PDA

View Full Version : Headlights and int lights

89CamaroRS
10-09-2007, 02:26 PM
Last night my headlights, dash and interior lights all just randomly shut off while i was driving home from work. I immediately dismissed it as a fuse, but today i got into the fuse box and all fuses are intact. Is there a second fuse box in 3rd gen camaros other than the one under the driver's dash (1989 RS)? Any other troubleshooting suggestions?

bubba428
10-09-2007, 02:31 PM
I had the same thing happen on my 86....pull and check EVERY fuse

89CamaroRS
10-09-2007, 02:38 PM
I had the same thing happen on my 86....pull and check EVERY fuse

Done. Every fuse appears to be intact. Do u happen to know that the abbreviation is on the headlight fuse itself? ACC? I'll tryin jumping it.

Tru2Chevy
10-09-2007, 04:19 PM
ACC = accessory, shouldn't be that one. It's been so long since I've done anything in a 3rd gen fuse box that I don't remember what it is.

A Haynes or Chilton's should tell you...if you don't have one, I have both.

- Justin

deadtrend1
10-09-2007, 04:36 PM
switch.

headlights arent on the same fuse as the courtesy and marker lights

89CamaroRS
10-09-2007, 05:08 PM
switch.

headlights arent on the same fuse as the courtesy and marker lights

None of the interior lights are working either. Dome, kickpanels, consol, dash, nothing. Could a bad headlight switch really cause that?

maroman88
10-09-2007, 05:30 PM
check the headlight harness? last time that happen to me it ended up being the battery wire goin to the starter came loose, but of course the car didnt run either lol

89CamaroRS
10-09-2007, 06:48 PM
check the headlight harness? last time that happen to me it ended up being the battery wire goin to the starter came loose, but of course the car didnt run either lol

actually, that makes some sense. I kinda threw a lot of that wiring together quickly(with every intention of going back and doing it right) because i needed all weather transportation (only other vehicle is a honda sabre).

Check my theory: If one of the fusable link wires that come off main hot starter post has come loose, it would cut the power supply to everything in the interior and headlights. ....but i still have ignition, wouldn't that also be dead?

camaro2you
10-09-2007, 07:23 PM
actually, that makes some sense. I kinda threw a lot of that wiring together quickly(with every intention of going back and doing it right) because i needed all weather transportation (only other vehicle is a honda sabre).

Check my theory: If one of the fusable link wires that come off main hot starter post has come loose, it would cut the power supply to everything in the interior and headlights. ....but i still have ignition, wouldn't that also be dead?

Im thinking its one of the fusible links going down to the starter.

89CamaroRS
10-09-2007, 09:30 PM
Im thinking its one of the fusible links going down to the starter.

That's the objective tomorrow.

As you all can probably tell, i know jack**** about wiring. How crucial is it that those wires have fusible links? If they are indeed crucial, can i substitute an in-line fuse for them?

Slo86Bird
10-09-2007, 10:48 PM
i had this like 3 weeks ago with the bird i had wired the headlight motors together so the both go up cuz i had a bad wire to one of them...it was a fuse tho, no dash, interior or lights in general working....get a tester for the fuses cuz mine looked fine but i know i didnt mess anything else up so just give that a shot b4 u take apart wires n *****

BonzoHansen
10-10-2007, 08:10 AM
Check the main links. I still think that was your other issue.

camaro2you
10-10-2007, 03:08 PM
That's the objective tomorrow.

As you all can probably tell, i know jack**** about wiring. How crucial is it that those wires have fusible links? If they are indeed crucial, can i substitute an in-line fuse for them?

They are there basically for saftey, just go down to advance and pick up what they call fusible linke wire, thats what i used to fix my harness before i pulled it out.

89CamaroRS
10-10-2007, 11:03 PM
Problem solved. It did end up being the fusible link at the starter. Picked up a new one at napa, wired it up and the lights all came back on.

Thx a lot to all who lended their knowledge. Without this board i wouldn't probably junked the car by now, lol.

BonzoHansen
10-11-2007, 07:05 AM
I bet your ignition switch works now, LOL

Tru2Chevy
10-11-2007, 04:37 PM
I bet your ignition switch works now, LOL

To test it he'd have to undo all his cool wiring. There is a nifty switch on the console for the fuel pump, and a push button starter!

- Justin

89CamaroRS
10-11-2007, 06:24 PM
To test it he'd have to undo all his cool wiring. There is a nifty switch on the console for the fuel pump, and a push button starter!

- Justin

So what's that make the score justin? Your car still dead 5 years after u started it, my car fully converted and on the road in 5 months? You leave my cool wiring alone, lol.

Tru2Chevy
10-13-2007, 12:35 AM
So what's that make the score justin? Your car still dead 5 years after u started it, my car fully converted and on the road in 5 months? You leave my cool wiring alone, lol.

It hasn't quite been 4.5 years yet....and I have way more work into mine than you do in yours :razz:

....besides, we all know that I'm a slacker.

- Justin