PDA

View Full Version : I hate heater cores!!!

Blacdout96
10-20-2007, 10:34 AM
So for about a week now my cars been sitting in the yard torn half apart for the damn heater core. I will say that 3rd gens are way easier to replace then 4th gen heater cores. This thing not only was a pain in the *** to take out, but to ge a new one costs around 100 bucks...for somethign I dont want..... I wish someone had a kit you could block them off or have a U bent pipe that fits in there. The reason why im pissed off is cause this is the third time its been replace since the car was built, so basically every 3-4 years its gotta be replaced. i dont know if anyone else is having this problem wiht there 4th gen, but to me, such an expensive part should last longer then that!!!

Knipps
10-20-2007, 11:24 AM
my heat blows cold air at the moment but i'm not sure if it's the heater core or a vent buried in the dash...

Blacdout96
10-20-2007, 11:34 AM
You might have to flush your system, that happened to me when I first got it, then I flushed it and havent had problems since

shane27
10-20-2007, 12:24 PM
i hate them too, its one of the big reasons im selling the mustang...speaking of which...

GP99GT
10-20-2007, 12:25 PM
i dunno if chevy uses the same stuff but on foxbody mustangs they have this stuff called "dumb gum"...its an adhesive they put on the heater core at the factory, which hardens over time so when you put a new core in, it wont go back in quite the right way and eventually that puts stress on it and leads to premature failure. its black, hard, and goopy looking like silicone if youre gonna look for it/remove it.

Jersey_TA
10-20-2007, 12:33 PM
That sucks :(

Thank god mine is still going strong.....7 years later....knock on wood. LOL now look for me to be posting up the same topic in a week damn it lol

Blacdout96
10-20-2007, 07:30 PM
LOL rob dont be jinxing yourself man!! I guess its just my car, then again the last one was installed by my uncle just before I bought it so maybe he messed up somewhere, I mean i wonder if thoe orange collant eats at it cause they are aluminum, or if this all makes coolant could be the culprit :(

12secondv6
10-20-2007, 08:51 PM
The one in my bird lasted 10 yrs.... until I removed it for weight savings

deadtrend1
10-21-2007, 07:55 AM
you get it though the glove box. much easier in 4th gens then 3rd gens

chevyt454
10-21-2007, 07:57 AM
I just changed mine. All day project.

chrisfrom nj
10-21-2007, 08:09 AM
i hate heater cores too and ac my car s going to be driven on nice days so i took all that stuff out now i have more room in the engine bay instead of going underneath the car to d the plugs now i can get to them from the top

deadtrend1
10-21-2007, 08:11 AM
i hate heater cores too and ac my car s going to be driven on nice days so i took all that stuff out now i have more room in the engine bay instead of going underneath the car to d the plugs now i can get to them from the top

Non AC heater box would fit that. Cna get to all the plugs on my car.

chrisfrom nj
10-21-2007, 08:21 AM
Non AC heater box would fit that. Cna get to all the plugs on my car.where the ac controlls went im going to fab up something to put 3 gauges the battery gauge water temp and oil pressure my radio is going to be under that

deadtrend1
10-21-2007, 01:17 PM
where the ac controlls went im going to fab up something to put 3 gauges the battery gauge water temp and oil pressure my radio is going to be under that

kinda pointless since you have them all in front of you already...

Blacdout96
10-21-2007, 03:25 PM
I just changed mine. All day project.

yours was all day? really? when my friends 86 did ( which just happen to be in the middle of a cold spell in november no less) I had that thing out, changed, and runnign in an hour, it took me an hour jsut to get the damn thing out in my 4th gen.