PDA

View Full Version : exaust suggestions

mtg6486
09-25-2007, 06:18 PM
ive got a 98 ta with long tube headers, no cats and an slp loud mouth so basically a straight through exhaust. this thing is pretty loud and has some raspy ness to it that i would like to clean up along with some of the volume because e-town said its just too loud and they don't consider it to be a muffler. my question is should i replace the exhaust with another after market one or weld in a new resonator tube/muffler that could clean up some of it?
i would prefer to weld in resonator like the loudmouth 2 or something along those lines any suggestions would be appreciated

NJSPEEDER
09-25-2007, 06:33 PM
mufflex, 3.5 or 4, with a spintech muffler.

it wil sound pretty sweet.

Grifter
09-25-2007, 06:38 PM
Spintech's sound awesome but I have heard of them robbing some power on high HP cars.

I actually just got my car back from Mufflex.
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=787082

mtg6486
09-25-2007, 08:02 PM
im lookin to keep the dual tips out back. what about my resonator idea?

Tru2Chevy
09-25-2007, 08:12 PM
Well your loudmouth already has a resonator.....adding a different one won't really change anything.

You can get a mufflex catback that still has the two tips out the rear if you want.

- Justin

Slo86Bird
09-25-2007, 10:13 PM
gmmg chambered exhaust.

JSPERFORMANCE
09-26-2007, 12:57 AM
Damn near all of the crossflow style mufflers will rob hp in high hp engines. You could try a bullet muffler in place of the "resonator" something like a dynomax or a moroso spiral flow. Or you could go with the Mufflex 3.5 or 4" exhaust which flows like crazy.

Rich189
09-26-2007, 03:51 AM
id just replace your resonator with a magnaflow bullet style or a moroso spiral flow

Pampered-Z
09-26-2007, 08:28 AM
Add resonators after the over axle pipe. Maybe Rich189 can post pics of his system. It's a very nice setup and I think he and change the config and sound easily.

I run the Mufflex 4" W/spintech single out. Like JS already said any muffler will take away some HP, but the big mufflex is heavy! I think the weight may have a bit to do with robing power as well!

I've heard the 3.5" with the dual outs and it sounds great on an LS1 car. The spintech is quieter down in the lower RPMs and far deeper then the loud mouth, but it the upper RPMs the system is still fairly loud!

Just beware that the Mufflex system is not cheap. If you get it you are far better off having them install it. It's a tight fit and having them custom fit it there will save you allot of headaces with clearance. Also the 3.5" fits a bit better then the 4" with the 4" you may need to to buy a Panhard rod relocation kit from BMR. And if you car is lower the over the axle tube can be real tight too..

DaSkinnyGuy
09-26-2007, 02:53 PM
If you want your car to be street legal loud. First buy or find someone with a decibal meter and see if your car is under 95db. Second add a cat cause your in NJ you wont pass inspection and can lower the sound enough. If you dont like the SLP raspy sound buy a GMMG Chamberred exhaust. Its much deeper and is plenty loud. Ask 35thlscamaro he has this setup. If you dont want to spend the money get a dynomax bullet muffler.

Grifter
09-28-2007, 09:48 AM
im lookin to keep the dual tips out back. what about my resonator idea?

I wanted the single dumped tip. Mufflex built the system as per my instructions. You can get it bent/routed anyway you want.

Grifter
09-28-2007, 09:51 AM
Just beware that the Mufflex system is not cheap. If you get it you are far better off having them install it.

At first I thought the same thing. Then when I got the car back from Mufflex and got it on the lift at my job and saw how good of a job they did, they're prices aren't bad at all. Considering you can get a new Borla or Corsa CATBACK for about $8-900. I got a totally custom, built from the ground up system that will fit better then any bolt-on exhaust for around the same price WITH labor.

Well worth it and it sounds sick.

Predator86
09-28-2007, 04:11 PM
gmmg chambered exhaust.

does anyone know if they make a kit for the thirdgens?...im looking for a replacement to my flowmaster and i heard theyre pretty sick

Grifter
09-28-2007, 06:57 PM
does anyone know if they make a kit for the thirdgens?...im looking for a replacement to my flowmaster and i heard theyre pretty sick

You can just buy chambered mufflers and have the rest done by an exhaust shop.

Predator86
09-29-2007, 10:42 AM
You can just buy chambered mufflers and have the rest done by an exhaust shop.

ya thats what i thought....damn

Tru2Chevy
09-29-2007, 05:25 PM

GMMG kits are advertised as fitting 82-02 F-bodies. There is very little difference in cat-backs for all those years besides where the I-pipe attaches to the cat.

- Justin