PDA

View Full Version : Atco resurfacing.....

1QWIKBIRD
01-04-2008, 11:00 AM
Going concrete to the 660' mark.......:nod:

http://www.atcorace.com/artman/publish/cat_index_100.php

Tru2Chevy
01-04-2008, 04:59 PM
Sway sure has been dumping money into that track lately, hasn't he?

- Justin

bubba428
01-04-2008, 05:15 PM
well as long as it actually helps. maybe they'll shave a bit more off the 60' :lol:

NJSPEEDER
01-04-2008, 05:26 PM
can't wait to see how it is when they get opened back up for the season.

Tru2Chevy
01-04-2008, 05:28 PM
well as long as it actually helps. maybe they'll shave a bit more off the 60' :lol:

Concrete has more grip than asphalt, so it should help everyone get even better times. I'm sure people will be accusing Atco of chopping another 10' or 15' off the length of the track next year ;)

- Justin

SteveR
01-04-2008, 05:40 PM
Thats cool. That transition point from concrete to asphalt has to be 100% perfect though. Which national event track is it that has that problem with the concrete to asphalt transition point? Dallas? One of 'em does and they mention it every year lol

1QWIKBIRD
01-04-2008, 08:30 PM

- Justin

I was checking to see if they were gonna open this weekend with the forecast supposed to be decent, but I guess it's kinda tough to run if there is no surface to run on:rofl:

Yeah he is definitley putting money back into the track, so you can't fault hi there. Lots of guys would probably pocket the cash and run....

Chris

johnjzjz
01-04-2008, 08:42 PM
i dont know if its true but the word is atco has the fastest cars in the country ( the most 7 second dragsters and sedans ) of any other track that race their every week -- maybe but the racing is real you need a 7 to 9 thousands package to go the distance most weeks -- jz

1QWIKBIRD
01-04-2008, 08:54 PM
Thats cool. That transition point from concrete to asphalt has to be 100% perfect though. Which national event track is it that has that problem with the concrete to asphalt transition point? Dallas? One of 'em does and they mention it every year lol

Yeah I've heard the same thing and seen it on TV too, the second they hit the transition they loose traction. I think its at Houston? but definitely somewhere in Texas.

79CamaroDiva
01-04-2008, 09:02 PM

since the starting pad is already concrete, i dont think it actually will (i cant tell if they're tearing up what was already concrete, or juts adding more). It'll be interesting to see how it will affect times and consistency though.

NJSPEEDER
01-04-2008, 09:03 PM
after going through all that trouble grinding the whole track last winter, i wonder if he will have to grind the first half again to keep it consistent

SteveR
01-04-2008, 09:07 PM
i dont know if its true but the word is atco has the fastest cars in the country ( the most 7 second dragsters and sedans ) of any other track that race their every week -- maybe but the racing is real you need a 7 to 9 thousands package to go the distance most weeks -- jz

Cecil is another possibility. I'm not sure about this year or this past year, but they used to have almost weekly Quick 8, Pro Mod, Outlaw 10.5 and Outlaw Pro Mod races there.

Is E-Town doing the Ultra Quick 8 races every Sunday again this year?

SteveR
01-04-2008, 09:09 PM
Yeah I've heard the same thing and seen it on TV too, the second they hit the transition they loose traction. I think its at Houston? but definitely somewhere in Texas.

Maybe it's Houston, but you're right, it's definitely in Texas. And both lanes have problems, but one lane is worse than the other because the transition point isn't perfectly strait across the track, it's at a slight angle, making it worse.

79CamaroDiva
01-04-2008, 09:16 PM
Cecil is another possibility. I'm not sure about this year or this past year, but they used to have almost weekly Quick 8, Pro Mod, Outlaw 10.5 and Outlaw Pro Mod races there.

Is E-Town doing the Ultra Quick 8 races every Sunday again this year?

i think johns talking about the bracket program there.. and if so, i think he's right about the field being that fast. you've seen it yourself with the tight racing at the mitchell races, thats just how it is there.

keith2717
01-04-2008, 09:17 PM
Can't wait to see what happens.

SteveR
01-04-2008, 09:21 PM
i think johns talking about the bracket program there.. and if so, i think he's right about the field being that fast. you've seen it yourself with the tight racing at the mitchell races, thats just how it is there.

ooo, ok. Yea, the brackets are quick. Does Scotty race at Atco? He was running for E-Town at the bracket finals I think.

79CamaroDiva
01-04-2008, 09:26 PM
ooo, ok. Yea, the brackets are quick. Does Scotty race at Atco? He was running for E-Town at the bracket finals I think.

he might run both and then just pick whichever one he qualifies no 1 at :lol:

SteveR
01-04-2008, 09:30 PM

thats so not fair :lol:

NJSPEEDER
01-06-2008, 01:11 PM
ran into jamie (the staging lane guy) from atco last night. he said the weather has prevented them pouring yet, hopefully today though. the track will also be reground to ensure it is glass smooth again :)
i have a feeling it will be like last year, where the first week or so the traction will be a little spotty while the rubber builds again. then it will be nice and fast.
didn't really get an explanation of why it needed to be repoured though.
oh well, the sways have the money and they are putting it into the facility for the racers. whatever their reasoning, i like it :drive:

johnjzjz
01-06-2008, 01:43 PM
ran into jamie (the staging lane guy) from atco last night. he said the weather has prevented them pouring yet, hopefully today though. the track will also be reground to ensure it is glass smooth again :)
i have a feeling it will be like last year, where the first week or so the traction will be a little spotty while the rubber builds again. then it will be nice and fast.
didn't really get an explanation of why it needed to be repoured though.
oh well, the sways have the money and they are putting it into the facility for the racers. whatever their reasoning, i like it :drive:

the high end cars all the tracks get for brackets today are near 1000 HP. slide rule says 2000 pound car 7.40 = 1000 HP+. none of the dragsters are over that weight, and lots of them are faster than that and they are all starting to use computer downloads to give them a track read amongst other stuff. lots of guys were complaining about the transition from concrete to black top, the read outs were showing the chassis's were unloading causing swaying and bouncing soooo i think Joe S decided to move the spot down track so they will be already in second speed when it happens.

if you watch, you will have seen every once in a while a guy lift as if something happened. also most of those cars are 60 footing in under a second like .9xx. the violence of that shot is not so much a thing once the trans shifts -- lots of real neat stuff in the glides have come along to aid in the transition -- the double fluid release dump for reverse in the trans brake leave of these cars / is happening in under 4 tenths of a second completely, and on a dyno the 1 - 2 shift sounds like you hit the case with a 5 pound sledge. it is amazing

jz

bubba428
01-06-2008, 08:19 PM

i was joking :lol: but either way I can't wait to get some runs in

Tru2Chevy
01-06-2008, 08:51 PM
i was joking :lol: but either way I can't wait to get some runs in

Bubba they weren't talking about you at all....

- Justin

Demonicbird00
01-06-2008, 11:39 PM

- Justin

gee i wonder why........ over booking on event days and only geting 1-3 runs in........ def wasnt like this 4+ yrs ago

its def unbelievable.........but on e other hand..... concrete will equal better traction and better times

-brandon

79CamaroDiva
01-07-2008, 12:20 AM
Bubba they weren't talking about you at all....

- Justin

ha. nope. not even close.

bubba428
01-07-2008, 06:38 PM
:doh:

since the starting pad is already concrete, i dont think it actually will (i cant tell if they're tearing up what was already concrete, or juts adding more). It'll be interesting to see how it will affect times and consistency though.

I meant to hit that quote...I hit the wrong one

79CamaroDiva
01-11-2008, 10:20 PM
talked to the sways yesterday and today.. the pouring is all done, they've just gotta grind and polish now.. they had the perfect week for it this week

Tru2Chevy
01-12-2008, 08:52 PM
http://www.atcorace.com/artman/publish/cat_index_100.php

That's the same link from the first post, but they have a bunch more pictures up now....looks good.

They poured fresh concrete for the burnout boxes, but it looks like they didn't connect that with the new concrete for the rest of the the track.

- Justin

bubba428
01-12-2008, 09:09 PM
I love how they have the "Cold Beer" truck on the track

deadtrend1
01-12-2008, 09:19 PM
going to be definetly sweet. I can't wait till it "breaks in" like Tim said and see how much I can knock off this year...

1_Hot_SOM_WS6
01-12-2008, 10:40 PM
ran into jamie (the staging lane guy) from atco last night.

oOh yeah? Where did u see him at? :rofl::wink::rofl::wink::wink:

deadtrend1
01-13-2008, 09:41 AM
oOh yeah? Where did u see him at? :rofl::wink::rofl::wink::wink:

some place VERY special ...

Blacdout96
01-13-2008, 05:38 PM
why dont they run the whole 1/4 mi. concrete? that way they wouldnt have to worry about the transition factor

deadtrend1
01-13-2008, 06:01 PM
why dont they run the whole 1/4 mi. concrete? that way they wouldnt have to worry about the transition factor

concrete is expensive

BonzoHansen
01-13-2008, 06:01 PM

I might guess cost is a major reason. Concrete just about adds a zero to the cost of a driverway compared to pavement.

NJSPEEDER
01-13-2008, 06:22 PM
i wouldn't be surprised if they went the rest of the way down the track next winter. they have been making their upgrades in logical steps and i would see that as one of the next steps.

BonzoHansen
01-13-2008, 07:25 PM
Plus would all concrete add expansion joints too? Wouldn't that be bad? Are other tracks all concrete? Although Dover is for the roundy round boys.

Blacdout96
01-13-2008, 07:36 PM
Plus would all concrete add expansion joints too? Wouldn't that be bad? Are other tracks all concrete? Although Dover is for the roundy round boys.

I was just thinking the same thing,dont they need expansion joints, and if so, would you feel it goign down the track? I know goign down Highways of concrete you can feel it and hear it, the nagain, my suspensions pretty stiff so....

BonzoHansen
01-13-2008, 07:48 PM
I'm pretty sure ytou have to have them or they will crack. I just don't know how many in a 1/4 mile.

bubba428
01-13-2008, 09:33 PM
if they made them going long ways you'd never feel it, and sense the joints are typically only on 1 side they could be on the under side of the pad

Blacdout96
01-13-2008, 09:59 PM
well the thing about concrete is its not elastic like asphalt, it needs it on all 4 corners. in the indusrty there is a length, to width cut for them, but yeah that is the downside of concrete, but the epoxies they set in the joints im sure are borught up and smoothened out, and they wont have any problems with it.

79CamaroDiva
01-14-2008, 07:50 AM
I love how they have the "Cold Beer" truck on the track

you have to know the sway boys in person to know how they work. they function on beer. :lol:

bubba428
01-14-2008, 08:24 AM
nothing wrong with that.

Jersey_TA
01-14-2008, 06:23 PM
some place VERY special ...

Probably the same place I saw him ;)

Mike
01-15-2008, 12:22 AM
i want to go to special places to see special people too.......

deadtrend1
01-15-2008, 04:12 AM
i want to go to special places to see special people too.......

but you need to be "special" also

bubba428
01-15-2008, 07:26 AM
but you need to be "special" also

How "special"? this special: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/Flutterby8i8j/special_ed.jpg

or this special: http://www.gmmodernmuscle.com/fileupload/uploads/dei.jpg

deadtrend1
01-15-2008, 04:48 PM
umm ... ok. You went a little overboard on the special.

I was thinking a little more like Heath Ledger & Jake Gyllenhaal in "Brokeback Moutain" special.

Knipps
01-15-2008, 04:59 PM

I was thinking a little more like Heath Ledger & Jake Gyllenhaal in "Brokeback Moutain" special.

buttsecks special? :supergay:

Jersey_TA
01-15-2008, 05:45 PM
ahahahahahahahaha

98tadriver
01-18-2008, 12:07 PM
been out of that trade for a while, if i remember correctly, there are different kinds of joints for concrete. theres expansion joint that you can put in between, i think theres some kind of metal u can put in between, and you can also run a cutsaw across to make the joints. (control joint, cold joint, etc) control joints keep the cracks from spreading i think. haha . I dunno how it works for a drag strip though. i need to get some VHT from summit so i can prep one end of my driveway and practice my launches :lol:

Mike
01-18-2008, 03:18 PM

it bothers me that you know who starred in that movie

Knipps
01-18-2008, 03:58 PM

it'd be scarier if he used character names IMO

deadtrend1
01-18-2008, 04:49 PM

actually never seen it, don't plan on it either

98tadriver
01-22-2008, 09:24 PM
rip heath ledger

bubba428
01-22-2008, 10:17 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA

JerzyIroc
02-13-2008, 02:12 PM
They're doin the same to Englishtown as well. This is off their website:

Major Facility Improvements Take Place During Offseason at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park

The northeast’s premier drag racing facility has been undergoing a facelift during the winter break before our 2008 season. The main improvement is an additional 278’ of concrete to each lane of the dragstrip, making the first 1/8th mile of the track all concrete.

The past few months at Raceway Park have been extremely busy, though not a single car has gone down the track. Major facility improvements are under way during our annual winter break, helping to keep Raceway Park as one of the top motorsports venues in the country.

The most noticeable improvement is the addition of several hundred feet of concrete to our racing surface, and a new, longer burnout box. The concrete portion will now make up more than the first 660' of racetrack. Look for fast times at this year's NHRA SuperNationals, as well as a great racing surface all year long.

The scale booth has also been completely redone, now boasting a sliding glass door and new exterior. The parking lot near the lake has also been extended with an expansive parking addition, aiming to relieve congestion during larger events.

Track improvements are nearing completion, and Old Bridge Twp. Raceway Park is ready for opening day, taking place this year on Saturday, March 1st.

About Old Bridge Twp. Raceway Park:

Old Bridge Twp. Raceway Park is a world class motorsport facility located near Englishtown, NJ. Since 1965, Raceway Park has been providing fast family fun on their 1/4th and 1/8th mile dragstrips, motocross racetrack, motocross practice tracks, karting track, and a brand new road course.

Nick Goldman, Asst. Track Manager

Old Bridge Twp. Raceway Park

732-446-7800

SteveR
02-13-2008, 02:30 PM
Yup, just saw that on NHRA.com, same with Maple Grove too.

98tadriver
02-13-2008, 02:45 PM
friggin copycats! Im still not driving all the way up there to race. atco ftmfw (except the part where u cant drive around the waterbox)

JerzyIroc
02-18-2008, 09:54 PM
where do you live?

bubba428
02-19-2008, 09:20 AM
as far south as you can go with out hitting water and not going into cape may county

98tadriver
02-19-2008, 06:05 PM
where do you live?

im 5 mins from the delaware bay and 2 mins from the cumberland county-capemay county border

Frosty
02-19-2008, 07:21 PM
friggin copycats! Im still not driving all the way up there to race. atco ftmfw (except the part where u cant drive around the waterbox)

QFT

bubba428
02-19-2008, 08:30 PM
water box sucks with streets....but I won't have that problem next time :shifty:

79CamaroDiva
02-25-2008, 11:25 AM
water box sucks with streets....but I won't have that problem next time :shifty:

I never had a problem with street tires at atco. I cut a 1.88 60' on them there :shrug:

bubba428
02-25-2008, 02:54 PM
did they spray it 3 cars b4 u pulled up??? which would have been right as ron was trying to go lol

Tru2Chevy
02-25-2008, 03:52 PM
did they spray it 3 cars b4 u pulled up??? which would have been right as ron was trying to go lol

You just have to pull through the water very slow, and spin 'em a bit to get whatever is on there off. I've always dead hooked at Atco with no issues (minus a pass in mom's minivan with the TC turned off)....

- Justin

98tadriver
02-25-2008, 04:07 PM
QFT

QFT? not familiar with that one

I never had a problem with street tires at atco. I cut a 1.88 60' on them there :shrug:

I cut a 1.83 on street tires there :)

Tru2Chevy
02-25-2008, 04:57 PM
QFT? not familiar with that one

Quoted For Truth

- Justin

SteveR
02-25-2008, 06:15 PM
lol I thought it meant 'Quite F'ing True' :rofl:

Tru2Chevy
02-25-2008, 06:22 PM

Same basic idea....

- Justin

79CamaroDiva
02-25-2008, 09:55 PM
I cut a 1.83 on street tires there :)

:( Showoff

I like your version better. :lol:

Jersey_TA
02-27-2008, 11:35 PM
I got more than a few 1.88s in the vette

Frosty
02-28-2008, 06:37 AM
You just have to pull through the water very slow, and spin 'em a bit to get whatever is on there off. I've always dead hooked at Atco with no issues

:werd:

There was only one night I had issues back when I had the Z...other than that I've had good luck on street tires there.

deadtrend1
02-28-2008, 06:41 PM
I spin into second gear on street tires, sending the rear to the right and me into a new degree of P**SED off.

I get my new sneakers, can't wait to use them now