PDA

View Full Version : fuel filter

usp55
02-01-2008, 11:47 AM
I just replaced my filter and now there is a small leak from the top of the filter where the fuel line screws into the filter itself. Am i suposed to use teflon tape or something here ( i dont think so but not sure) the fitting looked alittle worn when i took the old filter off. Is this a simple replacement part at autozone?(the little screw that is) help

HardcoreZ28
02-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Try tightening it more.....put a wrench on the filter as well if you didn't. No need for sealant on that and the fitting shouldn't wear out. Is it possibly stripped? If it's the same as a thirdgen inline filter then replacing the fitting (if you can get one) would require cutting the end off the line, slipping the fitting over, and reflaring it....and you may end up short then.

V
02-01-2008, 12:32 PM
if im not mistaken there should be a small rubber o-ring on those connections. chekc to make sure its still there and not pinched or damaged

usp55
02-01-2008, 12:44 PM
i got it - i took it off, the first thread looked stripped so i took it off made sure i was screwing it on straight and made it tight - no leak - thanks for responding

usp55
02-01-2008, 12:49 PM
oh and for the first time in i have to say 3 months it didnt take me 2-3 turns and a hard start to get her going.

on a side note i got a new magnaflow hiflow cat put in and holy ***, i didnt realize how much power i loosing - my old one rattled so bad. Even the exhaust was quiet because there was bad flow through the old cat; now she should like a healthy 3.4l. So between a new cat, new fuel filter, and new k&n air filter - im happy with todays work.

cutout installed next week and looking for some headers to put on also.

SteveR
02-11-2008, 01:15 AM
I always teflon tape fuel lines, but I'm paranoid.

WildBillyT
02-11-2008, 10:50 AM
oh and for the first time in i have to say 3 months it didnt take me 2-3 turns and a hard start to get her going.

on a side note i got a new magnaflow hiflow cat put in and holy ***, i didnt realize how much power i loosing - my old one rattled so bad. Even the exhaust was quiet because there was bad flow through the old cat; now she should like a healthy 3.4l. So between a new cat, new fuel filter, and new k&n air filter - im happy with todays work.

cutout installed next week and looking for some headers to put on also.

Glad to hear it.

Teflon sealant and tape are only for use with NPT threads. They can actually hinder sealing on fittings and nuts that were not designed with a sealant in mind.