PDA

View Full Version : header setup for 96 z28

nj96z28
09-28-2007, 09:06 PM
im looking into getting headers for my z28 , ive picked pacesetter lt's ... what else do i need other than just the headers... my car has factory dual cats and magnaflow cat back 3"

ar0ck
09-28-2007, 09:21 PM
I'm assuming you got there y-pipe too? I liked the pacesetters as long as they are coated. They fit perfectly and they do the job! I would personally go over to a GM Dealership and pick up a set of new 02 sensors if yours are original. Also you'll need a pair of 24" 02 extensions you can get from Summit for a few bucks. Also if you haven't pick up a set of Stage 8 locking bolts or ARP bolts to use. The ones in the box are decent I think. Other then that you are pretty much set their gaskets they provide are pretty good too.

nj96z28
09-28-2007, 10:15 PM
I'm assuming you got there y-pipe too? I liked the pacesetters as long as they are coated. They fit perfectly and they do the job! I would personally go over to a GM Dealership and pick up a set of new 02 sensors if yours are original. Also you'll need a pair of 24" 02 extensions you can get from Summit for a few bucks. Also if you haven't pick up a set of Stage 8 locking bolts or ARP bolts to use. The ones in the box are decent I think. Other then that you are pretty much set their gaskets they provide are pretty good too.

i havent actually bought anything yet, im just trying to get a grasp on what ill need when i finally am financially able to do the headers :)

JL8Jeff
09-28-2007, 11:38 PM
Get the Pacesetter headers, their y-pipe, some good gaskets, some good header bolts, some Pypes 3" compact cats and some O2 sims and you'll be "legal" and pass emissions. In the end it will probably cost around $800 to do the install yourself with all the parts.

j0n
09-28-2007, 11:45 PM
Get the Pacesetter headers, their y-pipe, some good gaskets, some good header bolts, some Pypes 3" compact cats and some O2 sims and you'll be "legal" and pass emissions. In the end it will probably cost around $800 to do the install yourself with all the parts.

I ran the pacesetter non-emissions longtubes with offroad y-pipe, arp header bolts, two 24" o2 extenstions, new o2s, and the gaskets that came with it(pacesetter included high-quality copper gaskets when i bought my set).

Jeff has a good idea with the cats as it cost me $150 to get an inspection sticker on the car and if i had ever gotten pulled over and had a cop look under the car, that $150 would have gone right in the trash as he ripped the sticker off my window. I'd say $800 is a good estimate

nj96z28
09-29-2007, 12:13 AM
I ran the pacesetter non-emissions longtubes with offroad y-pipe, arp header bolts, two 24" o2 extenstions, new o2s, and the gaskets that came with it(pacesetter included high-quality copper gaskets when i bought my set).

Jeff has a good idea with the cats as it cost me $150 to get an inspection sticker on the car and if i had ever gotten pulled over and had a cop look under the car, that $150 would have gone right in the trash as he ripped the sticker off my window. I'd say $800 is a good estimate

LOL there will be no self install here i do carpet install/cleaning... i dont have the tools for anything but minor shizzle

nj96z28
09-29-2007, 12:16 AM
LOL there will be no self install here i do carpet install/cleaning... i dont have the tools for anything but minor shizzle

lol i got me a good spot , standard fees and v8 friendly:twisted:

njcamaroz2895
10-09-2007, 07:01 PM
make sure you use stage 8 locking bolts and copper header gaskets, i have pacesetters and stock bolts find away to loosten up!!!!!!!!!!!

Batman
10-10-2007, 06:37 AM
What are your plans for the car? I wouldn't buy anything before I had a plan in my head. If you aren't going to do internals you don't need longtubes, and with the crunch on Emissions you should be careful with what you get for a daily driver. Rumor has it in January NY, NJ and CT are going to get even tougher and one of the things on their list is relocation of catalytic converters (I looked through the NYS Inspectors guide personally) Right now the "grandfathering" goes back to OBD I cars, but if you have OBD II they are going to crunch down on it. If you move them from the stock position at all your car will fail, which means no longtubes. There used to be a gray area you could work in but they are closing the loop holes. Whatever you get I would at least get CATS but I would highly suggest going with shorties if you aren't building something big. Also use Percy's total seal gaskets, had mine off more then a dozen times and they still seal right up!

deadtrend1
10-10-2007, 07:27 AM
get the thunderracing OTVC plug wire set. I didnt at first and melted a plug wire a few weeks later...

BTW, I have rear O2 sims if your interested...pm me