PDA

View Full Version : rattling??

3rdGenLT1
10-24-2007, 07:58 AM
does any other third gen owners hace problems with rattling noises in the car when they go over a bumb every time i go voer a bumb it seems like my whole car rattles

BonzoHansen
10-24-2007, 08:23 AM
All of them rattle. All you can do is start hunting them down and fixing them one at a time.

chrisfrom nj
10-24-2007, 08:29 AM
All of them rattle. All you can do is start hunting them down and fixing them one at a time.
i agree with you every third gen rattles

3rdGenLT1
10-25-2007, 07:57 AM
dam this should be fun

BonzoHansen
10-25-2007, 08:01 AM
Welcome to old cars. It is part of the 'fun', LOL

Fast92RS
10-25-2007, 09:31 AM
I had the same problem. I put in frame connectors and that helped a little. then I put dyno matt all over and I got some of that expandable foam and placed it in some of the voids in the floor pan and trunk area. The biggest rattle I had was the spare tire.

BonzoHansen
10-25-2007, 09:45 AM
SFCs are a big way to fix & prevent new ones. But like with the spare tire example, all you can do is try to isolate things.

Untamed
10-25-2007, 03:21 PM
Make sure the shifter plate is tightened to the center console. It will squeek and vibrate.

Make sure the ash tray is screwed in or that will rattle as you drive.

The guage bezel will vibrate over time as sunlight destroys it. Again, tighten that down.

The spare tire was already mentioned.

If you have an automatic pull down for the hatch, make sure its pulling the hatch all the way down. The heavy glass will actually make the whole hatch vibrate as you drive.

If you have a carbed or TBI car, make sure the air cleaner is tightened.

Sometimes people cut the hanging bracket that holds the exhaust pipes when replacing / removing the cats. Its located right behind the cat. The pipe can vibrate on bumpy roads if the hanging bracket has been cut.

Finally... the whole damn car will squeek simply because 3rd gens are 20 +- years old. SFC's will help, but the little things listed above can be hunted down if you have a sharp ear while driving.

Pampered-Z
10-25-2007, 03:24 PM
Hatches rattle, adjust the rubber stops help. Also the rear seat, wrap some electircal tape around the latch-pin that helps. Swapbar ends and greasing all the rubber gromments is a big one too. And as already said, spare, jack etc. A solid strut tower brace stopped allot of my dash rattles too.

On my 84 I chased a bad rattle for weeks and it turned out the bolts that hold the steering box to the frame were loose! :shock:

camaro2you
10-25-2007, 03:46 PM
Another biggy that was forgotten is the door handle/lock bars like to rattle badly also.

j0n
10-25-2007, 04:07 PM
DELETED

MonmouthCtyAntz
10-26-2007, 01:37 PM
Yea fbodies in general (especially 3rd gens) are known as rattleboxes. My 97 Z28 was pretty bad and that was a hardtop.

Anti_Rice_Guy
10-30-2007, 08:22 AM
Our 95 vert barely rattles at all :confused:

MonmouthCtyAntz
10-31-2007, 05:55 PM
Our 95 vert barely rattles at all :confused:

Maybe you just dont notice it...all fbodies rattle unless you have some good susp. work done

NightRydaSS
11-02-2007, 03:26 PM
yea my GTA sounded like one of those rolling "pop corn" toys ( you kno that lil toy you pushed like a lawn mower that had the balls that popped in the dom).

426 Wedge
11-16-2007, 04:40 AM

Did F bodies rattle from the factory or from high milage or what?

Untamed
11-16-2007, 08:13 AM

All the things that hold the car together eventually loosen / break, making the parts rattle, squeak, or rub together, creating a cacaphony of sound as you drive. The third gen's were notorious for their numerous squeaks and rattles as they advanced in age. Brand new they were fine like most cars. Time and lots of driving just have a way of loosening everything up.

wretched73
11-22-2007, 09:43 PM
LOL! Funny story about my spare tire, that piece of metal that connects from the top of the quarter panel to the bottom. Well it was completely rusted off at the bottom. Plus there were two rust wholes in the corner panel to go along with it. But that also shaked horribly when i went 55mph +

bubba428
11-22-2007, 10:56 PM
if its in the door its the mirror. tighten the side view mirror...besides that theres a list bigger than the car of **** that rattles. I never heard a squeak out of my 94 but dear god my 86 sound like its about to come apart.

MonmouthCtyAntz
11-27-2007, 03:01 PM

Ive had 4 4th gens...none w/ more then 50k miles and they all rattled