PDA

View Full Version : Emissions

7pointoh
01-25-2008, 08:28 AM
Hi all. I'm still fairly new to New Jersey and had a couple of emissions questions. I will be registering my TA soon. No SES light because of a good tune, but in Cali, I failed because I basically took off all the emissions related stuff which the tech saw that on the visual inspection. I passed the sniffer though. So to pass, I had to put back all the emissions related stuff (EGR, AIR, stock exhuast manifold, cats) and retune to pass. Onced pass, I put the performance stuff back on.

Just wondering what do I have to do here? What are the things that the inspectors look for? As much as I like working on my car, I don 't want to have to take things of and put things back on just to pass emissions.

BonzoHansen
01-25-2008, 09:34 AM
2001 with no SES light should be fine as long as there are cats in it.

Anti_Rice_Guy
01-25-2008, 09:46 AM
Best bet is to find a private inspection station, that's the easiest way. Or you could just glue the stuff on so it looks like its there :lol:

JerzLT1
01-25-2008, 10:13 AM
private station and theyll do a plug in and no real visual

V
01-25-2008, 10:43 AM
i have an '01, no cats, no emissions stuff either, big cam too.
but then again, i dont have to abide by any emissions standards or safetyeither for that matter.

but yeah, a private shop will work best. theres no "sniffer" test for OBDII cars, they just hook up the computer and make sure the car says itself is good

NightRydaSS
01-25-2008, 11:09 AM
i have an '01, no cats, no emissions stuff either, big cam too.
but then again, i dont have to abide by any emissions standards or safetyeither for that matter.

but yeah, a private shop will work best. theres no "sniffer" test for OBDII cars, they just hook up the computer and make sure the car says itself is good

By "private shop" do you mean a Minekee/Gas station type place or " Joe Blow's auto repair shop" that happens to do state emissions????

On a side note, i kno someone who failed b/c their gas cap wasn't on correctly as NJ State Inspection station. They gave her some b/s sheet that had to be filled out by an Authorized Emmisions Repair place in order for her to pass. So unless ur car is sure to pass, don't do state!!!

V
01-25-2008, 11:14 AM
yes, private shop as in your local gas station. i just hate paying ~75 bucks to get what the state does fro free, but its worth it.

when i went for my nj state inspection(at motor vehicles), the guys jaw almost dropped when i rolled up barely idling lol. He must have thought i was nuts, 10 min later i rolled out with my 2 year sticker.

7pointoh
01-25-2008, 11:30 AM
In California, emissions was every year. I like the every two years part. If that's the case, I don't mind pulling the emissions parts and then taking it off. Thanks for all the input. I'll have the car rolling on the streets by the end of Feb. Hopefully with some type of FI. $$$ depending.

JL8Jeff
01-25-2008, 02:47 PM
If you run emission's headers with AIR intact and dual cats then you should pass state inspection unless they realize the cats have been relocated but they don't know that. With the OBDII cars they generally just plug the computer in to see that there are no codes or failures. But depending on year, you get a certain number of "not ready" conditions and will still pass. But they could also put the car on the dyno and do a tailpipe test if they think something isn't right with the computer or have a hard time connecting properly. If you get caught driving without cats, there could be a fine and the private garage that passed you could be fined big time($10,000 I think). So it's not always easy finding a private place to pass you without the emission's stuff in place.

BonzoHansen
01-25-2008, 03:19 PM
Cats are the big thing. As long as they are there and the car ain't too loud, and the SES light ain't on you should be ok.

V
01-25-2008, 05:02 PM
7pointoh... if you drive the car less than 3k miles a year, PM me and ill give you all the info on getting it legal as-is

Tru2Chevy
01-26-2008, 05:26 PM
7pointoh... if you drive the car less than 3k miles a year, PM me and ill give you all the info on getting it legal as-is

Not anymore.....

- Justin

V
01-26-2008, 05:36 PM
Not anymore.....

- Justin

i just looked at their website, info is still up there. :shrug:

Tru2Chevy
01-26-2008, 05:38 PM
i just looked at their website, info is still up there. :shrug:

To register collector now you need to actually prove that your car was limited production.

http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28679

- Justin

V
01-26-2008, 05:43 PM
To register collector now you need to actually prove that your car was limited production.

http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28679

- Justin

ah yes, i just found that and PMd him the link... for me its still should be easy if i should have to do it... true SS build #1709... hehe, but since its already under collector status they may not mess with me. They also mentioned a car club could denote a vehicle as limited production... arent we a car club...;-)

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/collector_vehicles.htm

Tru2Chevy
01-26-2008, 05:49 PM
ah yes, i just found that and PMd him the link... for me its still should be easy if i should have to do it... true SS build #1709... hehe, but since its already under collector status they may not mess with me. They also mentioned a car club could denote a vehicle as limited production... arent we a car club...;-)

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/collector_vehicles.htm

Yea, we know. We contacted SEMA-SAN a while ago about this issue, but never heard anything back. We have also been trying to find out the details about what is needed for this "Car Club Letter", but haven't seen any requirements for it.

Seems that if you already have the Collectors Reg, it's not an issue....this only affects new registrations.

- Justin

V
01-26-2008, 05:52 PM
ah yes i just read that old post, being at basic i guess i missed that whole fiasco...wow... that does suck all.... at least im good to go :-D

Anti_Rice_Guy
01-28-2008, 12:43 PM
Yea, we know. We contacted SEMA-SAN a while ago about this issue, but never heard anything back. We have also been trying to find out the details about what is needed for this "Car Club Letter", but haven't seen any requirements for it.

Seems that if you already have the Collectors Reg, it's not an issue....this only affects new registrations.

- Justin

Whenever I see SEMA-SAN, I think of an Asian karate master. :lol: