PDA

View Full Version : windage tray vs. crank scraper

68pont455
01-15-2008, 11:35 AM
anyone out there think that a windage tray does anything if using a crank scraper. common sense would make one think that the oil flying off the crank would hit the tray and bounce back into the crank. with a scraper it would come off the crank and drain down into the pan sump. what do you all think? i have only what i see on the net for info.

johnjzjz
01-15-2008, 05:38 PM
lots and lots of incorrect info about both - before I start this could be an hour or two of writing -- do you understand the concept of both and what the loss and benefit of both can or wont do for you < their is the old way some like and the new way i happen to like - i can go into it but the new way has an different oil pan and pump volume ( Pontiac ) 400 motor, stock rods- stock length ????/ and cast crank stock with no side cutting < profiling ??? , stock length piston ????????? < need to know if its a short skirt and was the block drilled for and do you have skirt sprayers and a dollar budget so i don't go over the top for no reason --- jz

68pont455
01-15-2008, 06:35 PM
i have a basic concept of what windage is in an engine. i know you need to keep the bulk oil off the crank and dont want to throw excess up into the cylinders. of course i have a budget and the engine is in stock config with good parts. nothing fancy though. the crank is not knife edged or highly modified from its stock appearance. its a 455 engine and i was using the stock windage tray until it broke at the slots. it just seems to me that if i have a scraper i would not need the tray also. the tray slots acted as a scraper but in its simplest form. dont waste a lot of time explaining but hit the high points if you can so i can try to be more informed on the benefits of one or the other or both. thanks

johnjzjz
01-15-2008, 06:53 PM
i have a basic concept of what windage is in an engine. i know you need to keep the bulk oil off the crank and dont want to throw excess up into the cylinders. of course i have a budget and the engine is in stock config with good parts. nothing fancy though. the crank is not knife edged or highly modified from its stock appearance. its a 455 engine and i was using the stock windage tray until it broke at the slots. it just seems to me that if i have a scraper i would not need the tray also. the tray slots acted as a scraper but in its simplest form. dont waste a lot of time explaining but hit the high points if you can so i can try to be more informed on the benefits of one or the other or both. thanks

the idea is to catch the spray oil and not foam it < directional screens work the best for this they trap it like a bee hive would -- the new scraper design has an added benefit it comes with an oil pan with a side pocket that runs full length of the oil pan at a downward angle twards the rear so all thrown oil directional from the crank can in a liquid form ( not bubbles and soap looking stuff ) end up at the pumps intake -- the old side scrapers did not do that they instead bulked the oil up at the gasket edge and i always felt foamed it a bit and in extreme cases leaned out the volume that is supposed to be thrown into the piston skirt area < the company's that sell this stuff know nothing X wall mart workers at best sooo you are on your own with the distance you choose to the crank the scraper ends up -- to close it may oil lean the pistons to far away and its a paper weight my suggest for what its worth is a canton oil pan company's windage tray and mod it to fit your combo knowing a 1/3 rd might have to be trimmed to use -- jz

68pont455
01-15-2008, 07:38 PM
thanks have the same thought. the oil has to go to the pump pickup as oil and as mist or foam. the oil has to get to the bearings first and foremost. i was looking at cantons website earlier at their pontiac stuff. thanks again