PDA

View Full Version : external fuel pump

chrisfrom nj
10-23-2007, 06:24 PM
im going to order a external fuel pump and regulator what kind of fuel pump should i use

johnjzjz
10-23-2007, 06:54 PM
no info to work with - whos pump - carb injection - HP of motor all play a roll in what is the deal on what to buy - jz

chrisfrom nj
10-23-2007, 07:13 PM
no info to work with - whos pump - carb injection - HP of motor all play a roll in what is the deal on what to buy - jzi have a holley carb the motor is a stock 350 with weiland team g intake and a msd distributer

johnjzjz
10-23-2007, 07:34 PM
a Holley blue pump is all you need and the small adj regulator rule of thumb is one pound of fuel pressure per 100 horsepower - but having said that set it around 5 it will work just fine and in no way over pressure the carb float valves they will work up to 9 PSI -- jz

johnjzjz
10-23-2007, 07:39 PM
i have a holley carb the motor is a stock 350 with weiland team g intake and a msd distributer

what is it doing that you think you need an elect pump ?????? -- in the 60s / 70s 427 chevy ford and the hemis came with block pumps and ran real well ?????????? -- jz

chrisfrom nj
10-23-2007, 08:03 PM
what is it doing that you think you need an elect pump ?????? -- in the 60s / 70s 427 chevy ford and the hemis came with block pumps and ran real well ?????????? -- jzthe car was tbi i converted it to carb i wanted to run the mechanical fuel pump but im going to put a 383 or 400 in it in the future thats why i want to have the eletric fuel pump plus all the gas lines come up on the driver side

BonzoHansen
10-23-2007, 08:57 PM
Why not use the stock in-tank pump & a psi regulator?

chrisfrom nj
10-23-2007, 09:51 PM
the stock pump is shot

WildBillyT
10-23-2007, 09:55 PM
Like stated above, the Holley Blue w/reg is a nice unit. Wire it up with a relay.

chrisfrom nj
10-23-2007, 10:22 PM
Like stated above, the Holley Blue w/reg is a nice unit. Wire it up with a relay.
can i wire it up to a switch as a safety precausion so no one can steal my car

BonzoHansen
10-24-2007, 08:14 AM
We posted diagrams on how to wire a FP not too long ago, search for it. Yes, you could add a switch, you would do so on the relay trigger side. GM has already put a lot of the wiring in place for you.

Did you change the sending unit in the tank? I wouldn't think you could just add an external pump and leave the dead pump in the tank.

chrisfrom nj
10-24-2007, 08:24 AM
We posted diagrams on how to wire a FP not too long ago, search for it. Yes, you could add a switch, you would do so on the relay trigger side. GM has already put a lot of the wiring in place for you.

Did you change the sending unit in the tank? I wouldn't think you could just add an external pump and leave the dead pump in the tank.i have a sending unit from a 82 camaro that im going to put in as soon as i have a little time i have a posi rear that im going to put in allso when i pull the rear im dropping the tank

chrisfrom nj
10-24-2007, 10:28 PM
what is it doing that you think you need an elect pump ?????? -- in the 60s / 70s 427 chevy ford and the hemis came with block pumps and ran real well ?????????? -- jz
i ordered a mechanical pump

Batman
10-26-2007, 08:43 AM
I'm a little confused, did the vehicle have an electric pump or a mechanical pump originally? If it had an electric (I'm guessing yes since you said it was a TBI) you need to get it out of the tank anyway so I would just put in a new intank pump that can handle the motor you are planning and tone it down with an adjustable FPR and save yourself alot of aggravation, time, and money.

chrisfrom nj
10-26-2007, 08:57 AM
I'm a little confused, did the vehicle have an electric pump or a mechanical pump originally? If it had an electric (I'm guessing yes since you said it was a TBI) you need to get it out of the tank anyway so I would just put in a new intank pump that can handle the motor you are planning and tone it down with an adjustable FPR and save yourself alot of aggravation, time, and money.i got the mechanical pump i got a carb pick up tube im dropping the tank to change that im useing the tbi gas line and put in a piece of line from the metal line to fuel pump and from the fuel pump to carb