PDA

View Full Version : nitrous set up

transamkid
01-09-2008, 11:00 PM
so im getting a system together for the trans am. gonna start out with a 100 shot. so far i have a zex tank and planning on getting a zex perimeter plate along with their rapid fire purge kit. its going to be a wet shot but what solenoids should i go with, i was looking at the NOS solenoids. inside im getting a autometer nitrous press. gauge and how cold should the spark plugs go? also im using the 3° of retard for every 50 shot rule, is this good so far

WayFast84
01-10-2008, 12:29 PM
I thought it was 2 degrees for every 50 shot?

WildBillyT
01-10-2008, 01:39 PM
Start out with the basics-

Fuel Pressure Safety Switch
Arming Switch
WOT Switch and/or Window Switch

The key to not frying your motor is having a number of redundant safeties and above all always be in control of when you want your N2O to spray.

What fuel pump are you running?

That said, it sounds like you could get away with the Powershot solenoids- the Cheater ones may be too big.

transamkid
01-10-2008, 04:37 PM
i was looking at the powershot solenoids. i have a holley black fuel pump, 140gph at 14psi. off my regulator im going to put a fuel log for the carb and use the other port for the solenoid. i want to use a switch that i can press no windows or WOT. maybe later on. also been looking at a MSD digital 6 plus so that way i can keep my reg. timing for street use and then use the box's retard function at the track for the n2o

JSPERFORMANCE
01-11-2008, 03:35 PM
It looks to me like one hell of a mismatched set up with all of the cheapest and worst parts. If I were you I would have someone that has an extensive amount of experience with and knowledge of nitrous oxide systems get you set up before you go the wrong route.

transamkid
01-12-2008, 10:00 AM
is the zex and nos stuff really that bad?

JSPERFORMANCE
01-12-2008, 10:46 AM
They are entry level cheapie stuff, not very reliable or consistant. If you are going to go through the trouble of creating your own custom set up you might as well get the best combo you can get. Otherwise, just pick a company, order a complete kit from them, and install it. It will work just fine. If you want to make real power then you will need some more education and practical knowledge or you will leave parts all over the track.

transamkid
01-17-2008, 11:06 PM
got the tank today. and what companies are you going to suggest hoase that arent entry level

98tadriver
01-18-2008, 01:00 AM
They are entry level cheapie stuff, not very reliable or consistant. If you are going to go through the trouble of creating your own custom set up you might as well get the best combo you can get. Otherwise, just pick a company, order a complete kit from them, and install it. It will work just fine. If you want to make real power then you will need some more education and practical knowledge or you will leave parts all over the track.

hey, i have a zex kit, it wasnt bad at alll! I think we had this discussion about nitrous before josh lol. However, you have more experience with N2O and know alot more than me.

My personal experience and opinion with my kit-

zex is a good beginners kit, i bought mine off of a guy on ebay. it came with a MSD digital window switch, pruge, and the zex kit has the WOT switch built into the lil purple box. etc etc

i ran the NGK TR6's gapped @ .038 for 100 shot

some people pull timing, but i was on a stock tune, so no timing was pulled and i was fine. the window switches are freakin sweet, especially if youre an M6 guy. this way when youre at WOT, it hits at a certain rpm and shuts off at a certain rpm before u shift and all that good stuff.

ar0ck
01-18-2008, 01:21 AM
I have a Nitrous Express remote bottle opener that I've been trying to unload for years. Yours for $200. Brand new in the box.

JSPERFORMANCE
01-18-2008, 07:56 AM
If all you have is the bottle just order a complete kit from someone. NOS kits can be ordered without the bottle.
Like I said before the entry level stuff works fine but if you want to make real power you will have to go better than that. Along with the bigger power comes the need for more knowledge of nitrous systems to keep the tune in line.

jrsfast84
01-18-2008, 04:08 PM
I thought it was 2 degrees for every 50 shot?

I ran nos before 2* for every 50 shot is right then take 2* more cuz if your motor doesn't pull past the 1/4 mile stripe it'll let you know and you don't want that. JR. oh yeah need any nos stuff let me know i got some have to see what i have or you need. JR pm me.

Dante1987
01-22-2008, 01:47 AM
oi i have a NOS wet shot system in my car and works wonders on my car. and definatly wasnt cheap. unless im missing something?