PDA

View Full Version : Rough Idle Once Warm?

alamantia
12-04-2007, 11:25 AM
Last year I bought a 1992 K1500 Blazer and drove it all winter and gave it a tune up in the spring when the ignition module went. When i first bought it I noticed it idled a little rough but figured it was just old at 160,000k and the rings were worn. When the ignition modlule went I replaced the module, cap, rotor, wires and plugs along with Air cleaner and PCV valve, belts hoses and thermostat & radiator. Still idles rough. Fuel pump went last summer, replaced that along with the filter. Put a new altenator and battery in it a few weeks ago. All said and done, still idles rough. Whatever, its old and the rings are prolly shot right? I notice that when i start it in the morning now that its cold out, it fires right up like a champ and goes straight to high idle, once it comes down off of high idle to normal idle the temp gauge is showing 120-140 degrees, it idles supurb, i mean like new, i cant believe how well it idles, not a shake stumble, nothing, now I know it is capeable of ideling like it should, once it goes up to 180 (180 stat) it idles like **** again, WTF? Should I take the IAC and EGR valves out and clean them with Carb cleaner? I could see if the heat is causeing the engine to expand and causing a vaccum leak between the intake runner and the head but I figured if it heats up any leak would close, not open? any ideas? Why does it idle fine when cold and like crap when hot? What causes that? Timing?

johnjzjz
12-04-2007, 05:53 PM
i had the same problem 90 305 2500 truck , in the DFI it has a compartment i think its like a filter i dont remember its been a while but it was clogged under the injectors - it idled bumpy and was loosing power -- jz

JSPERFORMANCE
12-05-2007, 06:29 AM
sounds like it only runs rough when it is trying to go into closed loop, could be an o2 sensor..

alamantia
12-05-2007, 01:23 PM
Forgot to mention I changed the 02 with the tune up, I wish it was a clogged injector but it seems to pulsate correctly and it has no power loss, i sprayed the intake runners with carb cleaner and it didnt smooth out, i sprayed it down the TBI and it bogged which was good, im just confused

JSPERFORMANCE
12-05-2007, 05:14 PM
have you scaned it? where are the block learns? where is the iac position?

BonzoHansen
12-05-2007, 06:07 PM
Also check simple things...I had a bad spark plug to that to me - hairline crack.

alamantia
12-06-2007, 06:34 AM
Thanks for all your help fellas, it was a crack in the friggin brake boster hose, go figure, I discovered it when squirting the manafold with carb cleaner last night. Thanks for all your help.