PDA

View Full Version : 89 GTA Heating

Rafterman
01-13-2008, 07:39 AM
My heat doesn't work, it blows cold air. Do I just need a new heater core or is there something else as well?

deadtrend1
01-13-2008, 07:49 AM
My heat doesn't work, it blows cold air. Do I just need a new heater core or is there something else as well?

does it feel like the flapper is opening when you slide the lever?

hard to give advice on a question with no supporting information

Signs of a bad heater core is the windshielf fogs up quickly and the passenger floor gets wet.

Rafterman
01-13-2008, 07:51 AM
Yea, like i said, i blows cold air, and only cold air, everywhere.

Rafterman
01-13-2008, 07:52 AM
the floor isn't wet, but the windshield fogs up like crazy. i jsut want my heater to start working again, it feels like the flapper is opening.

deadtrend1
01-13-2008, 08:38 AM
the floor isn't wet, but the windshield fogs up like crazy. i jsut want my heater to start working again, it feels like the flapper is opening.

you can change the heater core. The part is cheap enough, but the labor is involved. Thats the downside to it.

maroman88
01-13-2008, 09:48 AM
make sure the vacum lines for the heater control valve under the hood are in good shape and maybe flush the coolant system, worked for me in my 95...

camaro2you
01-13-2008, 11:26 AM
Sounds like the flapper that switches from ac to heat is bad or one of the vaccum actuators is busted, which i have actuators here for you if you need them..let me know.

BonzoHansen
01-13-2008, 11:34 AM
Do those cars have ny kind of valve in the heatr hose that restricts flow when the AC is on max? They go bad sometimes. I just don't know if f-bodies got them.

Rafterman, are both heater hoses hot?

deadtrend1
01-13-2008, 11:35 AM
Do those cars have ny kind of valve in the heatr hose that restricts flow when the AC is on max? They go bad sometimes. I just don't know if f-bodies got them.

Rafterman, are both heater hoses hot?

yes they do. its on the passenger side above the valve cover. I usuallyremove them all together cause I had one exploded on me.

BonzoHansen
01-13-2008, 11:48 AM
yes they do. its on the passenger side above the valve cover. I usuallyremove them all together cause I had one exploded on me.

Yeah, I'd start underhood. No heat is gonna be low coolant (maybe core leak), no coolant flow (blockage {valve, core} or even not connected), or blend door is broken - blend door is cable driven, not vaccum. Or no engine temp. But even if the thing is at 110* you'd get a wee bit of heat. But 3rd gens don't run cold, lol.

camaro2you
01-13-2008, 12:01 PM
I know my 86 didnt come with a heater valve nor where there signs of one ever being there.

Rafterman
01-13-2008, 08:39 PM
I didn't get to check the heater hoses yet on the count of the rain and work, but the air is cold int he winter and hot in the summer, the vent is no use cause the engine could run 260 degrees and it would still be freezing cold air coming at me. since there is zero heat, i figured it would be the core, and i have the manual to replace it all right here, telling me about draining the anti-freeze and disconnecting the battery and such.

98tadriver
01-22-2008, 01:50 PM
ummmmmmmmmmm do you have enough coolant in your car? I'd double check that. one time in a chevy caprice that i had, it was low on coolant, and i didnt have heat. checked coolant, added some, then it was ok! funny how that works

Rafterman
01-22-2008, 02:18 PM
yea, coolant is all good. brrr is it getting COLD out.