PDA

View Full Version : stuck throttle

Teds89IROC
11-21-2007, 07:57 PM
I recently cleaned my TB with carb cleaner when I had all the issues 2 weeks ago. I noticed now that when I'm driving and let off the gas and coast the rpms sit higher than normal. Also, at idle if I rev the car the rpms don't come back down, I have to get out and push the TB back down, maybe 1/8". So it's not dropping back on its own. I searched TGO and what I'm finding is that they say the TB blades wear out the rod they are attached to and you need to get that replaced or a new TB. Anyone here ever have this problem or anyone have any solutions? I haven't looked inside to see if the rod is worn but I was thinking being that I cleaned it all out maybe I need to spray some grease or something on the return spring..any ideas?

BonzoHansen
11-21-2007, 09:47 PM
Cable isn't binding, is it?

The Fixer
11-21-2007, 09:53 PM
Hey Ted,
I think I told you that I have the same issue with my TB, and it's a fresh rebuilt 52mm TB. I emailed the guy I bought it from and he says there's nothing wrong with it, I probably over-tightened the bolts when I installed it and tweaked the body of the TB a bit. Try loosening them back up and just snugging them down to see if that helps. Course, I should try my own advice to see if it helps my car! I even went so far as to hook up a return spring and it hasn't helped it; I have to put the car in neutral and kick the throttle for it to go back to a normal idle, otherwise it idles high just like your car.

Teds89IROC
11-22-2007, 02:55 AM
The cable isnt binding because I hear the pedal inside move very freely when I'm pulling the cable from under the hood. Steve, I vaguely remembered you saying something about that, I was actually going to PM you haha. I'll loosen the bolts a bit and see if that helps. Also, can you send me a picture of how you ran a return spring? I might do that too just for added security

JSPERFORMANCE
11-22-2007, 07:37 AM
if you had set the minimum air rate with a dirty throttle body the ilde may hang once you clean it bacause of the increased airflow @ idle. I would clean the tb one more time as good as you can then make sure it is functioning properly, even if you have to remove the cables from the lever, then re set the minimum air rate with the clean blades and the tps set correctly. If the blades refuse to return to closed position you may have lodged some gunk in there or the body could be tewaked but that is less likely. If it still wants to hang up a bit there is nothing wrond with adding an external throttle return spring..

Batman
11-22-2007, 09:22 AM
You took the sensors out before you cleaned it right?

Teds89IROC
11-22-2007, 11:02 AM
Yes, I took the sensors off, cleaned the TB and put new sensors on it after. I set the IAC valve according to the instructions before I put it on. I'll take it apart one more time and see if I see any visible gunk in there.

Teds89IROC
11-26-2007, 10:42 AM
fixed it. I took the TB off and made sure there was no gunk blocking anything, put WD40 on the throttle cable and TV cable, and reinstalled making sure not to overtighten anything. I also slid the TPS over, I know the proper way to adjust it is to use a voltmeter and jump two of the prongs together but I can do that at another time. The RPM's don't sit high anymore and my idle is about 700.

maroman88
11-26-2007, 04:06 PM
niiice