PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running a 2-step on their motor?

1QWIKBIRD
10-20-2007, 09:41 PM
I am looking to add a 2-step to my car, but can't find anyting other than the MSD box, which is more than I need and more than I really want to spend. Any ideas?

Chris

johnjzjz
10-21-2007, 07:25 AM
a street car auto-trans ( no transbrake ) has no use for a 2 step -- if you are foot braking or lifting the clutch and still want too use one - you will have to wire it for the delay in doing that - ( the time between lifting off the pedal and the 2 step letting the engine go ) will have to put in synk if you know what i am getting at -- they do make a small unit for bikes that interrupts with line control but thats to control the 12 / 15 thousand motor speed bikes have with the clutch lever -- what was it you are trying to do ??????? - jz

j0n
10-21-2007, 02:20 PM
JZ he wants to use the two-step on a manual transmission...and I believe it is in order to simply activate the two-step once hes staged to make for an easy launch(IE just floor the clutch/gas pedal and release the clutch when the green light drops)

johnjzjz
10-21-2007, 05:08 PM
we did all that not saying you cant but its very difficult - one - if the car is not a real race car 2000 lbs low 9s and faster with a 4 link diff it wont work at all - stock 3700 lb car Will only blow the tires out from under it and if it does hook well something is in the broke mode -- stock driven to track car is a waste of money and time to try that -- i can do 4 / 5 pages of what happened when we went after just that their is a very small window in why and how it would work -- ( TIP in stick car --- you can and its in the ruel book use the line lock to hold the car at the line -BUT- you have to go in first and put the lights on or their wont be enough time tio set yourself up ) not the easyest thing to do but their are guys doing just that and doing ok at it in brackets heavy and super -- jz

Tru2Chevy
10-21-2007, 06:34 PM
John, the 99-02 v6-M5 cars don't have any trouble using the "two-step" that is built into the computer. (The "two-step" they use is to set the park/neutral rev limiter to your launch RPM. While the car is standing still, the PCM thinks that it's in park/neutral, so at the line, they can hold the clutch and gas to the floor, and the engine will only rev to the set RPM. )

I know this is different than a normal two step, but I'm just saying that there are 200ish hp cars weighing over 3,000 lbs running mid-13s that use it just fine....

- Justin

johnjzjz
10-21-2007, 07:39 PM
John, the 99-02 v6-M5 cars don't have any trouble using the "two-step" that is built into the computer. (The "two-step" they use is to set the park/neutral rev limiter to your launch RPM. While the car is standing still, the PCM thinks that it's in park/neutral, so at the line, they can hold the clutch and gas to the floor, and the engine will only rev to the set RPM. )

I know this is different than a normal two step, but I'm just saying that there are 200ish hp cars weighing over 3,000 lbs running mid-13s that use it just fine....

- Justin

after reading i renmembered one of the stock eliminator guys telling me that -- being a dynosaw hahahahahha is not a help sometimes -- thanks -- jz

1QWIKBIRD
10-21-2007, 08:49 PM
JZ he wants to use the two-step on a manual transmission...and I believe it is in order to simply activate the two-step once hes staged to make for an easy launch(IE just floor the clutch/gas pedal and release the clutch when the green light drops)

That's all I am looking for.....and only if it can be had relatively cheap. After some more searching on LS1 Tech it appears that there are five options

a) the MSD box for the LS1 $340

b) a used "harlan" unit (some guy who was building units from scratch, but has since stopped making them) $????

c) Synergy Motorsports makes a rev limiter / 2step of some sort, but the web page is weak

d) Lingenfelter makes a rev limiter, $275 plugs into existing coil harness' and pulls spark to limit RPM, but is only a single stage device. It is either a low limit or high limit.

e) Using the stock computer and limting RPM in the Park/Neutral mode to control launch.

I know the car as solid 11 second potential and if I could get the car solidy in the 11's I'd go 12.0 index racing at ATCO for the fun of it. Being a stick car and having the ability to control the launch would be nice. And I think it's be fun as hell without abusing the car all that bad.

Chris

Tru2Chevy
10-21-2007, 09:19 PM
e) Using the stock computer and limting RPM in the Park/Neutral mode to control launch.

I didn't know that the LS1's had the option of doing that....I always thought that it was something that was built into the v6s only.

- Justin

1QWIKBIRD
10-22-2007, 07:25 AM
I didn't know that the LS1's had the option of doing that....I always thought that it was something that was built into the v6s only.

- Justin

I saw threads on it and just assumed it was for V-8 cars (sorry V-6 guys), maybe I should look a little closer?

Chris

Tru2Chevy
10-22-2007, 11:30 AM
I saw threads on it and just assumed it was for V-8 cars (sorry V-6 guys), maybe I should look a little closer?

Chris

Yea, I would look into it closer. I remember when we first "discovered" it while tuning Little G's car that everyone said it was only for v6 manuals. Do the LS1s have electronic throttle bodies, or cable?

The v6 one works by electronically opening the throttle body just enough to hold the set RPM, so you don't have to worry about bouncing off of a limiter.

- Justin

1QWIKBIRD
10-22-2007, 07:10 PM
Yea, I would look into it closer. I remember when we first "discovered" it while tuning Little G's car that everyone said it was only for v6 manuals. Do the LS1s have electronic throttle bodies, or cable?

The v6 one works by electronically opening the throttle body just enough to hold the set RPM, so you don't have to worry about bouncing off of a limiter.

- Justin

my chicken is cable....so i guess that means it won't work.....oops

Chris