM
"Warning!!! The BCM will automatically program to the resistance of the ignition key resistor during the 1st time the ignition switch is turned to the RUN position
And this process can only be performed once per replacement BCM. "

So, for a retrofit, if you aren't using a vats key, how does one get around this?

The Fixer
09-06-2007, 09:38 AM
insomnia, great post, thanx for the info! Looks like I'll have to start hunting for someone chopping up a '93-'95 Camaro to make my life easier then.

And Bonzo, that's a great question too. I wonder if you could get around it by putting a resistor inline that matches up with the VATS key resistance and fooling the BCM into thinking the key is always in the ignition?

ins0mnia24
09-09-2007, 09:04 PM
You would actually need to search for a 94-95 F-body because keyless entry wasn't available on 1993 F-bodies..
If you will be searching in junk yards and ect for donor parts.. you would want to look at the rpo sheet Remote keyless entry is Rpo code AU0

If you do some research I am sure you will find the same keyless entry receiver in other Gm cars because the 97-02 BCM's used in F-bodies are also used in the Monte Carlo and ect..

In regards to using 97-02 BCM's and trying to trick the Vats
I know the Vats reads the Resistor on the key from a strip of Copper or whatever..
The problem I see with this is if you some how attach the resistor to the strip in order to fool the Bcm ..
That Contact with the strip is what enables the Chimes that ring when you leave your keys in the ignition, headlights on or Door left open when the ignition is on ect..
That actual Chime buzzer is part of the 97-02 BCM ..
So by doing that you may have a constant ringing sound..

NJSPEEDER
09-09-2007, 11:28 PM
"Warning!!! The BCM will automatically program to the resistance of the ignition key resistor during the 1st time the ignition switch is turned to the RUN position
And this process can only be performed once per replacement BCM. "

So, for a retrofit, if you aren't using a vats key, how does one get around this?

figuring there has to be an in and out for the BCM to detect the ohms of resistance on the key, i woudl think you coudl just run the wires from each side into each other upon initial start up. the BCM woudl theoretically program itself for 0 resistance and that is all it would look for in the vats pins from then on.

sound logical or did i try to make it too simple?i am not a wiring guy, jsut seemed like a logical answer.

BonzoHansen
09-09-2007, 11:57 PM
I think I'm using the 4th gen column too, LOL

Featherburner
09-11-2007, 06:47 PM
You would actually need to search for a 94-95 F-body because keyless entry wasn't available on 1993 F-bodies..

I don't think the 93 Chevy F-body had keyless entry but, I know the Pontiac F-body came with keyless entry. My Firehawk has it from the factory.