PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Windows

PolarBear
10-17-2007, 11:16 AM
Who else here works in IT and HATES Windows? It is the small that that really bothers me..... :evil:

foff667
10-17-2007, 11:42 AM
Our software is built around windows so I can't necessarily hate it :D

Untamed
10-17-2007, 12:11 PM
I work for a company that designs solutions using Microsoft products, so I gotta wave the blue flag.

ryanfx
10-17-2007, 12:22 PM
that's why in my group @ the FAA we use Gentoo :)

shane27
10-17-2007, 01:05 PM
its not great but i would rather use it then macOS any day. and im to lazy to learn how to use linux.

79CamaroDiva
10-17-2007, 04:02 PM
absolutely despise it... macOS ftw.. especially the new one coming out this month :drool:

Tru2Chevy
10-17-2007, 04:47 PM
absolutely despise it... macOS ftw.. especially the new one coming out this month :drool:

I know - I can't wait A friend is getting a copy for $10 since his parents just got a new MacBook :D )

Windows XP and 2k @ home
Redhat @ work
Mac OS on the Powerbook G4

When the computer @ home gets upgraded, that will prolly get Ubuntu in addition to XP.

- Justin

MonmouthCtyAntz
10-17-2007, 07:56 PM
Just fine here

GP99GT
10-17-2007, 07:58 PM
i like beer

SteveR
10-17-2007, 08:00 PM
I cant stand Microsoft, I use only because everything I have runs one it. If I had the $$ I'd rebuy all the software and a MAC.

79CamaroDiva
10-17-2007, 08:05 PM
I cant stand Microsoft, I use only because everything I have runs one it. If I had the $$ I'd rebuy all the software and a MAC.

i dont wanna ever hear any more 'stupid mac' comments from you buddy...

transamws686
10-17-2007, 11:24 PM
Windows works, xp that is, vista on the other hand, no comment.

SteveR
10-18-2007, 01:28 AM
i dont wanna ever hear any more 'stupid mac' comments from you buddy...

Just because your computer is smarter than me doesnt mean I cant call it stupid :p

Frosty
10-18-2007, 06:30 AM
Windows works, xp that is, vista on the other hand, no comment.

:werd:

MonmouthCtyAntz
10-18-2007, 08:20 AM
I LIKE TO WATCH WAREWOLF MOVIES!

PolarBear
10-18-2007, 12:10 PM
My intention was to find out from people that work in the I.T. industry if they hate Windows as much as I do. Windows has so many problems from the management standpoint, it is all the little stuff that adds up and kills me. 95% of regular users wont be bothered by the stupid stuff like it bothers me. Things like group policy not applying properly or when Terminal services is not allowing a person to log onto a server remotely but you have them in the proper "built in" group. I get so frustrated with this BS.
As an operating system from the users standpoint it isnt that bad. I Have Vista at home and it changed a lot from traditional items and is still quite flaky with support for older hardware. I think it is OK with hardware that was designed for it though. Some things still piss me off though. :moon:

WildBillyT
10-18-2007, 12:21 PM
Windows has it's flaws. It's fat and seems slapped together in many cases. Mac stuff looks pretty and is more solid but still doesn't have the widespread usage it needs to really catch on. I have not enjoyed developing software on a Mac, FWIW. Linux is nice but is definetly requires you to know what you are doing and can be a royal PITA if open source stuff is half assed.

GrandmasterCow
10-18-2007, 01:15 PM
I work with all types of OSs, Windows, Linux *BSD, MAC. They all have their goods and bads. Windows is defianately, from a user-standpoint, very nice OS, aside from its numerous security issues. Linux is becoming a very user-friendly OS, but still has some issues to new users that can push new users away. Mac is next to Windows but more solid but, as stated above, hasn't caught on like windows has. *BSD operating systems are more for server applications, but I have a laptop running FreeBSD and it's nice and solid. I forget the name of the OS, but there was a new underground OS being developed that ran all Windows applications, but with the security and stability of a MAC/Linux operating system. If anyone knows this OS please let me know. I read about it online but lost/forgot the OS name.

shane27
10-19-2007, 09:52 PM
If I had the $$ I'd rebuy all the software and a MAC.
:gay::gheyfigh::supergay:

Brando56894
10-19-2007, 10:42 PM
that's why in my group @ the FAA we use Gentoo :)

i could never get gentoo to work correctly. i tried to install/compile it and it never worked correctly for me. i think the furthest ive gotten was installing the xserver but it kept giving me errors.

my roommate has a powerbook and hes constantly talking about the new OS, i have no idea what it looks like though.

I forget the name of the OS, but there was a new underground OS being developed that ran all Windows applications, but with the security and stability of a MAC/Linux operating system. If anyone knows this OS please let me know. I read about it online but lost/forgot the OS name.

i was just reading about that over at MSFN, it sounds pretty cool if they can get it off the ground. i'd really like to see all the bugs fixed and alot of stuff dealt with in an open source manner. they said the beta should be out relatively soon. its called ReactOS (http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html).

as for vista, i like it and hate it at the same time. i installed it when it first came out and loved the interface but it was too slow and buggy. so i went back to xp. i just reinstalled vista and its just too slow, i played the Unreal Tournament 3 demo the other day and it was lagging like crazy in vista.

JL8Jeff
10-20-2007, 09:11 AM
DOS all the way! :mrgreen: I actually still have an application running at work I wrote back in 1990 using Paradox 3.0 for DOS. They use it daily to reconcile and it still runs under XP. For some reason, they want me to rewrite it! :scratch: I can't comment much on the Windows management stuff because I've only done a little network management when our company was downsized. I learned a little Novell when I was 1 of 4 people in our MIS department and somebody had to set up new users. I started to learn the Windows NT stuff but fortunately they decided to hire more people.

79CamaroDiva
10-22-2007, 02:08 PM
my roommate has a powerbook and hes constantly talking about the new OS, i have no idea what it looks like though.

:google:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/

Brando56894
10-24-2007, 01:23 PM
doesnt really look any different to me :shrug:, ill stick with KDE and linux

Tsar
10-24-2007, 01:25 PM
doesnt really look any different to me :shrug:
same **** different name :shrug:

Brando56894
10-28-2007, 02:57 PM
exactly, kinda like windows only its just the opposite. it looks different on the surface but it still packed with the same bugs (aka "features")