PDA

View Full Version : WELL CAR GUYS HONEST ANSWER NOW

johnjzjz
10-23-2007, 05:19 PM
The Worlds Best Kept

Quick question, what side of your car is the gas tank? If you are anything like me, you probably can't remember right away. My solution is to uncomfortably stick my head out the window, strain my neck and look. If you don't do this in your own car you definitely have done it in a borrowed or rental car.
Well ladies and gentlemen, I'm going to share with you my little secret so you will no longer look like Ace Ventura on your way to the gas station or put your neck at risk of discomfort or injury.

If on your gas Gage, you have and you will see a small icon of a gas pump. The handle of the gas pump will extend out on either the left or right side of the pump. If your tank is on the left, the handle will be on the left. If your tank is on the right, the handle will be on the right (see photo ). It is that simple!

FEEL cheated!

Why don't the dealers share such important information with car buyers? I don't understand why this isn't in the drivers manual? I don't get why any mechanic I have ever been too or know has even thought of mentioning this , The only possible explanation can be that all these people probably don't even know!

HOW MANY ACTUALLY KNOW THIS ???????????????????? -- JZ

Knipps
10-23-2007, 05:22 PM
didn't know that...
they've all been on the same side for me

gotta love those idiots who try to stretch the hose across the car to pump their gas

ar0ck
10-23-2007, 05:22 PM
I do feel cheated! I honestly never noticed that and I always do it with my parents newer cars!

nj85z28
10-23-2007, 05:26 PM
Not 100% true, my fuel gauge has the little pump nozzle on the right but the tank is on the left

baddest434
10-23-2007, 05:27 PM
never knew that john. but i know all 3 of my chevy's are on the drivers side. are all chevy's on the drivers side?

Ian
10-23-2007, 06:00 PM
second gens have it behind the license plate. you can pull up to either side 8)

Anti_Rice_Guy
10-23-2007, 06:09 PM
never knew that john. but i know all 3 of my chevy's are on the drivers side. are all chevy's on the drivers side?
Pretty much...Everything from my dad's company's old 80s chevy van to the newer vans to his suburban to the camaro.

Tru2Chevy
10-23-2007, 06:10 PM
Many of the cars I have driven had a small arrow next to the gas pump picture indicating which side the tank was on.

- Justin

88Z-Man
10-23-2007, 06:11 PM
Yeah, what ever happened to the old hide the gas cap behind the rear lisense plate. That was always the best way to do it in my opinion. Not only did the car look cleaner without the little "door" on either side, but because the pump hoses are so short now you could refuel from either side. So there is was no need to worry about which side its on. When I was 16 and 17 and pumped gas I remember stretching the hoses over cars to pump when people pulled in on the wrong side.

bandit88
10-23-2007, 06:14 PM

my cavi's on the passenger side..... the only car i ever owned that has the filler on the wrong side of the car lol

and its always a PIA to get gas :evil:

maroman88
10-23-2007, 06:15 PM
the only car the tank was on the passenger side was the 92 mustang GT, everything else has always been drivers side, even all my parents cars

procamaroz28
10-23-2007, 08:00 PM
are you serious? you never knew that?? its either a small arrow or what side full mark is on

bad64chevelle
10-23-2007, 08:07 PM
second gens have it behind the license plate. you can pull up to either side 8)

:lol: I was just gonna ask what side to pull up on if its behind the license plate.

GP99GT
10-23-2007, 08:09 PM
stupid foxbody mustangs have it on the passengers side...bleh

ZeroCool8891
10-23-2007, 08:13 PM

no my cav is on the pass side, sucks so much becouse i have manuel windows. the people always go on that side

ShitOnWheels
10-23-2007, 08:14 PM
Every Mercedes I've driven so far is also on the passenger side. I switch between the benz and my elantra and have to remember which side to go on. It's annoying.

ZeroCool8891
10-23-2007, 08:18 PM
yea i hear you. same with at work i work fro saturn and every car is differnt it sometimes gets so annyoing.

Kat
10-23-2007, 08:30 PM
I get confused when Im in the GTO since is on the pass side. That and you have to push a button on the dash to pop the gas door. Thats kinda funny when I forget about that. lol

baddest434
10-23-2007, 09:13 PM
i seen a girl pull up to the pumps one day and she had the tank on the wrong side so the attendent told her and she drove around to another pump and sure enough she still had it wrong. he just laughed then pulled the hose right over her car.

Mike
10-23-2007, 09:56 PM
most cars built overseas have them on the passenger side, because in most of the places the cars are driven that IS the driver side

qwikz28
10-23-2007, 11:01 PM
i knew that! but i just figured it out recently

The Fixer
10-24-2007, 07:08 AM
Many of the cars I have driven had a small arrow next to the gas pump picture indicating which side the tank was on.

- Justin

:werd: That's how my Cherokee and my wife's '03 Liberty is, makes life much easier.

PolarBear
10-24-2007, 10:00 AM
most cars built overseas have them on the passenger side, because in most of the places the cars are driven that IS the driver side

I don't know about that, there are only a few countries in the world that drive on the wrong side of the road, and now that some of the "foreign" cars are built in the US now.....

My friend mentioned a few weeks ago that he wished he knew from inside the car which side the fill was on, he didnt know about the little arrow either.

Iroc-z86
10-24-2007, 03:20 PM
Not 100% true, my fuel gauge has the little pump nozzle on the right but the tank is on the left

yeah i have a gp as well and i think my cavalier had the nozzle on the left while the tank was on the right..

baddest434
10-24-2007, 05:16 PM
here's an honest answer....thats NOT true about the icon and the side that the tanks on!!!

my silverado has the icon w/the handle on the passenger side when the tank is on the drivers side.

don't believe everything you read:wink:

EchoMirage
10-24-2007, 05:48 PM
my 89 Beretta had it on the passenger side. most every car ive ever driven has had an arrow pointing to the fill side. my S10, Colorado, and 02 TA have it on the drivers. mothers vibe, also drivers. 78 TA......plate.

kristen
10-25-2007, 06:53 AM
that is freaking alsome. deff will come in handie since i can be in 1 of 4 cars on any givin day.

Rafterman
10-26-2007, 03:00 PM
i miss having it in the back, i use to be able to pull up to any pump with out having to drive around or wait, one of the only things i'd change about the GTA

Anti_Rice_Guy
10-26-2007, 03:32 PM
Just drove my dad's Suburban.. Lies! The pump handle is on teh right side, and the whole pump is on the left side of the gauge. Well the tank is on the left side (driver side) folks.

camarogirl57
10-26-2007, 03:49 PM
I just discovered this little gem about a month ago. Boy, did I feel smart then!
Spread the good news!