PDA

View Full Version : Gas smell and loss of mileage

Oddball
09-24-2007, 06:49 PM
I think i researched my gas smell some time ago but now mileage has taken a hit and the car is not as strong as it used to be. I remembered someone saying the smell could be coming from the carb (as well as the gas tank itself).

I don't have the tools, knowledge, or time to troubleshoot the carb myself. Do you know of any shops in South Jersey where I can take it that have someone old enough to know carbs? Worst case, how much is a decent carb rebuild?

Tru2Chevy
09-24-2007, 06:59 PM
I dunno what would be close to you in South Jersey, but JS Performance is only about a 40 minute ride from Blackwood.

- Justin

Icemansghost
09-24-2007, 07:38 PM
Burlington Carburetor - more info »
Burlington, NJ
(609) 387-3170

JSPERFORMANCE
09-24-2007, 09:15 PM
Could have a float stuck in the carb.. Really need to check it out to tell for sure..

cheppibear
10-22-2007, 09:17 PM
Could have a float stuck in the carb.. Really need to check it out to tell for sure..

Hello, not sure if this has been resolved as I write this but the gas smell usually comes from the vapor canister (leak or crack), or on the LG4 carb'd models there is a purge canister (little black thing with 4 vacuum lines) near the front of the carb. Also check your PVC since that helps create the vacuum for the purge system.

THanks

JSPERFORMANCE
10-23-2007, 07:13 AM
the PVC has nothing to do with the canister purge, they are separate systems. Also if the canister had a crack in it he would get the gas smell but mileage would not be drastically affected as he previously stated

cheppibear
10-24-2007, 12:08 AM
the PVC has nothing to do with the canister purge, they are separate systems. Also if the canister had a crack in it he would get the gas smell but mileage would not be drastically affected as he previously stated

Agree that they are separate systems for most applications but on the LG4 carbed engines the vapor fumes flow from the vapor canister into the "canister control valve" (some folks call it the "purge" valve) and then to the carb.

The PVC valve vacuum in this application flows to the carb and to the canister control valve (then also flowing to the carb). When my purge valve went bad years back I had the same symptoms, replaced the valve and all was well.

Not sure if this application is the same.

Jersey_TA
10-24-2007, 03:32 AM
This happend to my 86 chevy truck. I had a friend rebuild the carb and bam....it's back to normal :)

Oddball
04-20-2012, 03:06 PM
Oh man I love the internet. I replaced the carb two years ago and had the lady in storage over the past 18 months (winter storage than a new job meant no driving her into Philly). Just got her out and there was the distinctive smell of gas. Did an internet search and found my old post. I forgot about this board (sorry guys).

Time to start posting again as project IROC Repatriot begins!!! So if you see a red IROC driving around Gloucester Township and South Jersey in BAD need of a paint job please wave!