PDA

View Full Version : 87 Ws6

426 Wedge
11-09-2007, 01:31 PM
I found a 87 GTA Ws6. All original, 87K miles on it. Needs exhaust (rotted through). Feels like only the rear brakes work real bad brake fade (unsafe to drive without dying). Ac not working and when you let go of the wheel it pulls to the right pretty bad. Is it worth buying? About how much will it cost to fix? I's it a money pit? BTW Hello, I'm a newby here

SpeedMetalT/A
11-09-2007, 01:41 PM
How much are they asking for it?

The Fixer
11-09-2007, 02:26 PM
Depending on your mechanical ability, it could be worth it if the car is cheap enough. If they're asking big $$ and you have to pay someone to fix it, then no, it's not worth it. However, if the car has nice paint/interior and just needs some mechanical stuff that you can fix, and it's a cheap price to start with, then it's a good buy.

Just my opinion. Welcome to the site!

426 Wedge
11-09-2007, 02:47 PM
$3600. firm. Paint is orig. Was oxidized and buffed up pretty nice but not the louvers and vents. Spoiler is cracked and green moss is growing in the out side corners. I guess they missed this when polishing. I believe the car was sitting for somtime out side. Are struts and shocks due at 80K. I can do all the work no problem. The problem is I work so much I don't have all that much time right now. What else would it need at 80K?

NightRydaSS
11-09-2007, 02:55 PM
Moss...so that car has fungus? lol

I had a '90 GTA and my exhaust rotted out @ 81K
I also had a "pull issue". Mine was a stuck caliper. Urs might be that, combined with an alignment issue...a server alignment issue or a broken suspension part (tie-rod???). (you even said it feels like u have severe brake fade, so you might have faulty brakes)

If the car has 80K miles on it and has been sitting, there is prob a lot of "origional" parts on it. i would do a full tune up (plugs, wires, belts, brake pads (check calipers, and lines), shocks, fluids, alignment, ect...)

BonzoHansen
11-09-2007, 03:04 PM
It's all about paint & rust, then how does it run & shift.

The mechanicals you mentioned are easy to fix. Is it rear discs? the calipers are probably beat. Might need front end work like idler arm & center link, maybe a bad tire.

Still, too much money IMO.

NightRydaSS
11-09-2007, 03:06 PM

The mechanicals you mentioned are easy to fix. Is it rear discs? the calipers are probably beat. Might need front end work like idler arm & center link, maybe a bad tire.

true; i also had a slight tranny slip at 81K. these cars are TQ-e bastards! lol. if it is an GTA WS6, then by all bets it is rear disk

Still, you'd be looking at almost another grand added onto that price just for the parts to tune the car up back to stock form, let alone after martket mods. Shocks/Struts should be changed every 50-75K miles i believe depending on usage.

GP99GT
11-09-2007, 03:22 PM
wayyyyyy too much money

Pampered-Z
11-09-2007, 03:29 PM
Welcome!

A GTA WS6 could become a collectable to some degree. The 5.7 cars are a bit rare; I think the GunMetal grey was the rarest color?

Overall the cars are solid running and very dependable. As with all 3rd gens, a few rattles and squeaks seem to have designed in!

A cracked wing is fairly common, pulling/bad brakes, probably the hoses, or maybe calipers frozen. Either one would not be too much dollars to fix or hard to fix.

About the only real thing the 80's engine are known for is valve seals. No all, but it's not uncommon for the seals to start to go around 90-100K miles, and it's noticeable at start-up as you'll get a puff of black smoke. But again, a fairly easy fix.

I'd say the key thing to look for is rust, when it starts it is normally around the rear of the front fenders down at the ground effects.

About the biggest PITA thing is if the car is equipment with the digital dash and if starts failing. I'm not sure if there are still companies that repair them.

Make a list of what you think the car will need, then price out the parts, add the cost of the car and decide if you want to spend the dollars.

maroman88
11-09-2007, 03:31 PM
yea way to much. is it listed online? link?

426 Wedge
11-09-2007, 04:44 PM
Yea it's on ebay item 120181324293. I offered the salesman 2k and told me no way. Wants $3600. Didn't tell him I saw the car online. Heres somthing I found very interesting. The car is listed as a donated vehicle for charity. I called the charity at the 800 # to verify it. I asked the person who answered if they were familiar with the used car lot and he told me he's the used car salesman at the place. Doesn't sound right to me! Charity scam???? Basturds The car in the pic looks much nicer than in person.

BonzoHansen
11-09-2007, 04:52 PM
These pics give it away pretty good.

http://i15.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/c2/b2/7ef9_12.JPG

426 Wedge
11-09-2007, 05:09 PM
Also the clearcoat on the wheels is gone. One wheel hit pretty hard at one time. there is about a 2 inch flat spot on the lip. Top of door panels are cracked on both doors. Headliner and upholstery is nice. no ashes in tray. Doesnt smell like smoke. Console is separating on either side of the shifter. CD holder mounder on floor behind front seat. Doesn't look like it was ever hit. Front bumper has spider cracks and the GTA badge is messed up, was hit. Hood and hatch shocks NG. Interior faded in back. lug nuts missing. Lock cylinder in tailight hard to open. Has aftermarket alarm. The windshield has Malcom Konner engraved permanently on top. I dont know if it matters, but the directional tires on the rear are on backwards. LOL

426 Wedge
11-09-2007, 05:19 PM

It started right up (forgot to look for smoke). Idled fine, Guages work, It ran good and shifted ok. The saleman told me to basically take it around the block. I would have preffered to come back an hour later. Its a nice original car that was not kept up IMO. It's a building block car.

maroman88
11-09-2007, 05:25 PM
ehh ive seen worse, also its a no reserve auction so someones guna get it and its at 2800 now. looks like some aftermarket runners and maybe exhaust on there. i wouldnt pay more then 3k seeing the faded paint

426 Wedge
11-09-2007, 05:39 PM
Considering its 20 years old its in pretty decent shape! Low milage, original paint and sheet metal. Definatly worth restoring. Just needs too much to get it right. For me that is.

BonzoHansen
11-09-2007, 05:58 PM
The inside looks good. $3k if the underside is very solid seems fair.

426 Wedge
11-09-2007, 06:11 PM
I guess 3 grand is fair but the seller should have been honest and mentioned the fact that the exhaust is rotted, pulls to the right, and the brakes suck!

SpeedMetalT/A
11-09-2007, 09:52 PM
Somewhere between $2500-$3000 seems reasonable for that car.

Batman
11-10-2007, 07:26 AM
An 87 GTA (assuming it is real, check the RPO CODE) is a rare car and will be worth some money down the road, but with all the work it needs I wouldn't pay over $2500.00. I'd only pay that much because it is an 87 but all the GTA's are coming into their own now and a clean can cost you anywhere between $8000-$12000.00. So it is a bit pricy a needs work but these cars are starting to demand a premium. If he'd go $2500.00-$3000.00 I'd probably take it.

426 Wedge
11-10-2007, 08:08 AM
Its a automatic. Also the elec antenna doesn't work. The right blinker flashes more slowly than the left. I also would have like to put it on a lift if the seller wants alot of $ for it.

Tru2Chevy
11-10-2007, 06:06 PM
The auction is up to $4,450 now.....I would start looking for something else.

- Justin

maroman88
11-10-2007, 06:16 PM
The auction is up to $4,450 now.....I would start looking for something else.

- Justin

wow, interesting

BonzoHansen
11-10-2007, 06:44 PM
Salesman knows more then we do, LOL

426 Wedge
11-11-2007, 12:30 PM
Thats alot of money for a car that needs alot of work. I guess you can drive it as it is and be happy with a "booger".

Rafterman
11-15-2007, 08:13 PM
$4,450?!?!? I'm thinking of getting mine into the market...