PDA

View Full Version : PCMFORLESS Vs Hypertech Power Tuner

maroman88
12-27-2007, 08:56 AM
watta u guys think? i wanted a basic tune for the 95 and was lookin at PCMFORLESS, i like the idea but what if i need to go back to stock, also they send you a core computer out of who knows car (they can also tune yours but its my DD and i cant wait like a week for the computer to get back). so i looked at the hypertech power tuner and it doesnt seem like it can do as much for me, but i keep my computer and can return it to stock myself... watta you guys think?

and while im in there wats the deal with the LT4 knock module? worth it or what?

JerzLT1
12-27-2007, 09:13 AM
you only need the LT4 knock module if your planning on modding the car. id go with the PCMFORLESS tune, hyper tech is good if your changing gears or tire sizes but thats about it

maroman88
12-27-2007, 09:38 AM
lemme throw madz28 in the mix too! cheaper then PCMFORLESS

ar0ck
12-27-2007, 10:13 AM
I would go with the mail order for your car. I wouldn't bother with Hyper tech junk. I went with madZ28 for my car and the price was good, and the tune is pretty close. If you ship your computer out priority mail the turn around time is usually really quick. When they send you a core computer, its a refreshed PCM that already has a OEM LT1 tune for your year car, your not just getting some random junkyard PCM.

LT4 Knock Modules are usually for cars with a little more bolt ons. From my understanding its supposed to be less sensitive to engine knocks & noises possibly caused by after market rockers, headers or even a big cam. I still have the stock knock module on my car but it was "desensitized" in the tune.

Pampered-Z
12-27-2007, 01:31 PM
The hand tuners are good for doing minor stuff like bumping the timing a little or fixing the speed-o after a gear change. But once you get into internal mods and such you'll benefit more from a tuner.

Where your at now with mods the hand unit would be fine, but of you plan for more mods then spend your money with PCM4LESS or MADZ28. I know people using both and all are happy. Also remember that they will retune for a small fee, I think PCM4LESS also offers unlimited tunes for a slightly higher price.

Both tuners also travel and do dyno tuning, so if you want to squeeze every HP out they can do it far better then you can with a hand tuner. I use Alvin of PCM4LESS and another benefit is that he will read scans of my car and make changes to improve the tune. You don't get that type of support from a hand tuner either!

maroman88
12-27-2007, 06:43 PM
The hand tuners are good for doing minor stuff like bumping the timing a little or fixing the speed-o after a gear change. But once you get into internal mods and such you'll benefit more from a tuner.

Where your at now with mods the hand unit would be fine, but of you plan for more mods then spend your money with PCM4LESS or MADZ28. I know people using both and all are happy. Also remember that they will retune for a small fee, I think PCM4LESS also offers unlimited tunes for a slightly higher price.

Both tuners also travel and do dyno tuning, so if you want to squeeze every HP out they can do it far better then you can with a hand tuner. I use Alvin of PCM4LESS and another benefit is that he will read scans of my car and make changes to improve the tune. You don't get that type of support from a hand tuner either!

nice, i dont plan on doin anything else major, its my DD so an intake and exhaust is all i need

JL8Jeff
12-27-2007, 07:37 PM
The LT4 knock module is worth it regardless of mods. Just headers alone will cause some false knock. I put it on my old 96 SS and you could see less knock retard after doing it. Just don't pay too much for it.

MonmouthCtyAntz
12-28-2007, 07:01 AM
pcmforless and madz28 will both give you more power then a hpp and will be cheaper. I had a hpp on my 97 strictly for the gears...Though I noticed an instant torque gain after the hpp install some guys have said they gained a tenth w/ it and some have said they actually lost power. As far as the track I really couldnt tell a differance. I liked playin around w/ the hpp's features but as far as 4th gens are concerned there's cheaper options out there then a handheld that will perform better. Id save for headers before a tuner. As for the LT4 KM I also had that, some guys have said it made the car run smoother up top and some have said they felt nothing.. I never really noticed anything, but for 35 bucks and 2 minute install why not. Id save for Lt's before anything if i was you, that will give you the biggest gains for the $, then a cam and or cam/heads then a tune.

Tru2Chevy
12-28-2007, 04:03 PM
Id save for Lt's before anything if i was you, that will give you the biggest gains for the $, then a cam and or cam/heads then a tune.

He already said that this was for his DD, so he's not doing anything more than exhaust and intake.

- Justin

deadtrend1
12-28-2007, 07:31 PM
If you get a LT4 Knock Module, and do a mail order tune, don't ship your ECM out with the LT4 Knock Module still in it .. .:)

maroman88
01-02-2008, 06:59 PM
If you get a LT4 Knock Module, and do a mail order tune, don't ship your ECM out with the LT4 Knock Module still in it .. .:)

LOL thanks!

V
01-07-2008, 04:45 PM
i dealt with PCMFORLESS with my denali. and i was VERY pleased, i would def recommend them. I only had minor changes made to the ecm, not performance, but it was stuff i needed badly, and it only cost like 65(return shipping included). i sent it out on a monday and wed evening i had it back. i was shocked how fast it was done.