PDA

View Full Version : 9C1 engine and trans.

Blacdout96
01-11-2008, 09:46 PM
So... I went to a local junkyard today, and apparently a local police department finally got rid of some of their cars. they have 6 LT1 caprice 9C1 cars there, and I gotta ask guys, is it worth it to buy the engine and trans and swap it into my car, and will it fit. It does have a 4L60E trans, but is the tailshaft longer or anything? I want to get one so badly, and I will rebuild it, but should I go that route. I also saw a V12 Jaguar enigne that Im drooling to have for something else, but i also wnat the LT1, so guys, will it fit, and will it be worth it?

Mike
01-11-2008, 10:02 PM
trans should be the same....just need the v8 kmember, driveshaft and harness/computer and whatever supporting mods the drivetrain and suspension would need (i know your cars modded but i forget what you have)

Blacdout96
01-11-2008, 10:15 PM
I have an aluminum driveshaft, and I would need the K member, fromt springs, radiator, and instrument bezel. and everythings in those car ,the wiring harness and all, but does painless make one for LT1 cars to simplify it?

WildBillyT
01-11-2008, 10:18 PM
Just be sure you are looking at an LT1 car. The L99 4.3L V-8 was also available in the big cars and it's easily mistaken for an LT1.

Read this first:
http://www.carcraft.com/featuredvehicles/116_0706_police_cars/chevrolet_caprice.html

Blacdout96
01-11-2008, 10:22 PM
oh no these are the real deal LT1's, hell if anyone needs any LT1 parts, let me know and I could pick em up for ya, and I might grab a posi unit from one ( It might of been thrashed in its day but you never know) and supposidly the torque converters have more stall then the stock ones, how much idk but im not swapping it in right away, these htings need to get freshened up, then built the way I envisioned what I wanted, just like how I envisioned my car, and everyone seems to like it, so we'll see. another question I have and this is a biggy..... the Edelbrock LT4 intake manifold, does that fit on LT1 heads, or must I find LT4 heads, I keep hearing conflicting stories of yes and no, but you guys are the pros ot me so what do you guys know?

BonzoHansen
01-11-2008, 10:44 PM
It is probably way more effort then it is worth. If your car wasn't so nice I'd say sell it & get a V8 car. Plus those cop LT1s have been beaten hard.

For that much effort, go LS. Just $0.02

Pampered_Z here is good with LT1s. So is j0n, hit him up at bob's place.

Blacdout96
01-11-2008, 11:03 PM
Thanks guys. Id love to go LS, really, but I figured, hey why not stay period correct at least, and I always liked the look of the LT intakes over the LS's, and it gives me a chance to dabble in the great optispark area lol j/k, but I do wanna try to stay within my V8 engine era with it, and its a tad bit cheaper with the moneyi got now then to by and LS1. I have a crap load of money, but thatnks to the American Government, while thousands of illegal immigrants a day cross our border and never get caught, trying to bring some one here legally is expensive and hard, so I have only so much extra spending money now, and this fits my budget :)

JSPERFORMANCE
01-12-2008, 08:10 AM
GM never put the lt1 in the caprice or impala. The engine is an iron headded version of it that makes less power and is heavier than the lt1.

deadtrend1
01-12-2008, 09:27 AM
think of how much time those cop car engines idle, and idle, and idle, then go WOT, and idle....

Blacdout96
01-12-2008, 10:06 AM
GM never put the lt1 in the caprice or impala. The engine is an iron headded version of it that makes less power and is heavier than the lt1.

You are correct there in the sense that it is not the one found on F-bodies and most likely correct period, but it is considered an LT1 on the cop sites I went to, and as to what I found out about the heads, they outflow the aluminum ones by 20 cfm. the specs are 260hp, and 333 ft. lbs. and im not running it with that cam and stuff, like I said its getting rebuilt the way I want it to. sent out to the machine shop down here, and slowly builtthe way I want it, and will probably take a year or so, the only thing im deciding on is if I should keep the current heads, or buy aluminum. I want an LT4 for it and the hotcam kit that summit sells, those are m two biggy's on my list. but even if I dont get it, an LT1 is on my list to go in my car, its just that heres an engine wihtt he wiring harness and engine together. ill get a trans later, i dont watn the trans in this, as Tim mention, think about them idle then WOT, im sure those trans took a beating. I do thank you all for your input, it has helped me see a few things so far. kep em coming guys

JSPERFORMANCE
01-12-2008, 10:37 AM
If you are seriously considering an lt1 swap why not just get everything out of a f-body? Contemporary corvette has complete drivetrains available with everything you would need to do the swap. Rather than trying to cobble up something from a whooped up cop car.

You can believe your internet experts all you want the heads may outflow but the bowl design and combustion chambers suck, therefore making less power with more tendancy to knock. But then again, I am no internet expert I just work on these cars in real life.

Blacdout96
01-12-2008, 10:52 AM
haha, I dont doubt your expertiese Josh, im just saying whats been said. I would, but everything is so expensive, as I stated earlier I have money for an LS1 if I wanted it, but the ****ing Government is screwing me over trying to get my g/f back here, so I have some play money left over from all this ********, but not enough to buy a LT1 F-body setup, and I thought this could be a good opportunity to get one at a low price and go from there and build it over time, but I mean thats why I came on here, to get your points of views, and its made me think twice about getting it.

JSPERFORMANCE
01-12-2008, 10:56 AM
Give contemp corvette a call you may be suprised how much it will cost. His prices are very reasonable for the quality of his product. Hell, you might even be able to afford that ls1.. A budget is about spending the money you have correctly, not getting the cheapest parts available.

Blacdout96
01-12-2008, 11:05 AM
whats their number and website?

JSPERFORMANCE
01-12-2008, 11:08 AM
not sure, try searching contemproary corvette, i am sure it will come up. Their name on ebay is fparts.

WildBillyT
01-12-2008, 12:07 PM
Contemporary Corvette is off of Old Rogers road in Bristol, PA. I think their website is http://www.contemporarycorvette.com

JSPERFORMANCE
01-12-2008, 12:52 PM
yup, right around the corner from my shop.

Blacdout96
01-12-2008, 01:04 PM
sweet, hopefully they havea good price on a vette

JSPERFORMANCE
01-12-2008, 01:07 PM
I thought you wanted a drivetrain..where did the vette idea come from?

Blacdout96
01-12-2008, 03:11 PM
well no im just saying, cause I see just vettes on there, if im getting a drivetrain setup, im guessing its coming out of a vette? also I want a front brake setup off a 97-04 vette, but I guess Ill talk to the guy to see what exactly he has there.

JSPERFORMANCE
01-12-2008, 03:29 PM
They are a late model gm boneyard they got their name and rep doing vettes but they have f bodys, impalas, and gtos also

deadtrend1
01-12-2008, 04:38 PM
you need to call and ask to talk to the fbody guy. I forget his name. They don't advertise their Fbody stock really.

Mike
01-12-2008, 06:20 PM
I got the dash and airbags for my t\a from contemporary. They were great guys to deal with and their prices on my parts were much Better then everywhere else I looked

unstable bob gable
01-12-2008, 07:55 PM
Dude, I might have to take a ride down your way and have you hook me up w/ these junkyards. I need some hard parts/accessories for my LT1 build up...:idea:

deadtrend1
01-12-2008, 09:23 PM
Dude, I might have to take a ride down your way and have you hook me up w/ these junkyards. I need some hard parts/accessories for my LT1 build up...:idea:

What'cha lookin' fer Bab?

maroman88
01-12-2008, 09:34 PM
lol id like a whole 9c1 caprice :)

JSPERFORMANCE
01-13-2008, 09:13 AM
lol id like a whole 9c1 caprice :)

One of my customers is selling his 95 9c1, it has a lt1 I built in it and a t56, nitrous, etc.etc.etc, I think he wants around $8k

or

There is a lot on rt13 i think up in morrisville that only sells ex cop cars / taxis / government vehicles.

Featherburner
01-13-2008, 10:06 AM
This is Contemporary Corvette's ebay page. http://stores.ebay.com/Fparts_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm Keep an eye on it and you can get a great deal on an engine/trans/wire harness and ECM/PCM.

Tru2Chevy
01-13-2008, 05:38 PM

Contemporary Corvette won't let you wander their yard. You just have to go and ask for a part, and they will pull it and sell it to you.

- Justin

Featherburner
01-13-2008, 05:42 PM
Contemporary Corvette won't let you wander their yard. You just have to go and ask for a part, and they will pull it and sell it to you.

- Justin
I've walked their yard everytime I've been there. Is this a new thing?

Blacdout96
01-13-2008, 05:46 PM
hes got a set of LS1 front and rear brakes ( without spindles) for 60 bucks on eBay, but it nto a buy it now option, or I would of, those are soe good prices for stuff

Tru2Chevy
01-13-2008, 05:46 PM
I've walked their yard everytime I've been there. Is this a new thing?

It has supposedly been that way for several years. If you are there often and know the guys, they might just let you out there because they trust you? :shrug:

- Justin