PDA

View Full Version : NOS install in 1987 camaro

Dante1987
01-22-2008, 12:48 AM
ok so i have my 1987 camaro z28. the engine is a 350 TPI. i have a shot of NOS. it appears to be a dry shot but dry means only actual nitrous going into the car right? and the crappy un helpfull instructions say to hook to a fuel line.... wouldnt that mean its a WET shot? and if so wheres the actual spot to hook into the line on the TPI? BIG Question: can i simply not hook into the fuel line and run the nitrous through the solinoids and into the intake?:shock:

98tadriver
01-22-2008, 12:59 AM
If its a wet kit, there should be a fuel solenoid and a N2O solenoid

also, if your car has a schrader valve on it, you remove the lil valve and screw your fuel supply line to that and run it to you fuel solenoid inlet, then run another line to the nozzle.

Dante1987
01-22-2008, 01:09 AM
yea it has 2 solinoids.. and where is the schreder valve on a 350 TPI set up. im sorry its not something thats sitting right there.

deadtrend1
01-22-2008, 11:31 AM
.. and where is the schreder valve on a 350 TPI set up. im sorry its not something thats sitting right there.

fuel rail, passenger side, near the back ... looks like a tire stem valve

98tadriver
01-22-2008, 01:08 PM
After install is complete, please do NOT yell "NOOOOOOOOOSSSSS" or your car will jump 3 feet into the air, and explode in a flurry of car parts and blue flames.

bubba428
01-22-2008, 02:46 PM
http://img2.putfile.com/thumb/1/2120433054.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=7541548)

Dante1987
01-22-2008, 05:20 PM
hahaha i like the comments and pic at the end ahah.

Dante1987
01-22-2008, 09:04 PM
ok so if i want to do just a dry shot how would i only use one solinoid? would i just bypass the second one? and run it strait through the first?

bubba428
01-22-2008, 10:24 PM
wet is better...safer for the motor

98tadriver
01-22-2008, 10:25 PM
hahaha i like the comments and pic at the end ahah.

Its all in good fun :D

i'd stay with the wet shot

Dante1987
01-22-2008, 11:09 PM
how do i attach to the shreder valve... like u guys said its like a tire valve.. how do i activate the fuel into the line?

IROCdan330
01-23-2008, 06:04 AM
with the clear lack of experience you have, i would suggest:

a. quit while you are ahead and stay alive a little longer, while enjoying your car for what it is.

or

b. take it to a professional.

Frosty
01-23-2008, 06:52 AM

a. quit while you are ahead and stay alive a little longer, while enjoying your car for what it is.

or

DING!

Mike
01-23-2008, 07:41 AM
but if you insist to do it yourself......

your kit should have some braided line that connects the fuel solenoid to the fuel rail....when you have that piece of line, you take a valve stem tool and un-screw the core of the valve, then you screw the line onto the valve stem......other side of the line go's to the solenoid, then another line goes out the other side of the solenoid to the nozzle.

the nitrous is the same, one line from the bottle to the solenoid, and another line from the solenoid to the nozzle

thats all there is to it for the fuel and nitrous aspects of the installation. but you still have a lot of work in mounting and wiring that requires some skill and knowledge

Dante1987
01-23-2008, 07:49 AM
well i do know what i am doing... i installed the kit in a crx.... but the set didnt come with the braided hose to connect to the schreder valve so i see ill be stuck with a dry shot. but thanks anyways and just because i didnt know the name of something doesnt mean i lack experience... just terms.

Fast92RS
01-23-2008, 08:27 AM
I would not do a dry shot. You would have to inject the Nitrous in front of the MAF sensor if you car has one and Im not sure if that would work for a TPI. The kit you have is probably a universal kit and not one for TPI. Every kit Ive seen and the NOS kit I have has a Nitrous/ fuel plate that mounts in between the throttle body and intake. I would return your kit or sell it and get the proper TPI Nitrous system like one from NOS Part #: 05151NOS.

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/nos-05151nos_w.jpg

Dante1987
01-23-2008, 08:46 AM

or

thanks alot. glad to hear the typical advice. apparently not knowing where a shreder valve means i dont have any experience on cars. i figured i didnt know something specific so id ask... apparently asking means i have no experience at all. wow with support like that im surprised im into muscle. guess i should stick to ricers then cuz thats easy.... o wait no i get joy outa this and besides i got a NOS kits for 100 bucks.. and a 29 shot of dry shot nos isnt a big boost but enough to work with a stock system and give a tiny amount of boost. sorry for the attitude but sence its clear i have no exprerience in this i need someone else to do it all. u know like the engine swap, the clutch... the nos kit i previously installed... the previous 305 camaro i had... no nothing at all. but thanks for the advice..... and serious thanks to everone who didnt asume i knew nothing and that i was pulling a ricer move going big before going smart.

Knipps
01-23-2008, 08:56 AM

or

thanks alot. glad to hear the typical advice. apparently not knowing where a shreder valve means i dont have any experience on cars. i figured i didnt know something specific so id ask... apparently asking means i have no experience at all. wow with support like that im surprised im into muscle. guess i should stick to ricers then cuz thats easy.... o wait no i get joy outa this and besides i got a NOS kits for 100 bucks.. and a 29 shot of dry shot nos isnt a big boost but enough to work with a stock system and give a tiny amount of boost. sorry for the attitude but sence its clear i have no exprerience in this i need someone else to do it all. u know like the engine swap, the clutch... the nos kit i previously installed... the previous 305 camaro i had... no nothing at all. but thanks for the advice..... and serious thanks to everone who didnt asume i knew nothing and that i was pulling a ricer move going big before going smart.

no one called you rice. they're just trying to save you from blowing up another car. just because you've installed something before and it worked, doesn't mean that you know what you're doing all the time.

WildBillyT
01-23-2008, 10:11 AM
no one called you rice. they're just trying to save you from blowing up another car. just because you've installed something before and it worked, doesn't mean that you know what you're doing all the time.

Exactly.

Dante, the thing about nitrous is that poor parts and poor installs (not a shot at you in any way) lead to nitrous backfires. Now I for one enjoy a good nitrous backfire, but chances are the guy behind the wheel does not.

All joking aside,

Based on what I know, a wet shot will be safer because of the fuel solenoid adding fuel instead of your injectors. If you add a dry shot on an engine whose injectors are already max'd out or dirty you are headed to boom city. I would be very hesitant to use a kit that is old or not right for the application. If a dirty or old solenoid fails (especially a fuel solenoid) when you are spraying then you are in deep trouble. Especially on cast pistons.

Also, in everybody's posts I don't recall seeing any mention of safety switches, like a fuel pressure safety switch, WOT switch, window switch, or anything like that. Controlling when your nitrous sprays is absolutely critical.

bubba428
01-23-2008, 10:16 AM
Exactly.

Dante, the thing about nitrous is that poor parts and poor installs (not a shot at you in any way) lead to nitrous backfires. Now I for one enjoy a good nitrous backfire, but chances are the guy behind the wheel does not.

All joking aside,

Based on what I know, a wet shot will be safer because of the fuel solenoid adding fuel instead of your injectors. If you add a dry shot on an engine whose injectors are already max'd out or dirty you are headed to boom city. I would be very hesitant to use a kit that is old or not right for the application. If a dirty or old solenoid fails (especially a fuel solenoid) when you are spraying then you are in deep trouble.

Also, in everybody's posts I don't recall seeing any mention of safety switches, like a fuel pressure safety switch, WOT switch, window switch, or anything like that. Controlling when your nitrous sprays is absolutely critical.

I already mentioned switches and whatnot to him...just not in this thread. BUT if he has a dry shot set up, he can use a NEW fuel solenoid to make it a wet shot, just have to look around and figure out how much fuel to shoot. that way IF the used solenoid were to fail, provided he had safety switch, window switch it might not suck as much.

JSPERFORMANCE
01-24-2008, 07:29 AM
Tuned port cars do not get dry shots without an advanced fuel managemant system to enrichen the mixture upon activation of the n2o. If you spray nitrous through the thin wire MAF it will instantly fail and you will not have enough time to get your foot out of it before it goes boom.

Nitrous installation and tuning can be pretty advanced sometimes. There is no shame in having your setup professionally installed and tuned for you.

Pampered-Z
01-24-2008, 01:24 PM
Levi,

Before you get upset with everyone please reread and look at what everyone is telling you. Because it sure sounds like the TPI motor is different from what you worked on, people are going to be telling you how to do work using proper terminology and sorry, but you are not presenting yourself as having that thorough a knowledge of these cars. Now, that may not be the case, but right now no one knows you or your knowledge base.

The kit is going to be allot different that a smaller shot you would put on a CRX motor, We're just trying to get you to understand that you really need to have BOTH the kit installed properly and all the proper saftey equipment in place as well or it could/will kill the engine quickly; stock GM pistons and ring lands are funny that way.

John

Dante1987
01-24-2008, 09:21 PM
alright that makes sense. alright well thanks guys i am glad i asked or else this might have gone badly. i just didnt want to spend another 600$ buying a controler and i dont know how to program it. i was going to put the spray behind the maf sensor to bypass the computer and have a straight burn.

NightRydaSS
01-25-2008, 11:13 AM
alright that makes sense. alright well thanks guys i am glad i asked or else this might have gone badly. i just didnt want to spend another 600$ buying a controler and i dont know how to program it. i was going to put the spray behind the maf sensor to bypass the computer and have a straight burn.

"T-minus 3...2...1...Liftoff!!!, we have liftoff of the '87 L98 Motor on it mission to orbit Earth....."

Good thing u asked or else this would have been a very bad day for you.
If you can't pay DON'T spray