PDA

View Full Version : rattle under my car?

usp55
01-17-2008, 01:31 PM
I started to get this rattle under my car a few weeks back and i havent payed much attention to it but id like to know what it is. Its louder on start up than when it gets warmed up. Trying to get a sound clip for yea but ive been busy.

usp55
01-17-2008, 01:38 PM
also i have been having hard started for some time now, takes two hard turn to get it going. Also if i am going 50-60 and step on the gas a little, enough to jump it into overdrive, i get this high piched squeel sometime, not everytime. i just let off it and it goes away.

-thats the only things wrong with the car i figured id throw them in there too.

edpontiac91
01-17-2008, 01:42 PM
Sounds like it might be your Cat Converter starting to break apart. There is a honeycomb material packed inside of it, and when they start to go bad, it can break apart and make a rattling sound. Get it checked out quickly, because if some of those pieces come loose and get stuck inside your exhaust pipe, it will cause your car to overheat due to back pressure building up in the pipe! No big deal, your car will catch on fire and then you'll get a new one that doesn't have that problem. :laugh:

Pampered-Z
01-17-2008, 04:01 PM
Best thing to do it get under it ( when exhaust is cold ) and start hitting on the exhaust, if the cat brink is loose or broken you might hear it rattle in the cat. Mine broke all apart and ended up in the muffler! And check for things like the heat sheilds, they tend to rattle loose over time, exhaust clamp, loose bolts.

As far as the squealing, how old is the serp. belt? or could it be coming from the tires? :nod:

usp55
01-18-2008, 12:37 AM
ill get under it tomorrow. belt is few months old, and deff not the tires.

usp55
01-19-2008, 10:44 AM
almost positive its the cat. It the stock one so will adding a magnaflow hi flow cat change the sound of my car?

Pampered-Z
01-19-2008, 12:56 PM
almost positive its the cat. It the stock one so will adding a magnaflow hi flow cat change the sound of my car?

Shoundn't have any real effect going from stock to highflow as far as sound.

usp55
01-19-2008, 01:18 PM
and performance in negligible too I would assume - its only a 3.4L - might as well get a cheap one

Tru2Chevy
01-20-2008, 02:42 AM
and performance in negligible too I would assume - its only a 3.4L - might as well get a cheap one

You should be able to find generic replacements on ebay for ~$50 shipped.

- Justin