PDA

View Full Version : bank for checking account?

Savage_Messiah
10-19-2007, 07:02 AM
I have to open up a new one, I don't wanna go into details but let's just say my experience with PNC has become complete and utter crap. Which is a shame, since their atms are everywhere.

Regardless, I wanna get some recommendations for banks... most important thing to me is probably ATM fees - I know some banks now will reimburse them (but I'm not even sure if anyone does that with free checking accounts... if not then screw it). I've heard good things about Commerce, and Chase sent me a thingy where if I open up a checking account w/ direct deposit (which I will be using regaedless) and keep it open 6 months, they'll give me $125 which is kinda cool lol... but not sure how common their ATMs are or what their policy on other ATM's fees are.

deadtrend1
10-19-2007, 07:30 AM
chase is very limited in nj. there are none in south jersey. Closest one is near trenton I think. But around you it shoudl be no problem. Commerce is decent, everywere in the local area. But they started atm fees so I may be changing from them

jims69camaro
10-19-2007, 07:42 AM
currently, i have accounts at commerce, wachovia and hudson federal savings. my wife also has an acount with the credit union at work, but i forget the name of it.

then there are the online accounts, like the orange... thing... now, i forget their name... ing direct?

foff667
10-19-2007, 07:49 AM
I've just got my credit union account but I also have a wawa 5 blocks from my house who doesn't charge for atm withdraws so the atm fees aren't an issue for myself.

I have a few savings accounts with the CU, roma & now ing direct.

Teds89IROC
10-19-2007, 07:53 AM
I have a free checking account with washington mutual and I have no complaints

slugger27nj
10-19-2007, 08:17 AM
The best thing about Commerce is convenience because of their late hours, open Sat and Sun, and many locations. They tend to make mistakes, though, so you always have to check everything. There's been a few times where I've been shorted on cash back when depositing checks, and I found 2 other huge mistakes. First one they shorted a deposit of $1500 by only depositing $150...oops, forgot that last 0. The second a few months ago, I noticed $3000 missing from a teller withdrawal that I didn't make. It turns out the person's account number that actually made the withdrawal was 2 digits off from mine, and just so happens they accidentally switched those 2 digits and debited my account instead of theirs. If I wasn't checking it, who knows if they would've caught it...I'm guessing not.

I'm actually considering ING Direct because I've read good things about them, plus they have a pretty high interest rate on your balance.

foff667
10-19-2007, 08:38 AM
The best thing about Commerce is convenience because of their late hours, open Sat and Sun, and many locations. They tend to make mistakes, though, so you always have to check everything. There's been a few times where I've been shorted on cash back when depositing checks, and I found 2 other huge mistakes. First one they shorted a deposit of $1500 by only depositing $150...oops, forgot that last 0. The second a few months ago, I noticed $3000 missing from a teller withdrawal that I didn't make. It turns out the person's account number that actually made the withdrawal was 2 digits off from mine, and just so happens they accidentally switched those 2 digits and debited my account instead of theirs. If I wasn't checking it, who knows if they would've caught it...I'm guessing not.

I'm actually considering ING Direct because I've read good things about them, plus they have a pretty high interest rate on your balance.

Yeah but thats called human error and happens at every bank, I was a bank teller for a few years & errors do happen many go in the favor of the customer but even if it goes in favor of the bank it looks bad on the teller when the error is found(and its almost always found).

As for ING check your mail for the $25 check they give you or shoot me a pm and I'll give you a link so you get $25 bonus with your initial deposit.

-Bill

WildBillyT
10-19-2007, 09:17 AM
Yeah but thats called human error and happens at every bank, I was a bank teller for a few years & errors do happen many go in the favor of the customer but even if it goes in favor of the bank it looks bad on the teller when the error is found(and its almost always found).

As for ING check your mail for the $25 check they give you or shoot me a pm and I'll give you a link so you get $25 bonus with your initial deposit.

-Bill

I agree. I've had Commerce since '99 and they have been great the whole time. Late nights and longer hours really help when I have to go after work.

1_Hot_SOM_WS6
10-19-2007, 09:42 AM
I agree. I've had Commerce since '99 and they have been great the whole time. Late nights and longer hours really help when I have to go after work.

+1....I've had them since '03 though.

firehawk1120
10-19-2007, 01:16 PM
I thought i read commerce got bought out by TD bank north???

GrandmasterCow
10-19-2007, 02:05 PM
I use commerce and ING

nj96z28
10-19-2007, 02:25 PM
i had a commerce checking for 2 years and let me say what a nightmare! 3 times i had to have mysterious 3 figure "withdrawals" investigated. they woudl freeze myt account and do their littel investigation only to have the money miraculously be back in my account with a letter saying my account is reinstated..... i finally closed teh damn accouint and went to Bank of America where my savings was anyway. There arent as many BOA's but after that ninsense , Im done with Commerce through and through. Theres more to the story but at the end of the day those are the facts. It turned out there was an individual with an account number only 2 numbers off from mine and there were some mistakes made on their end. :-?

1_Hot_SOM_WS6
10-19-2007, 06:52 PM
I thought i read commerce got bought out by TD bank north???

YEah...they are keeping the COmmerce name though. I guess we'll see how it does with the change.

89CamaroRS
10-19-2007, 07:21 PM
my account is with Yardville National Bank. Extremely nice people, great loan rates, free checking. been with them for 6 years, no problems. check their locations before u go for it though, i know they're all over the place in central jersey, not sure about anywhere else.

Knipps
10-19-2007, 08:20 PM
YEah...they are keeping the COmmerce name though. I guess we'll see how it does with the change.

does that mean i can use a td banknorth if i come across one?

Brando56894
10-19-2007, 08:26 PM
i just opened a commerce checking account about two or so weeks ago and i dont have anything bad to say about them (yet :lol: ) one good thing is that they give you your debit card instantly. i dont know if thats how every big bank is now but ive had a bank account at sun bank (only in south jersey) and i had to wait a week to get a new card :/

Tsar
10-19-2007, 08:42 PM
Sovereign Bank

79CamaroDiva
10-19-2007, 08:53 PM
I have Wachovia and just opened a PNC account. If you decide to go wachovia, let me know, if you go on my recommendation we both get $25 :) I don't have any complaints with them at all and have had the account for 3 years, but I also don't pay attention to ATM fees.. $1.50 is really not that big of a deal to me since I rarely use ATMs and usually will get cash back from stores if i need it

Predator86
10-19-2007, 09:22 PM
i got somerset savings....im not sure how far they span though

trashman01
10-20-2007, 03:07 PM
Bank Of America here