PDA

View Full Version : Dog gave us a scare this weekend

JL8Jeff
10-30-2007, 07:06 PM
Sammy was having trouble standing up and we first thought it was her leg. Then when we finally got her standing, I noticed she was leaning to one side really bad. She couldn't walk a straight line and kept stumbling in an effort to walk around. At first, I thought it was a stroke or another siezure that caused it. Then I remembered that her ears were getting dirtier every time I cleaned them so I thought it was an ear infection causing it. It's called Vestibular Disease and it causes the dog to lose their sense of balance or equilibrium. The vet said most dog recover fully in 1-6 weeks as long as it's not the symptom of a brain tumor. She's already getting a better sense of balance but she still has the head turn and lean going on. She's 12-1/2 years old so the last thing I wanted was for her to be miserable if it was permanent damage. At this point, we think she's going to be ok. She'll probably have the head turn and lean for a little while as she recovers though. But at times, it's hard not to laugh when she's trying to focus on you.

http://home.comcast.net/~jeffhansbury/sammylean.jpg

-

BonzoHansen
10-30-2007, 07:40 PM
Poor dizzy little dog.

79CamaroDiva
10-30-2007, 08:11 PM
if she already had a stroke (you said another) that same thing happened to my friends lab. he was ok with it, and didnt limp or antyhing, but ended up permanently walking with his head turned.

good luck with the pup. its real tough when they get old. mine is 10 now, which is right int he middle of the life expectancy of a big breed :?

bandit88
10-30-2007, 08:15 PM
my first dog had a stroke and lived exactly 1 year to the day after it......... after her recovery which took her about a month i'd say she was back to her old self again....... she just always had a tilt in her head and she drank and ate real messy lol
she was a happy pup though RIP

Tru2Chevy
10-30-2007, 08:16 PM
Stumbling and walking with her head turned sideways? Are you sure she didn't get into the keg? :D

On a more serious note, I hope she makes a full recovery.

- Justin

JL8Jeff
10-31-2007, 07:42 AM
Man, Comcast is driving me crazy right now. All my pictures are hosed until they get around to upgrading my account. She seems to be doing better this morning but still has that head tilt for now. She doesn't want to go up the steps which is understandable since she's having equilibrium problems. The worst thing for now is when she hears a noise, she can't really tell where it's coming from and has to look all over.

bad64chevelle
10-31-2007, 08:37 AM
Jeez, poor thing! Hope all goes well, if she is already doing better thats a definite good sign. I thought the same thing as Justin though, maybe she got to the keg :-)

bandit88
10-31-2007, 09:31 AM
Jeez, poor thing! Hope all goes well, if she is already doing better thats a definite good sign. I thought the same thing as Justin though, maybe she got to the keg :-)

My puppy would so try..... he begs for beer :rofl:

Knipps
10-31-2007, 02:10 PM
My puppy would so try..... he begs for beer :rofl:

mine tried scotch once when she was a puppy
didn't like it too much :rofl:

JL8Jeff
10-31-2007, 07:11 PM
Our dog did try a cigar when she was a puppy and that burned her nose so she never got real nosey after that. Even with a big swoopy tail, she has never knocked over a beer so that's pretty impressive.